Team-BHP - Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/47136-civved-goa-yaana-jog-murdeshwar-maravanthe-mangalore-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by laluks (Post 1304314)
Just before reaching Udipi, the roads widened with date palms on the middle of the road, Hifi educational and medical building on the sides, roads well lit. I was like what the heck! Where am I. Guys this was the 2Km in Manipal. The place looked amazing in the night, particularly because you are driving the ghats which was almost untouched by development to a sudden contrast. Colours everywhere!!

Caught my eyes too, was in for a complete surprise when I reached Manipal to meet Sharath during my previous trip.
The only drawback is the coffee day in Manipal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1304917)
Heh, heh, that's my town for you.:D

Next time onwards, no saying " I live in a village" :D .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 1305297)
Next time onwards, no saying " I live in a village" :D .

I still can, I do live in the village just before entering Manipal.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 1305285)
Thanks for this travelogue.I'll refer to this as i'm really inspired to go to goa in my civic now.Will defnitely go.just a couple of friends and we'll rewrite Dil Chahata Hai.

The NH17 up towards Maharashtra reminds me of Dil Chahta hai, which we missed this time. Dont tempt me yaar, I might just join you for another spin :D

Wonderful travelogue laluks. Thanks for sharing with such details. I am planning to go to these places during this year after the rains - may be around September /October. I am not sure how the roads would be by then. Your travelogue will be of great help. Expect a few PMs then. :)

Too many places to go and too few holidays!

Biju

Wonderful travelogue!

Great pictures and you have also captured the details very well!

Missed out on the first one.

I truly believe that you should split out the new one. These posts are very informative and people searching will miss it out.

5* the thread! :)

Since it was an addendum to the first trip I did not split it - probably a title change would be ideal.How about Editing the title - and say Added Mangalore and Udipi! Mods please help.

Day 4, May 4,2009

Mangalore - Udupi

St Aloysius Chapel - Tagore Park - Pilikula Nisargadhama - Kaup beach - Udupi - St. Marys Island - Malpe Beach - Udupi.

Since almost all that we wanted to cover in and around Mangalore got over in the first three days this was more or less a leisure day. Had a very lazy morning break fast and walked to St. Aloysisus Chapel.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-chapel.jpg

This chapel was built in 1900 and has paintings which cover its roof and walls. This is comparable to the sistine chapel in Rome and the paintings. Did not take any pictures inside.

We then walked around to Tagore park, though we had visited the park a few days before. Sat there for a while and decided to head to Udupi at the earliest.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-tagor-park.jpg

But that was not going to be, on the way to the NH from Mangalore saw a board saying Pilicula Nisargadhama is 8km away, and we were heading that way.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-pilikula.jpg

This place is actually on the way to Mudabidri. This place has a lake and a park built around it. Good for a walk. Nothing so special. There was boating in the lake. Not very impressive. Nearby there are a water park and Biological garden.

Unimpressed left the place by around noon to Udupi. On the way checked out Kaup beach.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-kaup.jpg

There is a 130feet light house built by the British in 1901. Heard the beach is dangerous at places.

Reached hotel Karavalli by 2 and took the room. A very old hotel, and it shows. There are a lot of photos of big shots visiting the hotel at the lobby. The receptionist - I dislike even today, as she was busy searching "Vijaya karnataka" news paper for someone while I waited and waited for 30 minutes to get my key to the room. Finally I took my bags and told her get me some key to some room:Frustrati Rooms were as expected, small and oldy. Should seriously consider looking at other options. They have a swimming pool!

Food at Karavalli is average. Tried prawns and kaana-the lady fish. The rava fried lady fish served was small, but tasty. Prawns was medium and they gave lots which was definitely value for money - though it would have been wonderful if it would have tasted better.

After lunch nobody wanted to go to the room - because of the state of it. We then drove to Malpe, and took tickets to go to St. Marys Island. The ticket costs 70 for adult and 50 for children. They will only run the boat if they have 30 adults. We were lucky to have a big gang join us in 15minutes. The boat ride is a long 30 minutes (7km) to the island.

The island is very nice and calm. The island has many stone formation which is very peculiar to this place.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-isl3.jpg

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-isl4.jpg

The only wish being - had the visitors took their waste back to mainland and disposed off properly - the place would have been so serene. We reached there by 4.30 and was told that the last boat to mainland would be at 6PM. Youn can spend even a day fully in the island - it is too good. But you must carry your food and water.

We walked around the island. On one side of the island the beach is covered with powdered shells and not sand. It was so wonderful.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-isl1.jpg

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-isl2.jpg

We climbed around all different varieties of stone formation and enjoyed the waves and breeze.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-isl.jpg

Soon it was 6Pm and our time to leave. While returning on the boat we saw sunset from there. It was good sight.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-susnet.jpg

After reaching the mainland we spend the evening at Malpe beach till 8PM. Paradise Beach resort overlooks malpe beach and looked inviting. Kept it for the next days agenda.

We returned to the hotel and had dinner and retired for the day.

Day 5, May 5,2009
Udupi - Manipal - Malpe - Udupi

Since Manipal has attracted us during the night drive, we decided to visit manipal and look around. Our main agenda was to visit the anatomy museum as we wanted to give our kids some answers to the intriguing questions they were asking throught out the years. The Anatomy museum and pathology Museum at the Basic sciences wing of Kasturba Medical college is a must see. We did not know where this building was, thank fully a lot of cheerful gals walked past and I just took the opportunity. Colourful Manipal.:D

We have read about "Hast shilpa" a wooden house which has a collection of antique items, and a "Heritage Village". Sadly nobody in Manipal whom we asked knew about them - not even the Police at the police station who were completely happy when I just drove in with family.

We drove back to Udupi in the afternoon, visited Krishna temple and got back to the room to take rest till 5PM, before heading to Malpe beach and Paradise Isle Beach Resort for evening and dinner. Spent about an hour playing in the water.

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-malpe1.jpg

Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-malpe.jpg

Paradise Isle beach resort open air restaurant was good. The restaurant staff was quite pleasant. Ordered almost all the seasonal seafood on offer. Food was tasty and value for money. After dinner we had a nice stroll through the beach. We were almost there till 11PM. we finally reached hotel karavalli at 11.30 for the night.

laluks you had a great time for sure:)

on "lady fish or Kane" actually this is not a great season to find a lot of fish, during October/ November its the right time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1311246)
laluks you had a great time for sure:)

on "lady fish or Kane" actually this is not a great season to find a lot of fish, during October/ November its the right time.

Yes - too much fun it indeed was agree:

Is it? then watchout for me in October:D

Day 6, May 6, 2009
Udupi - Karwar -Devbagh Island

We left Udupi by 8AM. We had to check in at the Jungle Lodges and Resorts office at karwar before 12PM. Udupi to Karwar is around 220Km which we had covered in just over three hours.

NH17 is no longer a horror, and surface is good. I have driven NH17 all the way from Kasargod till karwar by now, it is good. Karwar to Goa and further up all the way till Sawantwadi was already better.

We checked in at JLR and parked the Car at their boat jetty. The boat ride to Devbagh Island Beach resort was around 15 minutes. Like all JLR offers this is also a full package. All meals included, and activities like campfire, dolphin sighting and nature walk.

The boat ride to the island. You can see Kali bridge and a JLR houseboat.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-.jpg

We reached the island by 12.30PM and got to our accomodation. We took a Karavalli cottage, which is a proper cottage made of laterite bricks. There are some other types on offer like fishermans hut, loghut and house boat. Our cottage had an ac also. Every cottage had a hammock also in front of it.

We had lunch around 1.30PM. I was unhappy since there was no fish :Shockked: on the menu - which to me is improper on an island resort.

After lunch we lazed around the beach.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-beach.jpg

An admirer for my girls!!
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-beach2.jpg

We watched dolphins from the bay watch centre.
The admirer joins us.
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-baywatch.jpg
Civved : Goa, Yaana, Jog, Murdeshwar, Maravanthe, Mangalore...-baywatch2.jpg

We were there at the beach till late evening. There were some water sports - but we were not so interested.

Nothing to do for me - my car is parked on the mainland. My wife was like "atleast now relax man - your love is far away!"

Around 7 we had a nice campfire and barbeque on the beach. They had quite a variety of dishes but yet again no fish. I complained to them, and they got some dish made from a small fish - finger sized fish :Frustrati

It was a great feeling to have dinner near the sea, where the waves will wet your feet. The evening was calm. The crowd here is mostly families or honeymooners and hence not much noise. But the evening was spoilt by overly drunk Govt. officials and chelas who were on a free visit to the place. They poked their nose in every table and this made all of us to leave the beach to our rooms.

We were told to be ready by 6Am for the nature walk. Thinking what all we would see - we retired for the day.

@laluks - great trip and great narration. Keep more pics coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laluks (Post 1311208)
Since Manipal has attracted us during the night drive, we decided to visit manipal and look around. Our main agenda was to visit the anatomy museum as we wanted to give our kids some answers to the intriguing questions they were asking throught out the years.

I remember visiting this museum in the 70s.

Quote:

We did not know where this building was, thank fully a lot of cheerful gals walked past and I just took the opportunity. Colourful Manipal.:D

Few years back one of the young BHPians who visited here from Bangalore commented that Manipal has the highest concentration of pretty girls.:uncontrol

Quote:

We have read about "Hast shilpa" a wooden house which has a collection of antique items, and a "Heritage Village". Sadly nobody in Manipal whom we asked knew about them - not even the Police at the police station who were completely happy when I just drove in with family.

Actually I know where it is located, it hidden within the Software Technology Park. But you won't be allowed to visit. That Heritage village is created by Manipal group strictly for private viewing, only VIPs get to see it. I have attempted, but was shooed away by the security guards.

Quote:

Paradise Isle beach resort open air restaurant was good. The restaurant staff was quite pleasant. Ordered almost all the seasonal seafood on offer. Food was tasty and value for money.

Surprised to know Paradise Isle has a new cook now, they had really gone to dogs in recent past.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1312086)
I remember visiting this museum in the 70s.

Few years back one of the young BHPians who visited here from Bangalore commented that Manipal has the highest concentration of pretty girls.

Even I remember visiting the museum around 12 years back. One of my uncles was doing his post graduation in Kasturba Medical College then.

As far as the comment on the pretty girls go, I definitely agree :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1312086)
Few years back one of the young BHPians who visited here from Bangalore commented that Manipal has the highest concentration of pretty girls.:uncontrol

Surprised to know Paradise Isle has a new cook now, they had really gone to dogs in recent past.

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 1312118)
As far as the comment on the pretty girls go, I definitely agree :D

COmparison could be drawn from in and around the towns nearby. Not from everywhere:Shockked:

Paradisle isle was the relatively better one I found there, that means its relatively bad there.