Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Lovely photographs again. Loved the 5th shot most(of the 2nd set). I almost can remember many of the turns, still fresh in memory. I couldn't click pics till we reached Jispa (we did Leh Manali actually instead of Manali Leh) as I was very very badly down with AMS, kind of severe case. It was due to the coldest night we had at Tso Moriri. In normal case AMS starts at Sarchu and for me I started feeling better once we reached Sarchu and was running and clicking by the time we reached Jispa ;-)
BTW the road section at Sarchu that you've posted was particularly bumpy, bone breaker type.

aah Gata loops, I was totally down and I was thinking why our driver was not taking the short-cuts to reach lower altitude instead of taking the loops he he.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 23rd September 2008 at 01:31.
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:11   #17
BHPian

I was thinking this terrain is only doable in a 4x4.
How did the SX4 handle it?
Any modifications done to SX4 ? like underbody skid plates etc?
Any vehicle related issues during the whole journey?
Old 23rd September 2008, 06:32   #18
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. A dream trip for any motoring enthusiast. I did this in 2001 in a Tata Sumo. Relived the whole experience through your lovely pics. More pics please !!
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lovely trip and snaps. And very well behaved SX4 as expected. Atleast you used the extra bits(GC, tyres etc) given in SX4.

But as others asked, how does SX4 performed ans issues. This one trip is in my list and my SX4 is all set for it. I guess I will be doing it next season.

Last edited by rkbharat : 23rd September 2008 at 08:04.
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful trip and excellent pics !!
As other said, i would be interested to know how SX4 behaved in the xtreme conditions?

Abhi
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:24   #21
BHPian

Damn beautiful pics.
A dream trip for me too. But I am not sure if I want to drive here. I would rather look around and enjoy the nature's wonder.
I have traveled till Rohtang twice and I always wondered whats beyond those mountains.
Every time I see a pic of this wonder land it only increases my curiosity. I should see it with my eyes to believe it.
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:35   #22
BHPian

Lovely pictures. This is going to be my Dream Trip.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics. Indeed you have done what many only dream about. I have done it twice and still need to control myself from doing it all over yet again. Patseo is a nice place but can get horribly chilly during mornings and evenings. Do you know that the Vishal Suraj Tal near Baralacha La is the source for the Bhaga River which joins Chandra River at Tandi and goes on to be the River Ravi near Chamba. Also the More plains after Pang form the starting point of the Tibetean Plateau.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely superb trip. Climate looked pretty good there and not what we had to go through. How was the road condition? Road condition at Zingzing bar area was pathetic. If fact we had no road but way. This area is also as you have described..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
Pic8 - brings a tear to my eye. this was just as much as the camera could capture!!
is mind blowing. Things haven't really changed since then.
Same location at 2006, July. Only with a longer focal length.

The Great Indian Roadtrip - Mumbai to Ladakh in a SX4-zingpan.jpg
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Rudraji cannot match to your photography skills. We have seen this during our photo shoot session in Bangy. Awesome.

Loco: Nice pics man. Hope the return trip pics will start some time soon. Also give some more details in the travelogue. It will be a good read.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Holy c**p, thats some really cool photos, and Rudra you have just killed me with that one snap. I wish I could really learn to use a camera like that instead to fill up the otherwise 9-5 life.

Loco keep going, its been a great relevation of what our country has to offer. I am going to do this trip some time.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Absolutely superb trip. Climate looked pretty good there and not what we had to go through. How was the road condition? Road condition at Zingzing bar area was pathetic. If fact we had no road but way. This area is also as you have described..
is mind blowing. Things haven't really changed since then.
Same location at 2006, July. Only with a longer focal length.
Great shot Rudra, fantastic!! the contrast that you get up there is unbelievable!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd September 2008 at 15:03. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys[ who are asking if this terrain can be done only on 4x4] let me tell you that the Leh-Manali road can be done with any car which have slightly higher GC. And many times it's more to the endurance of the person behind the wheel then the vehicle itself. And SX4 has ground clearance as good as a Scorpio. I've seen cars like Santro/Swift etc during my trip. And to top of it, have seen a Swift crossing the Pagal Nullah just before Pangong Tso with relative ease where Innovas were having trouble to cross that stream. But don't take your Baleno's or Civics though, although I've spotted a Baleno in Leh, dunnno how it manage to come there ;-) .
BTW, lovely shot Rudra.
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:28   #29
BHPian

Rudra, your pic has all the moods captured so well.
What camera was that?
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
And many times it's more to the endurance of the person behind the wheel then the vehicle itself.
Agree with you there. The endurance of the person behind the wheel is critical. I really pays well to be well prepared

Most Viewed