Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2008, 09:02   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore - Pattambi - Palakkad and back

Had to go to Pattambi in Kerala for personal work on 2/10/2008. Short report about road conditions. I did the drive on my Innova Diesel.

All distances are approximate; time is fairly accurate

Kengeri - 3:00 am - 0km
Mysore Byepass junction - 4:35 am - 120km
Mysore highway is pretty good. Though ran into heavy rains in Channapatna
I don't usually take the byepass in Mysore because the left one is about 12km and the right one is 25km. Straight through the city is about 8km. Because it was early morning, there were no restrictions due to Dusserah.
Nanjangud - 5:00am - 140km
Gundlupet - 5:30am - 170km
Good roads, but 1000s of cars coming from opposite side from Kerala. Lot of cars parked on the other side with people sleeping. I almost thought there is a war in Kerala before one guy clarified they were all coming to Mysore to celebrate Ramzan holidays and Dusserah.
Don't take the right at Gundlupet - just go straight to Bandipur, Ooty road.
Roads are great so far.
Gundlupet-Bandipur road is broken at many places.
Bandipur - 6:00am. - 190km

At toll gate they didn't collect any toll! Just waved me through.

Take right at Theppakkadu to Gudalur. 17km to Gudalur is broken at many places too. I ran into 4-5 idiots who were enjoying the scenery after stopping the car right in the middle of the road.

At the signal junction in Gudalur town, take the right to Nilambur.

Road to Nilambur is very nice. The ghat section is superbly tarred, but with lot of oncoming traffic, it runs out of width often. Only one or two hairpen bends, but the road is full of S curves and your passengers will get tossed around.

From Nilambur, just go straight and take the left fork at the signboard that says Manjeri or Thrissur. Left one takes you to Thrissur.

Just keep going straight via Wandoor, Pandikkad and you will reach Perinthalmanna. 8:35am - 320km. Roads from Nilambur to Perinthalmanna are OK, but road surface is not very smooth (it is not broken, just that the tarring is not all that great - causes some tyre noise).

Cross the junction to follow signboards that say either Perumbilavu, Pattambi or Thrissur. After about 3km, there is a right turn - take it (straight goes to Palakkad - shortest route to Palakkad from Perinthalmanna). About 330 km, you will reach Pattambi (9:00am). Good roads.

You can take a left turn at the junction to go to Shoranur - Thrissur. Take a right to go to Guruvayoor or Thrithala.

While coming back, I came to my home in Palakkad via Ottapalam. Great roads.

Return journey was on 3/10/08 at 5:45am from Palakkad. Palakkad-Walayar-L&T Byepass road is relaid at most places. I filled up at the BP station just before L&T Byepass.

Coimbatore-Avinashi stretch is the worst of the lot. You have maniacs driving buses with lights on who expect you to pull out of the road when they are overtaking. Had a heartstopping moment when I was overtaking a minibus full of tourists. The driver decided to empty his mouth of beetel leaves and his spit covered all of my windshield, the bonnet and the bumper. For a moment I was blinded, but wiper cleared it off partially. Had to stop for 10 minutes to wipe the car clean (I always carry drinking water, washing water, linen to clean, a torch, a jacket with hood, umbrella on long drives - very helpful!) - I didn't want to look like driving a car that just had an accident and is covered with blood!

Had nice breakfast at Bhavani at around 8am. Took Bhavani, Mettur, Thoppur, L&T Byepass, Palakkode, Rayakkottai, Hosur, NICE Road, Bannerghatta Road, Banashankari to reach by 12:30pm after a fuel stop at HP Hosur.

This route is pretty good with four-laning work in full swing. Near Dharmapuri, the Palakkode road has some new potholes, but after that it is great - it has been freshly laid in many parts too.

One note : On the road from Rayakkottai to Hosur, about 10km from Hosur, there are real beautiful straight roads that go up and down a bit. There are two places about 5km apart where the road is broken and blocked to build bridges. The road is blocked by piling on bricks and soil about 4 feet tall and the warning board is kept *behind* the barricade! You can't see the board since it there is a small incline upwards before it. You come out of the incline and you have barely 20 feet to stop.

HTH

- Satheesh

Ex:
1994 Suzuki Samurai
2004 Fiat Palio D ELX (the best of the lot)
Current:
2007 Bajaj Pulsar 150
2007 Toyota Innova D4D 8 seater (23K)
Old 4th October 2008, 19:24   #2
BHPian

To the Point!!! Yes, I too had noticed the bridge building blockades. They sure are oddly placed.
Old 4th October 2008, 20:21   #3
BHPian

Satheesh,
Short and sweet report. Thanks for updating roads conditions. You have covered the Gudalur-Nilambur stretch in a very good speed.
Old 4th October 2008, 21:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP and good report.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Just drove in from Cochin!

C
Quote:
oimbatore-Avinashi stretch is the worst of the lot. You have maniacs driving buses with lights on who expect you to pull out of the road when they are overtaking

My wife took over the wheel and promptly gave it back, she could not take the risky overtakng required. The TN drivers are the new Mallu bus drivers!

Quote:
One note : On the road from Rayakkottai to Hosur, about 10km from Hosur, there are real beautiful straight roads that go up and down a bit. There are two places about 5km apart where the road is broken and blocked to build bridges. The road is blocked by piling on bricks and soil about 4 feet tall and the warning board is kept *behind* the barricade! You can't see the board since it there is a small incline upwards before it. You come out of the incline and you have barely 20 feet to stop.
I stumbled on this road by mistake It was quite good as I did not have to struggle with uphill dino's. The heads up on the bridge repairs helped
Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 03:02   #6
BANNED

Sateesh! A very nice report.
Clear, good use of words, well marked and precise. :

Now, the traffic towards Bangalore is routed via Palakkod as default.
If somebody is interested in sticking to the 4lane highway via Krishnagiri, he should take a right turn just before Dharmapuri. There was a small board indicating Bangalore-straight and Dharmapuri-left. If one misses that, then the next option is to get to Dharmapuri town by taking right at the junction hogenakkal-dharmapuri.
The benefit is a 4 lane highway till Bangalore from Krishnagiri. That's all. You get to stay away from small towns and slightly uneven roads of Rayakottai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks