Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:35   #136
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up there loco.. have to praise your guts and daring, just the two of you all the way up there and back.. although i would avoid ripping considering such a long trip, but there are certain stretches which cannot be resisted.. did this trip in '06 by road from mumbai in 2 Qualis'.. you guys are really tempting me to write my travelogue.. will start soon! and truly beautiful pics!! Rock ON!
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:40   #137
BHPian

Thanks Maveric. I tell you it was indeed difficult to resist driving fast on the empty straight, but otherwise monotonous GQ.

I look forward to reading your travelogue
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:46   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Its great to see the amount of elaborate planning and preparation that you did for the trip. I picked up bad habits from my dad, of just packing up and pushing off at the thought of the word TRIP.
Hope to catch up with you in Mumbai. I suppose there is a Mumbai meet happening end of Oct.
cheers Jay. I also belong to your dads school of thought. Its just a lot more fun that way. Planning too much is a real killjoy. but we did read up a lot about this trip so that we know what risks we may face. also the books helped us somewhat.

I have not heard of this mumbai meet. what it is about and when is it?
Old 2nd October 2008, 14:14   #139
Senior - BHPian

@LOCO>> FYI
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...er-2008-a.html
Old 9th October 2008, 18:54   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
How did the SX4 behave??
  • FE - 10 kmpl - average on highway and cities (max we got was 11.5kmpl). I expected at least 13kmpl (and done the costing as well based on this assumption). but to be fair we were really ripping it on the golden quadrilateral - going at a constant 130-140.
[SNIP]
FE between Manali and Leh was also a constant 10 kmpl
I just returned from the Raid and the total FE in my GV was 9.5. Amazingly the FE between Manali and Leh was 10.2 on way up (going easy) and 9.5 on way down. So SX4 and GV give comparable FE
Old 9th October 2008, 21:59   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more pictures and commentary at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1009269
Old 12th October 2008, 23:51   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I just returned from the Raid and the total FE in my GV was 9.5. Amazingly the FE between Manali and Leh was 10.2 on way up (going easy) and 9.5 on way down. So SX4 and GV give comparable FE
not bad at all. i thought the GV could seriously burn a hole through your wallet. congrats

i will chech out your Raid writeup. i will also do it someday.
Locomotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2008, 15:27   #143
BHPian

Loco dude I will bow to you and your brother on venturing in to such a trip in a car like the sx4, nothing beats the presence of the car on the highways and elsewhere as it will go were ever you decide to take it, and having a turbo adding 7.5 psi of boost makes the car just to good to live with. Even your FE figures are right on the mark, I din't see my car giving any better mileage on the highways before it got turbo'd.

Last edited by memo45_m : 14th October 2008 at 15:28.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
Loco dude I will bow to you and your brother on venturing in to such a trip in a car like the sx4, nothing beats the presence of the car on the highways and elsewhere as it will go were ever you decide to take it, and having a turbo adding 7.5 psi of boost makes the car just to good to live with. Even your FE figures are right on the mark, I din't see my car giving any better mileage on the highways before it got turbo'd.
Cheers dude. and congrats for your turbo'd SX4. Hope you have updated your thread with performance specs. I will check it out.

I took the SX4 to Ladakh inspite of a firm belief that I would have huge maintainence bill after the journey (the lure of the great outdoors was too much to resist i guess ) but there is not a single rattle right now. I am amazed. tough girl this SX4.

not bad if the turbo does not affect the mileage at all. perhaps I should also start thinking about it
Old 15th October 2008, 00:40   #145
BHPian

I think it's unfair to compare the FE of the two in this particular road, becoz when due to a bad stretch while in a sx4 you may have to get in to 1st or 2nd gear while in an SUV you can easily do it in 3rd or 4th .Besides your driving experience in this route will definitely give the SUV an add advantage.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:51   #146
BHPian

@jack: its completely fair to compare both the vehicles as the sx4 outside India is actually available as a mini-SUV, that's why the Indian Sedan has 190mm as GC, the only difference is that the Sedan comes with a 1.6l engine for India, but the Hatch comes with a 2.0l engine that is serving in the new GV here in India.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:19   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers dude. and congrats for your turbo'd SX4. Hope you have updated your thread with performance specs. I will check it out.

I took the SX4 to Ladakh inspite of a firm belief that I would have huge maintainence bill after the journey (the lure of the great outdoors was too much to resist i guess ) but there is not a single rattle right now. I am amazed. tough girl this SX4.

not bad if the turbo does not affect the mileage at all. perhaps I should also start thinking about it
Locomotive, hats off to you and your bro...
This might be butwas curious to know the camera that you used during the trip as the snaps were really excellent.
Old 15th October 2008, 21:52   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Locomotive, hats off to you and your bro...
This might be butwas curious to know the camera that you used during the trip as the snaps were really excellent.
Thanks for your compliment mate. I use a canon eos 400D with a sigma 18-200 OS lens. But as they say, its not just the camera
Old 16th October 2008, 11:18   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your compliment mate. I use a canon eos 400D with a sigma 18-200 OS lens. But as they say, its not just the camera
I agree but things like these can go both ways... I have seen good snaps go down the drain due to bad cameras and vice versa too.
In your case, I am sure it was a double whammy... good camera ( I am a big fan of Canon) and excellent surroundings.
As most of the folks on this thread mentioned: This is a great road trip and one should do this atleast once in his lifetime.
Old 16th October 2008, 22:50   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
As most of the folks on this thread mentioned: This is a great road trip and one should do this atleast once in his lifetime.
I so totally agree mate. its a life changer. I havent spent a single day without rearing about of checking out pics of this route since I came back. I am smitten and am certainly going back next year

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks