Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 11:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Wow! what a travelogue. Good that I missed it out before only to get a chance to read it in full stretch. The moment I complete reading every lines, I voted it for a 5 star rating. Enjoyed every bit and what a wonderful photographs.

Will always look for travelogues from you.
Thanks a lot. Feeling highly motivated to do another trip and another travelogue. cheers:
Old 16th October 2008, 22:24   #62
BHPian

laluks, thats a nice travelogue. Nice snaps as well. I particularly appreciate the auto driver Raju, petrol pump security and MRF guys.
You have mentioned that the rim had a crack, so are you gonna change only this alloy or u need to purchase set of alloys? I am not sure though if only one alloy can be purchased.
Old 16th October 2008, 23:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
laluks, thats a nice travelogue. Nice snaps as well. I particularly appreciate the auto driver Raju, petrol pump security and MRF guys.
You have mentioned that the rim had a crack, so are you gonna change only this alloy or u need to purchase set of alloys? I am not sure though if only one alloy can be purchased.
Thank you.

How much ever I thank them, it is not enough.

I am changing that alloy. Gave the order already. It is possible to change as one alloy. Honda's original for civic costs 6750 inclusive of all taxes. It'll come next week. Already changed both tyres - GoodYear NCT5-195/5/R15 costs 3700 inclusive of taxes, fitting and balancing.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2008, 11:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Thank you BHPians.

Just saw that my travelogue was rated 5 star. I am really motivated now, and very happy that these information are helping you guys.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:58   #65
BHPian

Great, very detailed travellogue. Congratulations!
Old 17th October 2008, 18:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

The new alloy wheel has come finally. Tomorrow I'll get it fitted.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-alloy.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-cost.jpg

There is a funny incident while I was checking the costs for the same.

I called up Magnum Honda, the new dealers in Bangalore to check the rates. I was pushed between 4 to 5 persons on phone and finally felt that they are not worth it.

laluks : Hello is it magnum Honda?
otherside : Yes, How can I help you?
laluks : can you put me to your spare parts dept.
otherside : why, what's that department?
laluks : I want to buy a wheel for my civic. I need to know how much it costs.
Otherside : Ok, 1 moment.
person changed.
Otherside : sir when are you servicing?
laluks : I do not want servicing, I want a spare alloy. How much does it cost...

Pushes me to three other persons, similar situation.

finally
Otherside : we sell civic, do you want to buy?

I slammed the phone!!! That was Magnum Honda!!

Later called up whitefield honda and Dakshin honda. Price was similar, both of them did not have stock. Decided to go with Dakshin, and got the delivery today.
Old 17th December 2008, 21:04   #67
BHPian

What a wondeful Travelogue ! It shows the effort you put in to note down even trivial points experienced. Great work.

I'd be driving to Goa this 25th Dec for few days. Planning to go via Shimoga- Honavar- Panaji and while coming back through Amboli- Belgaum- Hubli.

Going with 2 infants hence may not plan for short stints within Karnataka.
Any route suggestions and pointers that helps?

Thanks in advance
Old 18th December 2008, 02:25   #68
BHPian

This should be called "The guide to goa". Deserves all the stars!!

I am looking forward to your next travelogue!

Thanx.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:23   #69
BHPian

Such a detailed description on Goa. Im planning to visit goa this saturday I know that the climate is HOT, but due to over work load Im planning to visit a coastal area. It was very informative. Thanksssssssss alot. I'll post mine once im back
Old 12th May 2009, 20:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Add Bekal,Mangalore,udupi, sringeri, karkala, agumbe....

Guys back from a 11 day expedition to the west coast again. The weather was pleasantly humid at 34-36degrees

This time we covered
Bekal Fort
Mangalore(St. Aloysius Chapel, Tagore Garden, Milagres Church, Rosario church, Mangaladevi temple, Sultan Battery, Tannerbhavi beach, kadri temple, kadri park, etc.)
Suratkal beach
Kapu beach
Udupi(krishna temple, manipal anatomy museum, malpe beach, st marys island)
Dharmasthala
Venur
Karkala
Mudabidri
Kudremukh
Horanadu
Sringeri
Agumbe
Devbagh Island - karwar

and finally 4 days of fun at GOA..AH!!

Watch this space.
Old 13th May 2009, 09:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Day 1 - May 01, 2009
Bangalore - Dharmasthala - Mangalore - Bekal - Mangalore.

Left Bangalore by 4.00 AM. Took the road via shiradi ghats, as our bhpians gave confidence on the road conditions. Never regretted the decision, the roads were pretty good and major issues in shiradi were already patched up.

Idea was to reach Mangalore at the earliest and then decide course of action. But by the time we reached the fork to Dharmasthala, it was just becoming 8.00Am and then decided to visit here and get to Mangalore.

Reached Dharmasthala by 8.30AM. Saw the temple, was not an old one, expected it to be an old stone sculptured temple, but it turned out to be concretised. Place was crowded with pilgrims. [My purpose of visiting the temples in this trip is to enjoy the architectural beauty, and not as a pilgrim]

Visited Manjusha Museum which had a very good collection of some antique and prehistoric items.

Visited the Car museum as well. This has around 50 cars including a 1903 Renault, 1983 datsun and a cadillac of 1954.

Elsewhere here there is 35feet statue of Bahubali. Could not find directions hence did not visit.

Left Dharmastahala by 10.30AM. On the same day here at 3.30PM there were some issues with AP special police and the crowd and I heard 1 person was killed in the shootout, and the next two days were tense here. Thanked our lucky stars that we just covered it earlier.

On the way stopped for breakfast at Dosa Camp. Not impressed at all.

Reached Mangalore by 12.00PM, checked into Nalappad Residency on Light house hill road, which near to city centre but a bit away from the crowd. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. But the lift was from some prehistoric age. Had Lunch at their multicuisine restaurant - "Kadal" - which is on the 7th floor. From here the view of Mangalore city and the sea was good. Food is just above average, with seasonal seafood rates soaring high as comparable to Goa, with no comparable taste at all.

Had a leisure nap till 3.00PM and drove to Bekal Fort in Kasargod, Kerala. Around 50km, an hour to reach on the NH17. Roads are good.

To my disappointment I found the Govt. reconstructing the Fort disturbing the architectural beauty that it was. I wish it was just preserved and not reconstructed. And to my amusement every reconstructed part bore a stone showing the year of reconstruction. I have my disappointment at the scene, but nonetheless enjoyed the place. This fort is made on laterite bricks.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-bekal.jpg

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-civatbekal.jpg

Bekal Fort view beach is calm and very nice. They also have made a garden there.

We returned to Mangalore after the sunset, and on the way we saw boards to Kappil beach, another fort and some other places. Did not venture to any of those.

Reached Mangalore by 8.00PM. Had dinner and retired.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful start again laluks, finally your plan of Goa in May got materialized. not only that you have coupled the Coastal Karnataka as well.

Keeping an eye again on this thread !!
Abhi
Old 13th May 2009, 19:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Wonderful start again laluks, finally your plan of Goa in May got materialized. not only that you have coupled the Coastal Karnataka as well.

Keeping an eye again on this thread !!
Abhi
Thanks Abhi. As I had told you, kids vetoed for Goa, and that is just an excuse to return to Goa
Old 13th May 2009, 21:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

Day 2 - May 2,2009
Mangalore
Ullal Durga - Ullal Beach - Someshwara Beach - Mangaladevi Temple - Rosario Cathedral - Sulthan battery - Tannirbahvi beach - Suratkal Beach - Kadri Temple - Shreemanthi bai Meuseum - Milagres Church - Tagore Garden

Day 2 and 3 was ear marked to explore what Mangalore had to offer. Mangalore is the place where both Nethravathi and Gurupura river flows to Arabian Sea.

We drove out to Ullal by 8.00AM.

Saw Ullal Durga from outside, did not venture in. Heard that this place has miraculous healing powers. This place is in memory of Saint Madani who had sailed to Ullal from Saudi Arabia on a piece of cloth.

We then went to Ullal beach.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-ullal.jpg

We saw that the Summer Sands Beach Resort has a charge to go near the sea, which is just even accessible from outside. Checked the rates for staying, which is around Rs5500 which is day light robbery for that place. Even Goa would be cheaper than that, and on the same note Paradise Isle Beach resort in malpe, Udipi would be more worth than that.

After Ullal beach we drove to Someshwar beach. There is a temple also here. This is a rocky beach, and the big rock into the sea is the main attraction here. We returned back to Mangalore city by 10.00AM.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-someshwar.jpg

We then went to Mangaladevi temple. Mangalore gets its name from the Goddess Mangaladevi.

We then went to Rosario Cathedral, which happens to be Mangalore's oldest cathedral. This was built by Portugese in 1568.

We then drove to Sultan Battery which is near Gurupura river. This watch tower is made like a tiny fort and was used by Tipu to prevent attack by enemy boats. There was also a water sports centre nearby - though none was available on the day.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-sultanbattery.jpg

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-sultanbattery2.jpg

We then drove to Tannirbhavi beach, which was quite calm and pleasant. This away from Mangalore by around 10Kms. There was a sinking ship near the coast (See extreme left in the picture). Mangalore Port is also nearby.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-tannirbahvi.jpg

We had food at Hotel Suraj on the NH17. The food was good and cheap.

We then just drove on the NH17 till Suratkal. Saw the REC Campus on NH17.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-rec.jpg

Then went to the beach. Here there are rocks on oneside and a light house. The place was dotted with young love birds, which obviously could be from Suratkal REC. We, with the children looked like a misfit there.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-suratkal.jpg

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-suratkal2.jpg

We then drove back to Managalore and got to the Kadri park. Sat there for a while and went to the Kadri Temple. Kadri temple has a bronze statue of Lokeshwara which is 1000 years old, and is among one of the oldest in the country.I just drove the Car down only to realise that I cannot turn or go forward as there was steps. Some how managed to turn the car in numerous iterations and climbed back. The gradient was quite high and Civic puffed for breath for the first time in its history with me. NEVER go down in this road, park up somewhere and walk down. Pandavas Cave was also nearby.

We then went to Shreemanthi bhai museum and to our disappointment it was closed for renovation.

It was my second child's 6th Birthday today. We went to Cochin bakers near Kadri and got a cake and headed to the room by 4.00PM. We all had a nice shower and got ready for the Birthday celebration. My kid loved a birthday away from home on a vacation.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-bday.jpg

Near to the hotel we had Milagres Church. We walked to the church around 6.30PM. The church is built in 1680. This church was destroyed by Tipu, as he suspected that the catholics of Mangalore was affiliated to British - his enemy. This place was reconstructed in 1911 and it is said to look like St peters basilica in Rome. Since I have seen the original one in Rome, I can say this comparison is a bit far fetched.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-milagres.jpg

We then walked to the Tagore Park and enjoyed the cool breeze and shade. It is a very tiny park, but maintained. We sat there till 9.00Pm and walked back to the hotel.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

We had seen a board in Mangalore which shows places of interest nearby. Some were on our list and some were not.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-places.jpg

The ones we had on our list was already exhausted and I was thinking what we will do for Day 3. We were booked in Mangalore for this day too. But what happened on Day 3 has even surprised me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks