Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 19:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I guess it will be huge travelogue with lot of pictures

Good to hear that Yaana road is complete, did you travel from Sirsi side or Kumta side to Yaana and from Yaana where you have travelled and which route. The reason I wanted to know if you took Yaana - gokarna cross nh17.

6 months back when I visited Yaana they said before mansoon they would put Tarr road there, did they do it because I told them going by past works I told them I will be surprised if they complete it in 1 year. How many minutes(meters) you walked to see Yaana Rocks/Temple? Please pour in more details on that so it would potential visitors like me.

Regards,

Ravi.
I travelled on the same rote which you told me from sirsi. Hegadekatta -mattigetta - yaana road. I also took the same road and returned to Sirsi. The local guys told me if I take gokarna cross road, anything can happen to the car . So I decided to come back to sirsi and then continue to Mirjan.

This is the direction board from Sirsi. I started from here and returned here.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-dir.gif

From the place where I parked the car, there was a small gate. After the gate we walked for hardly 5 minutes to get to the spot.

We all had put on our shoes thinking it is going to be a long trek. My kids looked at me and smiled after 5 minutes and asked - " Is this your 3Km trek?". I could only smile.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2008, 23:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Finally the day has come. 27th September 2008. Kept all camera batteries for charging. Started packing up the things from morning. Two kids, a lot of stuff. Some how managed their packing by afternoon. For me it was mainly outdoor activities - checking the car, getting eatables, water etc. Done all those and gave the car a good wash, and made her shine like new. Set the trip meter to 0. Civic has done exactly 17000km on this date.

Civic trip meter set, tank full. You can also see my red Swift.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-start.jpg

Kept the pda charger for my PDA cum GPS navigator and arranged invertor inside the cabin for any need of 230V like mobile, laptop, chargers etc. Kept two small cushions and shawls at the back for the kids. Civic’s rear is like a room for them, they even play throw ball sitting on both sides of the rear. Hence checked that I have set the child locks on both the rear doors. Kept a box of tissues for them. Packed my stuff by night, and dumped it in the boot. Had a light dinner by 9.30PM, set the alarms to 3.00AM, with a plan that we’ll leave by 4.30AM. Hit the bed – sleep was no where near. Kids were excited and were asking a lot of questions. I forced myself to sleep for the next days drive.

Day 1

Bangalore - Tumkur - Sira -Chitradurga -Haveri - Sirsi - Yaana -Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola - Karwar - Margoa -Colva.

Woke up as planned by 3.00AM. Kids were ready by 4.00AM and I dumped all their luggage to the boot. Kept water, and other eatables for them at the rear. Kept the details of the trip next to me in the door. Kept a paper and pen for some quick notes also nearby. Civic has a lot of space inside the cabin to keep things, all were fully used. Kept the camera at an accessible distance, and set up the GPS with destination as Haveri.

Took a quick bath, and had a tea – I’m ready to go!!

4.30AM Civic starts to roll. Crossed Krishnarajapuram and reached Hebbal through the outer ring road in no time. Took the outer ring road again from Hebbal, but got a shock to see it fully blocked by trucks. Luck was on our side since we could get an opening in the median, took it and went to Yeshwantpur circle and got on to NH4 from there. I could see the block all the way till the outer ring road reaching NH4. Continued on the NH4 slowly, as the road surface was patchy and also some truck traffic in front.

Reached the first toll gate (50km from start) by 5.30AM. Paid Rs23 as the toll. The toll road was good. Exited this toll road (80 Km) by 6.00AM. Then onwards the roads are pretty good except when there are some deviations due to road repair. The next toll gate (122Km) by 6.30AM, toll Rs40 and continued to zoom away in these good roads. Reached Sira (138km ) by 6.45AM. A little further another very nice user fee roads starts (192 Km, 7.30AM, Rs 35). I could reach a high speed of 185kmph for a few minutes here (shows the quality of the road). In this road I covered 50Km in 30 minutes. Passed through the sunflower fields and wind mills near Chitradurga. After Davengere the roads are bit pathetic till Rannibennur. Reached RanniBennur(319km) by 8.45AM. Halted for break fast here at a road side good hotel. Filled petrol from the nearby BP pump. 26.5 litres for 326Km. Fuel efficiency 12.30Km/ltr.

Changed GPS to destination Sirsi. Started again at 10.30AM (long halt ) reached Haveri(368km) by 11:15AM. Roads from Rannibennur to Haveri is also bad. Too many deviations and stones lying all around. I just kept driving straight on NH4 and suddenly I realized that the left turn to Sirsi is just under the NH4 bridge, hence took a u turn and came back to the exit and drove to inner Haveri town to get the left turn to Sirsi. My wife took over from this point till Sirsi. Reached Sirsi (415km) by 12:30PM. Good roads, but narrow. Many a times we had herds of cattle and goats crossing the road forcing us to near halt.

Here we took detour to Yaana and I took over driving. Take the Sirsi Kumta road, and you’ll get a Y junction immediately. Take the right here.

You can see this board at the Y junction.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-dir.gif

Took the Hegdekatta Mattigatta road to Yaana. I took some unnecessary turns in this road as there were many cross roads and all roads are scenic. Finally reached Yaana by 2.00PM. Odo showed 485Km – I guess I did some 20+km extra as I lost directions in between. GPS from Satguide is useless in these roads as it is not to that extent done. It shows NH perfectly and some prominent SHs also. But can be used as a compass in these situations.

We all took our shoes and changed over to do a 3Km trek. Kids were excited about the idea to walk through the forest, though they were a little afraid to encounter leeches. Took the Camera and started trekking. To our biggest surprise we reached Yaana peak in 5 minutes. The reason, the road to yaana is now completely done. Yaana now is accessible very easily – good for families. But since I had given great hopes of trekking to my kids – they just asked me “Is this your 3Km trek?”. I could only smile.

My kids ready for the trek
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana-start.jpg

Spend 1 hour here. Went to the cave temple, looked around for a while took some photographs.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana01.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana02.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana03.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana04.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana05.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana06.jpg

There was a small stream also there.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaanastream.jpg

Kids returning to the car -see they are not tired at all.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaana-return.jpg

Be aware there is no possibility to get food or water here. Please carry the same. Enjoyed the cool shade we had there for a while.

A stream on the road to Yaana
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-yaanastream1.jpg

Since I had to continue to Goa after this, I enquired with a local guy there driving a bike is it worth going taking the road from Yaana to Gokarna Cross. He just looked at me and the car and said drive back to Sirsi and go to Kumta, and never dream about the other road. I did not think twice. Came all the way back to Sirsi Y junction where we took a detour by 4.45PM. Odo showed 525 Km. That means from the Y junction I had done 110Km up and down Yaana of which 20+km was due to my wrong turns and curiosity. Yaana trip thus requires roughly 4 hours atleast from Sirsi.

Continued from the Y through the Devimane ghat roads to Kumta. The roads are good and could drive fast around 60km in the winding roads. A few kilometers before Kumta you’ll get a right turn showing Karwar, and I took it. This road exits to NH17 near Mirjan. Exited at Mirjan (578km) by 6.00PM. NH17 welcomed me with a huge mess. I could see only mud and stones sticking out. Rechecked with my GPS. It shows the road as NH17. Cursing all who is responsible for that mess kept driving on slowly in that road.

Around 6.45PM I saw Kamat Upachar (607Km) at Ankola. Felt happy, drove the car in. Took early dinner here and halted till 7.45PM there.

Started again, NH17 is a horror till Ankola where Yellapur road joins from Hubli. Here I was happy to see all the trucks turning right to Hubli and Goa roads became free. Further up till Goa Border is fine except for some bad patches - 90%good, 10% bad. Passed Karwar, Checkpost and further on Margoa (703Km). Filled petrol from BP here. Petrol costed Rs50.75. (31 litres, 374 Km, FE 12.06Km/ltr). From here Colva is another 20Km, where we had a room at LaBen, Colva. Reached Colva (723km) by 9.30PM. Roads are narrow after Goa border with lots of curves. Be careful, as all drivers seems to like High beams a lot in this road.

The room was kept ready, and we all took a shower. Kids were sleepy and they were happy about the room and TV. They switched on the AC (Goa was terribly hot at 32 degrees) and unwinded on the bed with some cartoon. Me and my wife decided to hit Colva beach by 10PM. There was a shack called Mickeys. Plunged in. Ordered fenny, King fish steak, etc. and partied till 12.30PM. We returned to the room by 12.45AM and retired for the day.

Total 723 km. Total driving time -13 hours excluding all breaks. 55Km/Hour
Excluding Yaana – 613km, 10 hours - 61.3Km/Hour
Only Yaana – 110km – 3 hours - 37Km/Hour
Removing the detour to yaana, Colva is roughly 600KM, and Panjim 650Km.

Will continue soon.
Old 10th October 2008, 04:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Day 2

30th September 2008 Monday

Colva –Karwar – Ankola – Kumta – Honnavar – Murdeshwar - Maravanthe – Murdeshwar – Honnavar – Mavingundi – Jog Falls – Mavingundi – Honnavar – Kumta – Ankola – Karwar – Colva

From this day on, except for Jog Falls every other place is on the west coast of India. Probably you can call it the west coast drive.

Got up at 7.30AM to see the kids already getting ready for the day. I love them for their enthusiasm. This kind of energy instills you with enough confidence for the great drive ahead. We all got out of the room by 8.30AM walked across the street and had good dosas and tea from an Udipi restaurant. Had it heavy for the day so as to have late lunch if required. After the breakfast we hit the roads by 9.30AM

Car parked at the resort.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-carparkedatlaben.jpg

ODO shows 723Km from home. We slowly got out of the morning traffic at Colva and reached NH17 and drove south. Since we drove through this road the previous night I was confident about the speeds we can do on this road, and also the major curves and intersections. The road is pretty scenic and wide enough for two vehicles.

We reached the check post (790Km, 67Km from start) by 10.30AM. After answering all the questions of Goa Police, we entered Karnataka border and wrote the details of the car in the register and signed there. The Karnataka cops asks a lot about liquor and checks the boot and asks you to enter your car registration number in a log book. What I was stunned was they even want the color, model and manufacturer of the vehicle details. But are very courteous not rough like we expected. Especially if your car is KA registered they seems to just relax in their attitude towards you. But with a MH registered car behind me, I could see they becoming more stringent. There is a no mans land between the Goa and Karnataka Border, reminding me of Indo Pak stuff.

Here I saw a signboard saying Maravanthe 177Km, Murdeshwar 126Km, Gokarna 72Km among other destinations.

After all formalities we drove through and reached Kali bridge (800Km) by 11AM. This is an awesome sight where you see the Kali river and sea meeting. The bridge is over the Kali river and is almost 200 metres. There is a small park at the entrance of the bridge, but not maintained. Still we spent 30 minutes there to do some photography.

Kaali Bridge
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-kaalibridge.jpg

Some Sceneries around
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-011.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-014.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-017.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-020.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-023.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-024.jpg

What Tagore said about Karwar
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-025.jpg

We started from Kali Bridge at 11.30 AM and drove non stop to Maravanthe beach. We reached Maravanthe Beach (970Km) by 1.45PM. 170Km in 2 hours 15minutes. Roads are good till Ankola. From Ankola till Kumta (around 35Km) is pathetic. From Kumta till Murdeshwar is very good. Murdeshwar – Bhatkal – Maravanthe stretch is also good except for some very bad patches within a radius of 10km from Shiroor.

We spent an hour at Maravanthe beach. Saw the way to Turtle bay resort. Since no one was hungry we decided to have tender coconuts and hit out at the Maravanthe beach. Was a welcome break. Played in the sea for a while and started photographs.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-031.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-041.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-047.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-052.jpg

The backwater boating was cancelled as kids wanted to be at the beach. Beautiful, silent uncrowded beach.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-066.jpg

The place where the Sowparnika river and Arabian sea is cut by NH17 is a view that will remain in my memories for a long time.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-057.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-061.jpg

Maravanthe is sure to get a second visit from our family for a holiday. Since it is less than 100Km from Mangalore, probably we’ll combine that with a Mangalore trip.

Day2 continued..
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 04:46   #19
BHPian

Really good write up there..
Waiting for more of your travelogue. I guess all of TBHP members are travelling this time of the year.

Keep them coming
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 04:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Day 2 continued..

We started at 2.45PM to Murdeshwar. Reached Murdeshwar (ODO-1024km, 54Km from Maravanthe) by 3.30PM. From NH17 you have to take a left for 2km to reach the place. You'll not miss it because of the arch they have at the entrance to this road.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-118.jpg

Spend an hour here as well. We did not get down to the beach, as Maravanthe beach over shadowed the Murdeshwar beach.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-085.jpg

We roamed around the park and also visited the temple. What I did not like about this place was, everything is so artificial and does not gel well to the surroundings. Everything is so huge and concretish.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-075.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-072.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-073.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-093.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-101.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-112.jpg

Went to an Udipi restaurant and had tea, dosas and puris. Started by 4.30 to Jog Falls. The data collected till now was Honnavar – Mavingundi road is hopeless. But the curiosity to see Jog overrides the difficulty, yeah even with a Civic . Reached Honnavar by (ODO-1048Km, 24Km from Murdeshwar), put 20 litres of petrol since Jog is far way and we will not find any pumps on the way.

I saw a board showing Jog Falls 66KM from Honnavar. I looked at the roads, yes it is NH206 to Shimoga. I asked a taxi driver how long will it take to reach Jog and the road conditions. He says less than an hour – roads are done. I was shocked, amazed and was enthusiastic again.

Indeed the roads are done. It was a splendid drive till Mavingundi and Jog falls. It was through Varnakeri, Kavlakki, Dibbanagal, Mavingundi, Jog.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-123.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-124.jpg

After about 30Km you'll get a signboard where you have to take left. from here the ghat sections starts. There are two checkposts, one here and one after 30km when the ghat section ends. Roads are good.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-126.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-127.jpg

A view from one of the viewpoints on this road
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-129.jpg

We started at Honnaver by 5.00PM and reached Jog (ODO - 1114KM, 66km from Honnavar )by 6.15PM. In the shimoga route you have to take a right turn and continue for 2Km to reach Jog Falls Entrance. Enough parking place is available and shops too. Pretty well organized by Jog Management Authority.

We spend almost an hour at Jog Falls. The water was very less. Could make out who is Raja, Rani, Rocket and Roarer. A second visit is definite during the monsoons.

In the excitement forgot the camera, and by the time I had the camera sun had gone down. Tried a night shot.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-138.jpg

I read in Outlook traveller that Jog will be illuminated in night with Sulphur vapour lamps and the falls will look golden. Waited till 7.00PM, nothing happened. Probably Outlook travellor has to be updated now. Disappointed started back at 7:15PM.

Reached Honnavar by 8:30PM, and Kamat Upachar at Ankola by 9:30PM. Had dinner there, and started back to Colva by 10:15PM. Reached Colva by 12:00AM. Hit bed directly.

ODO shows 1348Km, a total of 625Km for the day.

Total 625 km. Total driving time -10 hours 15 minutes excluding all breaks. 61Km/Hour
Excluding Jog – 493km, 7 hours 45 minutes - 63.6Km/Hour
Only Jog – 132km – 2 hours 15 minutes - 58.67Km/Hour

Will continue soon..
Old 10th October 2008, 07:00   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Yaana is now very easily accessible. Park the car walk a few minutes you are there. Now its easy for families since they have done the roads all the way. If you really want to trek you still can.
What exactly you mean by few minutes? It's important for me to know. Last time was a real tough time for us to carry heavy photography equipments all the way down.
Old 10th October 2008, 07:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What exactly you mean by few minutes? It's important for me to know. Last time was a real tough time for us to carry heavy photography equipments all the way down.
Well I did not measure the meters exactly as I did not carry that equipment , but a walk with two small kids for 5 minutes took me there.

Hopefully You can carry your stuff easily now.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 07:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hopefully You can carry your stuff easily now.
Great. Last time it was half an hour to go down and more than two hours to come up.
Old 10th October 2008, 08:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Travelogue laluks !! Nice pics too !! I too have the Kali Bridge pic almost like a photo copy. Looks like we both took the pic from the same place and at the same angle.

IMO, from Hebbal if you need to go past Tumkur, it is better to take Yelahanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet route. faster and better roads.

Hope to see the remaining days of the travelogue soon.
Abhi
Old 10th October 2008, 09:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

nice trip Laluks... Maybe I can do this same trip later this month.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pictures. I liked the temple Gopuram in one shot. nice one. Waiting for the rest of the logs.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Excellent Travelogue laluks !! Nice pics too !! I too have the Kali Bridge pic almost like a photo copy. Looks like we both took the pic from the same place and at the same angle.

IMO, from Hebbal if you need to go past Tumkur, it is better to take Yelahanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet route. faster and better roads.

Hope to see the remaining days of the travelogue soon.
Abhi
I took the picture from the park there. I guess you too did the same.

I have not travalled much from Hebbal in that direction before. Hence am quite ignorant about the same. Next time I'll follow this route.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thats good travelogue! Lot of driving. I feel you could have halted in Sirsi itself and travelled next day - siddapur - jog - murdeshwar - marvanthe then to Goa. Easily could have saved 300km I feel. but anyway car is civic so no chance of getting tired.

Its good to see they did good job in constructing roads till that gate! Its surprising that bridge is ready on thw way to yaana as well although expect heavy swing of 10feet water in rainy season on that bridge.

Maravanthe is very nice place just after rains.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 10th October 2008 at 10:32.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Fantastic pictures. I liked the temple Gopuram in one shot. nice one. Waiting for the rest of the logs.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll do it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
nice trip Laluks... Maybe I can do this same trip later this month.
I'm quite happy that I could provide you with details and motivate you.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats good travelogue! Lot of driving. I feel you could have halted in Sirsi itself and travelled next day - siddapur - jog - murdeshwar - marvanthe then to Goa. Easily could have saved 300km I feel. but anyway car is civic so no chance of getting tired.

Its good to see they did good job in constructing roads till that gate! Its surprising that bridge is ready on thw way to yaana as well although expect heavy swing of 10feet water in rainy season on that bridge.

Maravanthe is very nice place just after rains.

Regards,

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi. For some reasons we headed to Goa, if you ask me - may be I wanted to drive a lot .

Driving is my passion. Altogether in my Maruti 800 (60k), Esteem (35K), Swift (16k) and Civic (20K) I have driven 140K Km in less than 5 years, of which 2 years I was not here. 140K in around 4 years - you know my passion then . My only worry is that why I did not become a member here before.

I agree completely, driving Civic you never gets tired.

Even I felt the small bridge near the stream could be flooded in rains. It's too low.

Most Viewed