Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

We have a Delhi/NCR Scorpio group and there are some plans in December to visit some jungles to stalk Stripes.

If for some reason it doesn't happen, you shall find a certain Black Scorpio called The Bull on these roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
I removed it from the boot and kept it under the front seat just in case i want to hit some moron if the situation so arises.

Ha, ha ha..

And will put down the pics of Delhi-Bombay-Goa route in Dec. Already planning has started for epic run down the west in the Christmas/new yr holidays.

Naman
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I plan to do the Agra - Mumbai road trip in December in my Verna CRDi.

Last edited by gd1418 : 17th September 2008 at 12:21.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:49   #17
BHPian

the return trip

So guys, moving further onto the trip. By the time we got up on Saturday it was already 12 in the noon. We caught a noon show of "Rock On". Amazing movie it was. In the eve, we visited THE MARINE DRIVE of Mumbai. EEH was good and once you are in S.Bombay, you realize that this is the place. Well, I guess I didn't see the bombay maddening traffic since it was a weekend. After lazing around the area for 2-3 hours we decided to head to "Hard Rock" Cafe. It was 3-4 am by the time we returned and the next time I rememeber looking at the clock it was already 11 am on sunday. Seriously, I loved the "Weekend Bombay".

On Sunday we made a lesiurely visit to Hiranandani and Galleria. Had lunch at a famous sizzler joint ( forgot the name. It was beside Mocha's ) and came back by 4pm. Rested for a while and made the same preparations for the return trip and finally left home at 530 pm.

The return journey
Decided to take Nh8 from the Western Express Highway. Should have taken it from the EEH only because lots of construction actvity slowed me down considerably. For the first time, I was stopped by great indian thullas right after the toll gate.

Luckily had all the papers except pollution certificate. They were trying to extract money from me but then I remembered that no pollution certificate is required for vehicles which are less than 6 months old. Quickly, uttered that mine is a new vehicle and left the scene. Reached the outskirts (thane turnoff) by 630 pm.

The road surface was amazing. Traffic was minimal although there were huge queues on the other side of people waiting to enter bombay. I rejoiced the fact the I'm on better side of the highway. Quickly got to the 120s and maintained steady 120-130. There was hardly any traffic until the Maharastra border. Drive in the foots of the ghats and the fading light was a joy. Traffic substantially increased once I crossed the border. The drive progresses slow but was still smooth. I reached the Surat by pass by 930. About 15 kms down, saw a decent restaurant and stopped there for dinner. Quickly had dinner, a glass of fresh lime and started for the next leg at 1030 pm. I was lucky to not encounter any jams. The drive was quite decent and I reached the toll gate of NE1 at 100 am.

Right at the toll gate took a 5 mins stretching break, relaxed, had first red bull and started again. Back of the mind I was happy remembering the fact that now the roads will be good throughout and I should be back in Gurgaon by 12 noon. But destiny had other plans. Stepped on the gas and consistently drove at 150. Ahmadabad was passed quickly. The drive was fast and smooth with literally no traffic. Entered Rajasthan before 4 am and got refueled at a club HP pump. Time for second red bull. Washed the fash with cold water and started again. About 20-30 kms from Udaipur the truck traffic had increased substantially. Due to two trucks ( largest possible size ) going bust in the center of the lane approaching Udaipur, traffic was diverted onto the other side and it was single lane drive for the next 5 kms. Crossed Udaipur by 5 am, took the right turn towards Chittorgarh and stepped up the gas. The drive was smooth and quickly the 4 laned roads ended. Again took about 45 mins to cross the city and join the 4 laned roads.

The worst part of the drive was about to come. Started feeling really uncomfortable. Soon realized that it is a stomach upset. Had to stop 3 times for loose motions before I reached Kishangarh. Moreover, during the 3rd stop, while I was away in the restroom, a moron truck driver reversed into the parked car and broke the tail light besided denting the bumper and the boot door. By the time I came back, he was already gone. I started shouting at the pump guy only to regain my composure after 10 mins. Well, what could he possibly do now? Heart broken ( first dent in the car ), I started again. Finally reached Kishangarh turnoff at 930 am. Took a quick chai break and proceeded towards Jaipur. The roads are all good till the Jaipur by pass begins. But after that, the surface is not good. Soon after joining the NH8 again, the traffic increased and the surface futher deteriorated. This was the situation for 50 odd kms. The surface was much better now but no way close to what I encountered from Vadodara to Jaipur.

So, now the wonderful part the drive was already over. Had the 3rd bull to wake me up. I drove in the relaxed manner, not exceeding 100-110 and put on some soft music. Started tailing a Yellow number plate Innova. It was relaxing to drive this way as all the overtaking trouble is taken by the guy ahead of you and you simply follow him. The next 180 kms were driven like this except for about 10-15 kms after the refueling stop just after entering Haryana. I crossed the last toll gate at 130 pm. At that time, I was feeling quite okay and decided to cancel the leave I had taken and go to the office. 15 mins further, I was in my office at Udyog Vihar.

All of you can imagine my condition, sleepless night, 20 hrs drive, upset stomach. But the fact that I just completed the best drive of my life, made all the tiredness go away (temporarily). It was fun time in office discussing with the colleagues my trip to Mumbai. Also, did some work and finally returned home by 9 pm. Quickly had dinner was doozed off reminiscing of the memories of the trip and drive.

The week was as usual, although a little hectic as I had a project deadline that week. Meanwhile I also got the dent repaired. Everything is fine now. Total damages for the tail light + painting and denting was 4 K. So didn't claim the insurance.

On the whole it was an amazing trip. Total distance covered was a little short of 3000 kms including the local distances within bombay. Fuel economy during each tankful varied between 14-16 km/l with overall FE being 15 Km/L. The car performed flawlessly and its an amazing highway tourer if too much space is not required. The suspension setup is comfort oriented and is much better than other hatches (although not in the league of C segment saloons). Steering is very responsive and well weighted unlike normal EPS systems. Steering adds to the confidence at high speeds. Car is very stable at high speeds. Braking was decent with upgraded rubber. Handling is again good ( courtesy PPs) although there is body roll. The horrendous torque makes overtaking a breeze although it takes a toll on the front tires. I expect my set of PPs to last a max of 24-25 K kms with rotation. Without rotation the front tires would easily finish in 15-16 K kms.

Looking forward to more of such trips in the future. Hope you guys enjoyed the travelogue as much as I enjoyed it writing down. And am really sorry for no pictures. Next time there will be no such mistakes.

Naman
Old 17th September 2008, 21:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully narrated Naman !!

But I have to say it requires Guts Of Steel to do what you have done. 20 Hrs of almost Non Stop Driving all alone is not easy and the best option my friend and that includes night driving.

The maximum I can do is 12 hours but that too with at least 3-4 half an hour breaks in between.

Kudos to you mate.
Old 17th September 2008, 22:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup of the trip man, and the FE you got is wonderful for the engine that size and the speeds you were driving.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:27   #20
BANNED

Man, that is a really long trip you have done solo, kudos to you. But better don't take such long trips alone in the future.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hai Naman,

What a great story!!!!!!!!! Really thrilling 20 hours drive.

The Surat Section is the only pain, if they smooth this out, Delhi Mumbai could be a real pleasure drive.

"All of you can imagine my condition, sleepless night, 20 hrs drive, upset stomach. .........."

This is an explosive combination, it would be ideal next to have a companion or taking a break, sleeping it off at night and starting early next day. IMHO, it's worth the effort... for safety's sake.

--Ramky
========
Old 18th September 2008, 18:54   #22
BHPian

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for appreciating the effort and expressing the safety concern as well.

Now when I look back, I can't think to do it again. Its one of those things that one can only do only once and thank god for nothing bad happening. Such things are completely irrational and shouldn't be repeated again. But then, if they are not done even once then life becomes too boring.

So, although I will do the route again and many more, but I swear not to do solo ever again. It was a 1 time affair which was done without any problems and am thankful to god for that.

Naman
Old 18th September 2008, 20:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Now when I look back, I can't think to do it again. Its one of those things that one can only do only once and thank god for nothing bad happening. Such things are completely irrational and shouldn't be repeated again. But then, if they are not done even once then life becomes too boring.

So, although I will do the route again and many more, but I swear not to do solo ever again. It was a 1 time affair which was done without any problems and am thankful to god for that.
Good narration Naman. Was waiting for your travelogue for return trip. That was some adventure you had with your car and yourself. Although it is not safe to drive 20 hrs continuously, as you rightly said, it should be a once in a lifetime thing. Don't try again for safety's sake...

Wonder what our hvkumar has to say about this...
Old 18th September 2008, 20:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great trip you had. However I am sure there will be more to come.
Old 18th September 2008, 20:28   #25
BHPian

Delhi to bombay, in one stretch, without sleep, Bravo! I personally know a few people who did this.

Very well written. Next time DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERA cheers:
Old 18th September 2008, 23:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow, kumar-like feat pulled off :-) Nice commentary
Old 18th September 2008, 23:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Well, thats a sin not to carry a camera while travelling atleast for me. But we will pardon your crime one time for your wonderful narration.
This is the second time Naman that you were travelling without a camera ! But then its pardonable so that we can read your next escapade
Old 19th September 2008, 09:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
This is the second time Naman that you were travelling without a camera ! But then its pardonable so that we can read your next escapade
Well, its really the first time. The Kasauli travelogue, I had the camera and some pics as well, but somehow got delayed in uploading them and finally forgot. Now that travelogue is history.

Will make sure that nothing of that sort happens from the next time. Excuse me for one last time .

Naman
Old 19th September 2008, 20:12   #29
BHPian

This now inspires me to try this sector. Nice writeup.

2 queries - You said 140kmph only reads 3rpm ? in my ford when i was doing 120kmph, it read 3.5 rpm.

Also i hope that you meant that you kept the spanner for personal safety to hit any offenders and not anyone on the road who temporarily frustrates you with his driving / riding / walking skills.
Old 20th September 2008, 10:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij4all View Post
This now inspires me to try this sector. Nice writeup.

2 queries - You said 140kmph only reads 3rpm ? in my ford when i was doing 120kmph, it read 3.5 rpm.

Also i hope that you meant that you kept the spanner for personal safety to hit any offenders and not anyone on the road who temporarily frustrates you with his driving / riding / walking skills.
I wish, I can use spanner for "anyone on the road who temporarily frustrates you with his driving / riding / walking skills" . In India, you can't help it.

I guess you missed the fact that its a diesel. So its not a typo. It indeed does 140 at 3K. Let me know for any specific inputs you need for the sector. Plan it out carefully and then enjoy to the max.

Naman

Most Viewed