Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 14:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

5 stars!! I do not have words to describe my feeling. Awesome!!

Insha Allah, I will do this trip. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Looking forward to know more about the planning, stuff required and costs incured.

Thanks!!
Old 26th September 2008, 14:45   #92
Team-BHP Support

Loco, awesome writeup and pics. Truly inspiring.
There are some things which we treasure all our life, and trips such as these are right up there, in that list.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Loco - What do you suggest, Can these cars do this kind of trip - Indica V2, Indigo Lx, Safari ?
Old 26th September 2008, 15:56   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent write up and enjoyed every picture.

One word of advise : Instead of paracetamol use Disprin (sylicylic acid - bugger the spelling) for headaches. This has additional benefit of making your blood thinner (that is why it is prescribed to heart patients).

Having done that journey many times (and except for the first time due to foolish advise) never needed diamox. Start with Disprin the day you are traveling in to Manali and continue. One tab a day with your breakfast. And drink lots of water.

Do not take medicines without your doctors advise and DO NOT take Disprin if you suffer intestiniall blleding (some people do) due to it.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:16   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Loco - What do you suggest, Can these cars do this kind of trip - Indica V2, Indigo Lx, Safari ?
I think any car can do this trip (provided you stick to the roads only). only thing is that they should be in a good condition. If oething breaks down on the way it would be extremely difficult to fix it and you may have to take the army's help.

Power definately helps because in the higher altitutudes the engine just cannot breath due to lack of oxygen and loses a lot of power. For example we drove on 2nd and 3rd gear for 90% of the manali leh road. The suspension also takes a severe beating.

I think the Safari can surely do this trip!! As for the Indica and Indigo, the only issue i can see is their GC. the underbody will get hit in several places.

I have seen a maruti 800 do this trip. s I guess any other car could. Just the degree of damage at the end of the journey would vary.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:19   #96
BHPian

I think the attitude should be to take your best and toughest car for this trip. It will take a beating but will probably not let you down
Old 26th September 2008, 16:21   #97

Its Amazing

Congrats Loco, on this amazing trip and the equally amazing travelogue.
I was really dreaming as if I was there along with you guys. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:23   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Excellent write up and enjoyed every picture.
Thanks for the compliment. and thanks for your advice when i had first put the the Mumbai-Ladakh queries on Team-BHP. you have also contributed to this trip being a successcheers:
Old 26th September 2008, 16:32   #99
BHPian

@loco - just one word my friend - MAGNIFICENT

i have been wanting to do Mumbai - Ladakh for a long time. Will do it some time for sure. But super pictures. Simply awesome. BRAVO
Old 26th September 2008, 16:35   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
I think the attitude should be to take your best and toughest car for this trip. It will take a beating but will probably not let you down
Thanks for the info and congrats on such a gr8 journey. We are indeed planning to do it in a safari or innova next year.
Old 26th September 2008, 17:53   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Any one doing this route starting October? I, and many others involved with the Raid-De-Himalaya would be going up and down. God and weather permitting. Hope to post pictures too.

The everlasting beauty about the higher ranges is variety of colors and hues the sky and mountains express in an ever changing vista.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Any one doing this route starting October? I, and many others involved with the Raid-De-Himalaya would be going up and down. God and weather permitting. Hope to post pictures too.

The everlasting beauty about the higher ranges is variety of colors and hues the sky and mountains express in an ever changing vista.
The highway is supposed to be officially closed after 15th October. Are you all doing the trip before this date or does it not matter?

wish I could come love to meet the Raid crew.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:41   #103
BHPian

another panaroma somewhere between Baralachala and Sarchu
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Indian Roadtrip - Mumbai to Ladakh in a SX4-panorama4.jpg  

Old 26th September 2008, 18:59   #104
BHPian

This is the most addictive thread so far for me. Words are few to describe the emotions one goes through looking at such breathtaking sites.

@Loco, Yeah man, take all the time in the world but keep enlightening us about the epic. Even, I wanna go there next season. Maybe something works out and it can be made a tbhp convoy trip.

@Shaken : So what all have you planned till now. You planning for season start or season end.

Naman
Old 26th September 2008, 19:25   #105
BHPian

@naman - I am planning for around July-Aug next season if everythings goes according to plan and provided I get company, might have some family engagements in september.

I have gathering info about things to carry along, tow ropes, jerrycans, jumper cable, wooden planks, options to possibly put some kind of underbody protection for vital components, something like rubber mats, options to raise the car body, applying vinyl strips on the lower part of body/doors to prevent minor scratches, dents, etc.....

Most Viewed