Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

@ anupmathur >> Kindly see the post below!
This was ur advice posted in the route queries section >> At that time I didnt take much note about the words DEPTH and ADVENTURE QUOTIENT. with regards to Spiti, it now has a completely different meaning for me.

21st August 2008, 08:08 #30 (permalink) anupmathur
Senior - BHPian

That would be the best way to do it.

BTW, Jay, you have not mentioned how many days you have at hand.
Also, to what 'depth' do you wish to cover Spiti? What kind of 'adventure quotient' are you looking for?

There are the remote areas which are diversions from the main route: Dhankar and Pin Valley. One extra day at least.

Regarding the Malling slide area, yes, that is a very uncertain patch.
e.g.: I have been twice to Spiti.
Once was going and coming via Malling, because Kunzum was closed and the next time was both ways via Kunzum because Malling was closed! We even waited at Sumdo for 2 days for the malling slide to open so that we could complete the LOOP. Alas, it was not to be.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 3rd October 2008 at 16:32.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves thats was the more capturing travelogue i have gone through in a while , all the more so because it was well supported with captioned photographs. Great Trip man ... you are surely one lucky dude .... :-)
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:34   #108
BHPian

Awesome travelogue.

'jaysmokesleaves' it has been an absolute pleasure going through your entire travelogue.

Your sense of adventour is not only genetic but also very well captured in script as well.

Hope to catch up during a Mumbai meet, if your still within city-limits and not up & above in hilly terrain.

Looking for more to come from your desk.

PS: I always knew that smokin grass elevates you, but to get to where you have gone, smoking-leaves seems a better option hereon. !!!
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:56   #109
Senior - BHPian

Indeed, this travelogue has taken us higher than any other has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
PS: I always knew that smokin grass elevates you, but to get to where you have gone, smoking-leaves seems a better option hereon. !!!
And in the context of this remark, I see new meaning in this little incident:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
This man was busy smoking. So i spoke to him about what his ingredient was. He fell so proud of himself that he could share info about his smoke that he went overboard in taking a few very deep puffs. Next minute he was choking and coughing so badly that his lungs would come out. He even wasnt in a position to drink water that I offered.
You haven't told us the result of this investigation yet.
And did he survive to live and smoke another day?!

Last edited by anupmathur : 3rd October 2008 at 19:57.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:41   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

You haven't told us the result of this investigation yet.
And did he survive to live and smoke another day?!

LOL

He did survive. He recovered 5 minutes later, completely winded.
I did leave him with a little - 'secret of the smoke'.
If you want to smoke her, dont let her smoke you.
Im not sure if he quite got it.
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL

He did survive. He recovered 5 minutes later, completely winded.
I did leave him with a little - 'secret of the smoke'.
If you want to smoke her, dont let her smoke you.
Im not sure if he quite got it.

Of course he didn't, my friend Jack!
You might as well have told him to eat sugar lumps!
Old 4th October 2008, 12:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the good deal of information you have provided above. I had no knowledge of it. Now, if you can tell me the story of Malling Baba.!!

Jay,

As I posted earlier Malling is one dicey patch any time of the year in this loop, never know when it will get closed. Don't know about the BABA

I think you must have taken the new by-pass @ Malling Nulllah, the old one is reportedly closed. The new BP is better than earlier, more wider and easlier to clear landslides now.

From all accounts of Travellers on this lopp, the toughest is the Losar-Granphoo section, full of boulders you described.

To have completed this loop is a test of endurance for man and machine.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th October 2008 at 12:46.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Jay,

From all accounts of Travellers on this lopp, the toughest is the Losar-Granphoo section, full of boulders you described.

To have completed this loop is a test of endurance for man and machine.

--Ramky
======
And I think im going to do it again next year.
Old 5th October 2008, 21:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves - Very nice travelogue, especially liked the pictures. Must have required huge amount of patience to stop you car, walk around and take pictures, considering the number of times you stopped.

Gave it a 5-er
Old 5th October 2008, 21:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

I still havent gotten around to finishing this travelogue - its like a long, engaging book that you dont want to finish with!
Old 5th October 2008, 23:03   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I still havent gotten around to finishing this travelogue - its like a long, engaging book that you dont want to finish with!
I know it is great and engaging, but do not have the patience to finish it. I know PatienceWins!!

Great trip!!
Old 5th October 2008, 23:24   #117
BHPian

Jay:

We have been having some holidays (in UAE) due to Eid and since I had been traveling, I was not even checking my emails, leave alone browsing the net. I get a chance to log-in T-BHP this evening and this travelogue has made me sit at one place for the last 2 hours (didn't even get up for a smoke break).

Your pics, captions, eye for details, depth of words, ...I can go on and on - are absolutely mind blowing. I will have to go through the entire thread once more and enjoy the so many things that I am sure I would have missed (I don't have eye for details).
Old 6th October 2008, 11:40   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
@jaysmokesleaves thats was the more capturing travelogue i have gone through in a while , all the more so because it was well supported with captioned photographs. Great Trip man ... you are surely one lucky dude .... :-)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@jaysmokesleaves - Very nice travelogue, especially liked the pictures. Must have required huge amount of patience to stop you car, walk around and take pictures, considering the number of times you stopped.
Gave it a 5-er
I feel there is no point in making a journey if we do not have the time to STOP and admire what we originally set out to see. In that context taking time out to stop completely irrelevant. Its better to come back with a feeling of content than to return with a feeling of having missed out.
What was more challenging than the trip though was putting this travelogue together. In that context, it took some patience. Glad you appreciate it.
Thanks for the * too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ive gone through my entire travelogue thrice already. It sure is engaging but on the hindsight, i feel it could have been better. And im particularly upset about losing and being unable to share the Pics from Lossar-Mumbai due to the m geting corrupted somehow on my hard drive.
Glad you have the patience to read through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I know it is great and engaging, but do not have the patience to finish it. I know PatienceWins!!

Great trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
Jay:

We have been having some holidays (in UAE) due to Eid and since I had been traveling, I was not even checking my emails, leave alone browsing the net. I get a chance to log-in T-BHP this evening and this travelogue has made me sit at one place for the last 2 hours (didn't even get up for a smoke break).

Your pics, captions, eye for details, depth of words, ...I can go on and on - are absolutely mind blowing. I will have to go through the entire thread once more and enjoy the so many things that I am sure I would have missed (I don't have eye for details).
Glad you liked it. Thanks.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No 4wd was used in the entire trip.
Jay
your travelogue made some wonderful reading since last few days.congrats.

But why you havnt used 4WD,did you feel 2WD adequate for the terrain that you have been through.

Please post in detail about this.

Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 14:49   #120
Senior - BHPian

Well i appreciate the effort you taken both for the trip and also keeping us engrossed in this travellogue. Only thing which comes to my mind is Next trip kab hai?
Well reminds me there is this movie coming called HEROS. You wrote the story for it or what?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks