Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 15:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Faithless,

Great pictures and account of your trips, brought back lot of lovely memories.

I was there this January 08 - 3 times and almost whole months of Sep-Dec, 06, lots of times in 07 as part of a training programme; we put 600 people thro this programme. Choosing rafting operators with best safety records is important. I've rafted the whole stretch from Biasi to NIM beach almost 30-40 times, flipped on a raipd, drank lots of water, bruised my knees and trekked the area widely along with different groups. The place grows on you and is addictive.

aZa,

The rafting opens up after the rainy season, from Sep till May when the water volumes go down. Dec / jan / Feb, you'd need wet suits get into water or risk hytophermia, water can go down to -3 /4, coupled with temp drop around you, it could be pretty shakey.

If you have to take pictures you must use a rig raft, where the oars are strapped on to the raft and a guide rowas you. I've taken 10,000 + pictures here, they say something of a record; my sony H1 rolls over @ 10,000/- pictures and has rolled over here once.

Mjothi,

The place from where people jump off called the "cliff Jump" point. It about 30/40 feet down, since you will have life jacked, you'd pop up pronto. Helmet and life jacked it an absolute must to jump with a raft ready near you, there's one rapid after this point 30 mtrs down stream, it would be bad news if you get blown down that one.

Some areas there are as deep as 80 feet.

The forest check posts officially close around 7 pm, specially shivpuri up an opens around 6 am.

Anybody wanting anything more specific, I'd be glad to post what I have.

Giving below link of my trip log where my love affair with rafting started.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...chal-trip.html

Incidentally, the expansion for NRS raft is "Not Really Safe"

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th September 2008 at 15:17.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Faithless,

Great pictures and account of your trips, brought back lot of lovely memories.

I was there this January 08 - 3 times and almost whole months of Sep-Dec, 06, lots of times in 07 as part of a training programme; we put 600 people thro this programme. Choosing rafting operators with best safety records is important. I've rafted the whole stretch from Biasi to NIM beach almost 30-40 times, flipped on a raipd, drank lots of water, bruised my knees and trekked the area widely along with different groups. The place grows on you and is addictive.

aZa,

The rafting opens up after the rainy season, from Sep till May when the water volumes go down. Dec / jan / Feb, you'd need wet suits get into water or risk hytophermia, water can go down to -3 /4, coupled with temp drop around you, it could be pretty shakey.

If you have to take pictures you must use a rig raft, where the oars are strapped on to the raft and a guide rowas you. I've taken 10,000 + pictures here, they say something of a record; my sony H1 rolls over @ 10,000/- pictures and has rolled over here once.

Mjothi,

The place from where people jump off called the "cliff Jump" point. It about 30/40 feet down, since you will have life jacked, you'd pop up pronto. Helmet and life jacked it an absolute must to jump with a raft ready near you, there's one rapid after this point 30 mtrs down stream, it would be bad news if you get blown down that one.

Some areas there are as deep as 80 feet.

The forest check posts officially close around 7 pm, specially shivpuri up an opens around 6 am.

Anybody wanting anything more specific, I'd be glad to post what I have.

Giving below link of my trip log where my love affair with rafting started.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...chal-trip.html

Incidentally, the expansion for NRS raft is "Not Really Safe"

--Ramky
======
Hi Ramky,

I wanted to do rafting but I am Hydrophobic. Great fear gulps my once I get into a boat. I hold with all areas as much as possible.

With your experience, can you tell me how people will not fell down much without even gripping any thing when the raft goes through rapids. I read Samurai's rafting experience but still have this doubt.

Can suggestions will help.
Old 19th September 2008, 11:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Hi Ramky,

I wanted to do rafting but I am Hydrophobic. Great fear gulps my once I get into a boat. I hold with all areas as much as possible.

With your experience, can you tell me how people will not fell down much without even gripping any thing when the raft goes through rapids. I read Samurai's rafting experience but still have this doubt.

In our group of 600 people, there were people who had NEVER got into water, who COULD not swim and those who were MORTALLY afraid of water, Hydrophobic. The programme was about braking barriers, so we forced them to jump into water and trust the system, 99% of them did, about 5/6 people refused to get into the rafts, they would end up regreting it throughout their lives.

If you have a good operator and a few people around you whom you trust, then YOU have to take the plunge, its a mental thing. Try it, it would be rewarding. Riishikesh has the best setting for rafting, from baby rapids to big ones.

--Ramky
=========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 19th September 2008 at 11:54.
Old 19th September 2008, 15:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ananthang even i don't know how to swim and also suffer from a bit of hydrophobia but after speaking with our instructor i was at ease.
If you take all the necessary precautions ,wear proper safety equipment and follow the instructions then there is NO need to worry.
Am glad i decided to go for it......had so much fun that am planning on doing this again soon.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 19th September 2008 at 15:29.
Old 19th September 2008, 15:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Hi Ramky,

@ananthang - I dont know how to swim and i did rafting twice last year in the same month as once you do it you just get addicted
For safety measures hold the rope whenever you feel like falling off and stuck ur feet under the holdings to give a better grip and balance.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:07   #21
BHPian

Hmmm. you guys up north have so much fun at your backyard!!!

Great post (for a first timer) and nice pics too.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Ganga River (ignore the danda)

Attachment 50726
See now I have to ask, what was the danda about?
And having seen you photos and read the travelogue, I have decided that the next trip/drive I do will be to North India.
Old 19th September 2008, 21:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great post (for a first timer) and nice pics too.
Thanks buddy.
Quote:
See now I have to ask, what was the danda about?
He he ,i guess it was there to tie the raft.

Quote:
I have decided that the next trip/drive I do will be to North India.
Great ,am sure you`ll love it.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am glad i decided to go for it......had so much fun that am planning on doing this again soon.
Being true to my words i did this trip again last weekend ,infact iv been there twice in the last 20 days.

The only difference was that this time we started our rafting journey from Shivpuri (more rapids = more fun) and stayed at a riverside Camp overnight which was truly an amazing experience.!

Some pics.....
Attached Thumbnails
Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-dsc04753.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-dsc04760.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-dsc04772.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-dsc04774.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-dsc04777.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-p5260028.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-p5260067.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-p5260070.jpg  

Leisure plus adventure trip to Rishikesh-Mussoorie.-p5260101.jpg  

Old 17th June 2009, 23:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Good going mate!!
Seems like the rafting bug bit you!

I had been to hrishikesh during feb-mar this year and stayed over at the camp "Logout@Work". Great people, had amazing fun.

Rafting is something you want to do again and again!! I see you started from Shivpuri, I would suggest next time start from further up. There is one grade 5 rapid thats supposed to be the trickiest and 99% of the times raft overturns. We missed that but still managed to experience some great rapids, grade 3 onwards. The best was three blind mice, and yes double trouble was dissappointing. Shivpuri falls almost midway between the start and finish points from where we started.

Next target is the grade 5 one!!! Will conquer it soon!!
Old 18th June 2009, 12:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rafting is something you want to do again and again!!
Couldn't agree more ,most of my friends who did it for the first time on this trip are after my life to make another scene soon.
Who knows ,i may end up going there again next weekend.

Quote:
There is one grade 5 rapid thats supposed to be the trickiest and 99% of the times raft overturns
I think your talking about `The Wall`
Yes it is one of the most dangerous rapids there.
Ill stick with the lower ones untill i learn how to swim.

Quote:
Next target is the grade 5 one!!! Will conquer it soon!!
Best of luck buddy.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 18th June 2009 at 12:21.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Couldn't agree more ,most of my friends who did it for the first time on this trip are after my life to make another scene soon.
Who knows ,i may end up going there again next weekend.

I think your talking about `The Wall`
Yes it is one of the most dangerous rapids there.
Ill stick with the lower ones untill i learn how to swim.

Best of luck buddy.
Hai Faithless,

I see that you're hooked to rafting..... it has that effect, I was again there this year in February for 3 days with another group.

The campsite looks very much like Snow Leapord River side camp, great place to be. Their safety standards are one of the best.

The season would close next week and open around September, 08.

The Wall is one of the most dangerous, lots of hydraulics. The Rollar Coaster and double trouble are also equally technical ones, rest of them are OK. Knowing swmming is really not the issue, its being cool when you fall off and floating so that the guides can pull you in is more critical.

With the rapids, you never know what can happen and need to be rigged at all times with helmet and life jacket. I fell off with 2 other guys at piddly little "Hilda", the last one before Laxman Jhula, raft hit a boulder, sheer negligiance on the part of the river-guide; drank lots of water and came out wiser... the other two guys would run as fast as they can in the opposite direction, if they see Ganges ever again, got scared ****less.

=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th June 2009 at 16:01.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Cool travelogue and great pics. The place seems rocking and am sure it must be a pleasure to drive on the ghats with mist and fog all over. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see that you're hooked to rafting..... it has that effect
Totally ,but i enjoyed the Camping experience as well.
Infact IF i go there again this weekend then it`ll be for the Camping only.

Quote:
The campsite looks very much like Snow Leapord River side camp, great place to be. Their safety standards are one of the best.
I highly recommend this place/camp.
The service was great and the food was amazing for a camps standard.!

Quote:
The Wall is one of the most dangerous, lots of hydraulics. The Rollar Coaster and double trouble are also equally technical ones, rest of them are OK
Even `Golf Course` is kinda dangerous.

Quote:
Knowing swmming is really not the issue, its being cool when you fall off and floating so that the guides can pull you in is more critical.
Sir that's very difficult to do when your in that situation.
I mistakenly jumped in to try body surfing and ended up drinking lots of water too and it was a harrowing experience ,felt so helpless till the instructor pulled me up.
Need to learn how to swim to gain some confidence to tackle the bigger rapids.

@ Muralisk - Thanks buddy,glad that you liked the travelogue.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 18th June 2009 at 16:59.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:27   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh ya, The Wall, I remember the name now. Like Ramkya Sir said, swimming is not that important for Rafting. Even I don't know how to swim. With proper safety gear and a competent guide you should be fine. Plus, in those rapids, I really doubt swimming can help?

And Ramkya Sir, you seem to know this place like the back of your hand!! I was searching for my lower jaw after I read your "10,000" pictures thing!!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 18th June 2009 at 19:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks