Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 23:32   #31
BHPian

Hi Naman,

Nice Writeup. I never knew REDBull is that effective :-).
Old 27th September 2008, 01:45   #32
BHPian

Hey Naman,

Excellent adventure buddy. Very nice write up, I read through with so much excitement :-) Wish to do something like this myself once but only if I have a DIESEL.

Take care
Old 27th September 2008, 19:20   #33
BHPian

Hey Naman, some guts you have. Driving alone through the night is very very tough. Very well done mate.

The strange part is that you places in Mumbai that you mentioned are places where I practically live :-) (Lunch at galleria every second day and weekly pilgrimage to Hard Rock Cafe. The sizzler joint is Yoko's.)

Now that you have seen the roads in Mumbai (The approach roads to Mumbai in Vasai and Virar are just horrendous), you must have understood why I wish BRO was making roads here rather than BMC
Old 27th September 2008, 21:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Hey guys,

I recently did a solo trip from delhi to bombay and back on the 5-7 Sep Weekend.

Naman
Hi Naman,

After going through your travelouge I've changed my route from (Kar-AP-MP-UP-Har). Coz I want to do Bangy-Faridabad in the least time consuming and the safest way possible.

Thanks for such an inspiring deed.
Old 28th September 2008, 00:13   #35
BHPian

hey travelbug,

Make sure you check the road conditions on that route. Although, the route is shorter by 350-400 odd kms still condition will determine how much time you actually save. Also, roads in MP must not be done in night at any cost.

Take the final call based on that.

Naman
Old 28th September 2008, 01:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Naman great adventure loved reading your detailed travelogue.
For those who planning a trip like this just an update on road comditions:- I did Jaipur-Delhi and back just yesterday, the road conditions on Jaipur -Delhi NH8 is still pathetic, atleast till Bawal. But the Delhi to Jaipur side road is much much better.
Old 28th September 2008, 08:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
hey travelbug,

Make sure you check the road conditions on that route. Although, the route is shorter by 350-400 odd kms still condition will determine how much time you actually save. Also, roads in MP must not be done in night at any cost.

Take the final call based on that.

Naman
Hi Naman,

Now it's final even though I have to travel some 400-500 kms more i'll be going trough bang-pune-gujrat-raj route. I think 1 additional tank fill is better then going on to MP roads.
Old 28th September 2008, 09:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Naman great adventure loved reading your detailed travelogue.
For those who planning a trip like this just an update on road comditions:- I did Jaipur-Delhi and back just yesterday, the road conditions on Jaipur -Delhi NH8 is still pathetic, atleast till Bawal. But the Delhi to Jaipur side road is much much better.
Hi deky,

Could you describe pathetic in terms of Speed that you can do on this road( from Jaipur-Gurgaon)? It'll be helpful to me.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Hi deky,

Could you describe pathetic in terms of Speed that you can do on this road( from Jaipur-Gurgaon)? It'll be helpful to me.
Hey,

the condition is not good for driving at 120-130 but it sure isn't too bad that you have you drive 30-40. One can easily maintain 80+. It's basically not smooth because of lots of patchwork. There aren't too many potholes. I did Jaipur bypass start ( south end ) to Gurgaon ( Udyog Vihar ) in under 3 hrs.

Naman
Old 28th September 2008, 11:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - Mumbai on a a bike - 24 hours

Hai TBHpers,

Thought I'd share another adventure on this section, I'm excited just to hear about it, can't think of doing it on a bike now-a-days, 25 years back, it would have been possible for me.

Vikas, a friend from Delhi yesterday around 10 AM started on a Yamaha R 15, 150 CC liquid cooled bike, reached through Nasirabad, Bhilwara, Udaipur around 7 PM, reached Himmatnagar around 10 PM, lost 45 minutes hunting for an ATM, reached Ahmedabad around 1145 PM, managed to drive through the expressway (banned for 2 wheelers), Baroda-Surat section turned out to be another horror story, took 4 hours of difficult drive even during the dead of night due to truck traffic and switch-backs, he said dust was a major problem, 25 kms before Ghodebandear was bad as well, reached Dahisar Yamaha service centre @ 10 AM.

I thinks this is good timings on a 2 wheeler, wonder if someone else has done this under 24 hours on a 2 wheeler.

When I asked him why, he said its just to prove this can be done under 24 hours

Wish him God's Wings on his way back, he's slated to start tomorrow 10 AM.

Will ask him to post a deteailed account once he reaches back Delhi.

--Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 28th September 2008 at 11:11.
Old 28th September 2008, 20:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
The strange part is that you places in Mumbai that you mentioned are places where I practically live :-) (Lunch at galleria every second day and weekly pilgrimage to Hard Rock Cafe. The sizzler joint is Yoko's.)

Now that you have seen the roads in Mumbai (The approach roads to Mumbai in Vasai and Virar are just horrendous), you must have understood why I wish BRO was making roads here rather than BMC
That's not strange, that's similar tastes . It'd be nice to meet up with you on my next visit to Mumbai. Exactly, Yoko's was the sizzler place.

Yeah, you are absolutely right about the roads. They were non existent approaching Mumbai although they were quite decent within Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai TBHpers,

Thought I'd share another adventure on this section, I'm excited just to hear about it, can't think of doing it on a bike now-a-days, 25 years back, it would have been possible for me.

Vikas, a friend from Delhi yesterday around 10 AM started on a Yamaha R 15, 150 CC liquid cooled bike, reached through Nasirabad, Bhilwara, Udaipur around 7 PM, reached Himmatnagar around 10 PM, lost 45 minutes hunting for an ATM, reached Ahmedabad around 1145 PM, managed to drive through the expressway (banned for 2 wheelers), Baroda-Surat section turned out to be another horror story, took 4 hours of difficult drive even during the dead of night due to truck traffic and switch-backs, he said dust was a major problem, 25 kms before Ghodebandear was bad as well, reached Dahisar Yamaha service centre @ 10 AM.

I thinks this is good timings on a 2 wheeler, wonder if someone else has done this under 24 hours on a 2 wheeler.

When I asked him why, he said its just to prove this can be done under 24 hours

Wish him God's Wings on his way back, he's slated to start tomorrow 10 AM.

Will ask him to post a deteailed account once he reaches back Delhi.

--Ramky
====
OMG, that's the ultimate in edurance of a human body. Can't imagine doing it on a 2 wheeler. Kudos to Vikas.

Naman
Old 29th September 2008, 11:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

That is bloody good speed on a 2 wheeler by Vikas. Way back in 1980, we 8 friends (5 are no more) on 4 Bullets (mine included) did Delhi - Darjeeling in 3 days. At that time we thought we did this 1400 odd kms pretty fast. We didn't know the route as there was no mapmyindia etc. or for that matter no Internet..

I still have the bullet, gathering dust, and spirit is willing but the body is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai TBHpers,

--Ramky
====
Old 29th September 2008, 13:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Hi deky,

Hi travelbug
Since my inlaws are in Delhi we end up doing Jaipur-Delhi at least once a month. Lemme just try to segment the road in 4 stretches and then try to tell the road situation as of 24th september
  1. jaipur-shahpura:- pretty good road, not much of heavy traffic as the trucks usually take the jaipur bypass (the one that Naman mentioned), exactly 60kms, average travelling time during day is 50mnts
  2. Shahpura- Bawal :- bad stretch, lots of patchworks, potholes made due to uneven tarmac ( basically poor quality of tar used) lots of heavy traffic, distance about 100 kms, average travelling time of about 2 hours with a stop at Midway behror of about 20 mnts. As per the local news papers, this stretch will be made again as soon as the rains stop, so that means any time now
  3. Bawal- gurgaon :- good raods, but very heavy traffic, big vehicles and even small vehicles distance of about 50kms, can be done in about 45 mnts
  4. Gurgaon- delhi (dhaula kuan) :- best stretch of roads, only time that will take u is at the 2 Tolls, distance of about 40kms, have done it in time varying from 30 mnts to 1 hr 30 mnts, all depending on how crowded the tolls are
Also another suggestion, if you staying in jaipur around Vaishali nagar side (west jaipur) its highly advisable to take the jaipur-ajmer bypass/ elevated highway, instead of taking the Amer-Delhi road. Both the roads meet each other just before shahpura.

The timing is also very important, early mornings say 6'ish is a good time to start from jaipur.

Bad time is around 1800 hrs or after to start from Jaipur, as then when u reach bawal at about 2100 hrs that time all the truckers are making a beeline to enter into delhi.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

I've done Ghaziabad / Vaishali to Jaipur once in 3 hours and another time around 3 & 1/2 hours, both times starting @ 5 am. During the 3 hour recent run, I had to overtake most times thro. left as the trucks / cars were hugging the right side near the devider, the left side was a bit rough but gave me a clear run.

I thought with the toll roads now, it would be possible to do this stretch in 3 hours; from the post of dekay, it would take much more????

On my way in from Jaipur, the same stretch took me 7 hours , hit Gurgaon at 6 pm was caught in a big jam, the overbridges were being made and was a huge mess.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 29th September 2008 at 15:47.
Old 29th September 2008, 16:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hi travelbug
Since my inlaws are in Delhi we end up doing Jaipur-Delhi at least once a month. Lemme just try to segment the road in 4 stretches and then try to tell the road situation as of 24th september
Bad time is around 1800 hrs or after to start from Jaipur, as then when u reach bawal at about 2100 hrs that time all the truckers are making a beeline to enter into delhi.
Hi deky

Thanks for the detailed discription of the route. Will keep all this in my mind and i am not starting my journey from Jaipur, i'll be travelling from Bangalore.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th September 2008 at 16:07. Reason: Donot quote complete post for short reply

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks