Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 07:27   #16
BHPian

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic

Day 5 (23rd July, 2008) : Mangalore – Kaup Beach – Udupi Sri Krishna Temple – Malpe Beach – Udupi

Got up from a long good night sleep. Had buffet breakfast at the hotel and check out by 10.30 AM. The Moti Mahal Hotel is a good option if anyone looking for a comfortable stay in Mangalore. Reasonable rates for a 3 star hotel. Has a swimming pool. After some more shopping we leave Mangalore City by 11.00 AM. Go north and join the highway towards Udupi. Again go through the the heavy truck traffic near the port. Passed the Panambur beach where we were last evening. Udupi is around 60 KMS from Mangalore. The highway is all right with occasional bad stretches and heavy traffic till Surathkal. Have to be very careful when near mini-buses which travel at very high speed ferrying passengers who don’t care for any traffic rules on this stretch. Realized the fuel gauge is down the 1/4th mark. No good Fuel pumps in sight. All I see are small fuel stations filled with trucks. Not taking risk I fill up fuel only for Rs.500. Pass Surathkal town. Once past Surathkal the truck traffic decreases. About 45 KMS after Mangalore on the left there are signboards to the Kaup Beach. Its about 2 KMS towards the left away from the highway. The road leading to the beach is narrow. Park the car and a 2 MINS walk under shaddy Coconut trees will take you to the beach. There are a few shops here and a small beachside restaurant and bar. Chilled beer and fish fry it is!! The beach is clean and deserted. There is an old lighthouse built on the rocks at the beach. The waves were rough at this time of the season as told by a localite, but was a nice sight watching the waves crash into the rocks. Spent some time at the beach and left the place by 1.30 PM towards Udupi. Again get back on the Highway. Entered Udupi through the main entrance with the arch at the road.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04568.jpg
Kaup Beach

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04569.jpg
The rocks at the beach

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04570.jpg
The old lighthouse at the beach

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04573.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04574.jpg
Pictures taken atop one of the numerous bridges you come across on this stretch

Call up my friend again who suggested Kediyoor Hotel at Udupi near the bus stand. Checked into the hotel by 2.00 PM. Nice hotel with clean rooms. Veg and Non Veg Restaurant. AC rooms around 1k with good parking facility and very close to the Sri Krishna temple. Freshened up and went to the Udupi Sri Krishna Temple. Had the Darshan and then went to the dining area for lunch at the temple. The lunch comprises of Nice hot rice, 2 types of sambar and a sweet. The sambar was one of the best I have had till now. The lunch is served in a huge dining area. Have to sit down on the floor and lunch is served on a banana leaf. After the heavy lunch went back to the hotel. The weather was very hot and humid.

Planned to go to Malpe beach in the evening which is around 6 KMS from Udupi town. Before going to Malpe beach, went to the famous Diana hotel near the bus stand for the famous Gadbad Ice cream. Gadbad ice cream is basically a mixture of fruit, nuts, ice cream and jelly. If visiting Udupi try this one. Really refreshing but little heavy on the stomach though.

Changed to beach wear and was at the beach by 5.30 PM. Very clean beach and not much crowded as being a weekday. Got into the beach and played in the sea water for sometime. The water was pretty calm even in this time of the year. was at the beach for an hour. My wife who was waist deep in the water suddenly gets covered in a huge wave. And looses her spectacles in the process. Expensive ones. The spectacles disappears under the water in a flash. With no glasses on, her vision is blurred and is almost about to crying. We are not carrying spare glasses. On top of that it starts raining pretty heavily as well. I guide her back to the car and I change back to dry clothes. Its almost 7.30 PM now. Most shops in Udupi close early. The rains are the heaviest I have experienced in the entire trip. I slowly make my way hoping to find an Optical Shop. Get back on the Highway and enter the town again through the Main Arch. Hardly 400m ahead the first shop I discover is an Optical shop. I Thank God. The guy is almost closing his shop for the day. I stop the car and tell him about the incident. We sit at the shop for 20-30 MINS while he prepares a temporary pair of spectacles matching the lens power which my wife remembered. Pay the guy and thank him. Head back to the hotel. Take a hot water bath and have dinner. The rubber mats inside the car was wet from the rains and sea water after the beach. Clean the rubber mats and seats. Finally call it a day.

Day 5 has been eventful. The lunch at Udupi Sri Krishna Temple was unforgettable. Same for the Gadbad ice cream at Diana Hotel. My wife loosing her Spectacles at Malpe Beach and finding an Optical shop was like a miracle. Lesson learnt from mistakes. Told her to carry spare spectacles and keep it in the car on road trips. The Swift performed effortlessly without trouble. I feel I am getting a good mileage. The car is all dirty. Badly requires a complete wash.

Continued....
Old 10th October 2008, 08:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Dream Diesel,
The final picture u posted on the way from Kukke to Gundia junction, is not a stream, but a full sized river "Nethravathi"
Oops.. yes I missed that. its indeed a river. With the rains never ending all the streams were looking like rivers...
Old 10th October 2008, 09:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this festive season is raining travelogues in TBHP.

Nice writeup DD, nice pics too.

Abhi
Old 11th October 2008, 04:04   #19
BHPian

Day 6 (24th July, 2008) : Udupi – Agumbe – Sringeri – Chikmagalur

Wake up by 10.00 AM. It’s a rainy morning. I feel the car should have been cleaned a little because of heavy rains all night. Go down to the parking lot and check. The layer of brown mud all over the car is still there. Get back up to the room. Get ready and have breakfast. South Indian breakfast at Udupi is really good. Pack the bags and check out of the Hotel by 10.30 AM.

Right next to the hotel is the higway towards Manipal. Take the highway and have to find a good fuel station to fill diesel. Find a good HP Fuel station on the left before Manipal. Fill up fuel for Rs.800 and also get the tyres checked for air pressure. Enter Manipal town. The roads at Manipal are bad and slow go past Manipal and head towards Agumbe. But the road after Manipal towards Agumbe starts to get better. At some places the roads get narrow when passing through small towns. Pass through Hebri and then Sita Nadhi Nature camp. Pass over the Sita Nadi which was in full flow. All this while its raining steadily. After Hebri the ghat section at Agumbe starts.

The road towards Agumbe is beautiful with fog covered mountains on both sides. But as you start clibing up the road up the Agumbe Ghats there are potholes at regular intervals. Its 1.00 PM and I have to turn my headlights ON. The thick tree cover and fog force all vehicles travelling to switch on their headlights. Reach the view point at Agumbe. Its raining pretty heavily and no views because of fog. Stop there for 5 minutes and get back on the way towards Sringeri. After the Agumbe town you reach a junction. The left goes to Thirthahalli. Took the straight road which had signboards mentioning Sringeri. Nice single lane road with scenic and splendid evergreen forests. The roads from Agumbe till Sringeri was good with lots of twisties. Reach Sringeri town by 2.30 PM. Park the car close to the Temple.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04583.jpg
Roads after Manipal towards Hebri

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04584.jpg
Towards Hebri

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04595.jpg
Sita River

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04597.jpg
Bridge over Sita River

The temple was closed by 12 noon. We were directed to go to the dining area at the temple and have lunch there as luch closes by 3.00 PM. Its very good and consists of Hot White Rice, 2 types of sambar and sweet. Again this dining are was huge similar to Udupi. Sit on the ground and lunch is served on a huge steel plates. Finish lunch and go around the temple. There is the Tunga river next to the temple. Water was ice cold here. All this while constant drizzle. Leave Sringeri by 3.30 PM.

Chikmagalur is another 100 KMS from Sringeri. Nice beautiful roads from Sringeri to Chikmagalur. Nearing Chikmagalur the coffee estates starts. Passed through Ballehonnur and the roads starts to get bad approaching Chikmagalur. Entering Chikmagalur town you will find a Cafe Coffee Day on the right and after CCD is Planters Court Hotel and check into hotel by 5.30 PM.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04610.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04611.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04615.jpg
Sringeri Temple

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04616.jpg
Tunga River next to the temple

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04630.jpg
Spent some time here at this spot. Was very calm and peaceful.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04634.jpg
Views after Sringeri

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04637.jpg
Roads after Sringeri

This hotel is near the KSRTC bus stand and a very decent hotel. It has been raining throughout the day. I would recommend Planters Court to anybody visiting Chikmagalur. They also have a nice family restaurant. Keep the luggage in the room, rest for some time and head towards Mulayanagiri (Highest peak in Karnataka) which is 9 KMS away from the town. The roads till the deviation towards Mulayangiri is good. But after that its filled with numerous small potholes. Further ahead there is another deviation and have to take left towards Malayanagiri. The straight road leads to Baba Budangiri and Kemmangundi. Start the climb towards the peak. The roads now are narrow just enough for 2 cars to pass each other. This has been the scariest drive ever. As we keep clibing up the fog gets denser and denser. Halfway up the hill its completely covered by fog. The visibility is not more than 10 feet. I don’t see the road/turn ahead. Its only as you keep moving ahead that you see the road/turn ahead. Just 2-3 KMS from the peak there is a small temple. Till here was manageable. I decide to carry on. Big mistake. The road is narrow and only place for one vehicle to travel at a time. I encounter a couple of hairpin bends and with almost visibility reduced to almost 5 feet now. I can hear my heart beat now. There is no way I can stop and take a U turn. (Last time I had been to Mulayangiri with my friends on a clear sunny day we had taken this route all the way to the parking lot on top.) The road is narrow and the other side a deadly drop which I cannot see because of the fog. Now the I realize how big the mistake was. The asaphalted road ends and now it’s a muddy road. I off-road slowly up ahead to reach the parking place where the place is big enough to take a U turn and get back to safety. I travel a kilometer slowly and road keeps on going. Finally I reach dead end what looks like a parking place for vehicles. The top to Mulayanagiri peak is another 1000 steps away from here. Not a soul in sight. I park the car and try to get out. I have difficulty opening the door. I manage to get out. The wind is blowing really hard carrying the fog over. I feel the wind might blow the car away. Mind does strange things when you are in such a situation. I park the car facing the direction of the wind thinking the cars aerodynamic built might counter the wind.

Both of us get out of the car. Take a few snaps and look around at the marvel of the wind and fog. Spend about 10 MINS and get back into the car. And slowly start our decent. As we keep going down the road I feel a sense of security. Head back down to the town and stop at the Cafe Coffee Day after the hotel which we noticed while coming to Chikmagalur. Both of us have a Hot Chocolate drink and talk about the Mulayanagiri adventure and how scary it was. Spend an hour at the coffee shop and get back to the hotel. Have dinner at the hotel restaurant and get back to bed.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04672.jpg
The road towards Mulayangiri

Name:  DSC04657.jpg
Views: 2641
Size:  173.2 KB
At Mulayangiri

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04659.jpg
Bracing the strong heavy winds

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04661.jpg
The mud road we took to reach the top

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04662.jpg
The parking place at the top

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04675.jpg
This is actually the Mulayangiri Hill. Top Half covered with fog.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04678.jpg
at CCD

Day 6 was an adventurous one. The scary ride towards the top of Mulayanagiri. The ride through Agumbe and after Sringeri was very scenic and the rains added to the ambiance. My wife is all sad because this wonderfull road trip is almost coming to an end. And tomorrow we get back to Bangalore and start the mechanical lifestyle again. Tomorrow I ride back to Bangalore and I know the roads will be good throughout. The Swift has been wonderful tackling the bad roads up the mountain and little bit of off-roading. Badly needs a wash though.
Old 11th October 2008, 08:18   #20
BHPian

Day 7 (25th July, 2008) : Chikmagalur – Bangalore

Get up on a rainy morning. Feeling bad that the trip is coming to an end today. I wish I could ride some more for a couple of more days and try to explore more places. Get ready and go to Town Canteen, Opposite DACG Polytechnic in Chikmagalur. About a kilometer from the hotel. This place was recommended by my friend. The Butter Masala Dosa (aka Benne Masala Dosa) is just too good. Fill up on Dosas and get back to the hotel. Pack the bags and check out by 12 noon.

Take the highway towards Belur. The roads outside Chikmagalur town is a little bad with conscruction activity going on. After Chikmagalur the roads are all right with some broken tarmac till Belur. After Belur the road is smooth till Hassan. As you approach Hassan town its horrible. The roads inside hassan is also in a very bad state. After Hassan the roads get better and is good till Bangalore. Passed CR Patna, Hassan, Kunigal and Nelamangala.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04686.jpg
Lake just outside Chikmagalur town

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04692.jpg
Road from Chikmagalur to Belur

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04714.jpg
Road from Belur to Hassan

Just after Kunigal start getting calls about the bomb blasts in Bangalore. Make some calls and find out the near and dear ones are fine. Get back to Bangalore by 4.OO PM and I am parking the car at my home in Jayanagar by 4.30 PM. The exciting road trip finally came to an end.

On Day 7 both of us were dull, my wife especially. I promised future road trips more often. Came back safely home after a long seven day road trip.

Travelled close to 1350 KMS. The car returned an average of 19.1 KMS/L. Good mileage taking into account the 1.5 HR drive in 1st and 2nd gear after Kukke. Got the car washed completely (including underbody wash) and a coat of wax after that, the car is all shining now.

Have to get the headlamps upgraded to 100/90W and the windscreen fogging issue taken care of.

My next destination is Goa in November… I plan to go through Chikmagalur, Udupi and then travel north to Goa via Murdeshwara and Gokarna. And get back to Bangalore through Shimoga.

THE END

Regards
Godwin aka DreamDiesel
Old 11th October 2008, 11:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post

the windscreen fogging issue taken care of.

My next destination is Goa in November… I plan to go through Chikmagalur, Udupi and then travel north to Goa via Murdeshwara and Gokarna. And get back to Bangalore through Shimoga.
For the fogging issue, you can use Sonax Anti mist spray. Should be available at Car decor stores. Costs about 350. You have to spray inside the windscreen and wipe of making a coat of it on the glass. It helps a lot.

The roads from Maravanthe up to Goa in NH17 is good except the 35 km Kumta Ankola stretch. Also 10km around Shiroor in between Maravanthe Murdeshwar stretch is also bad.

From Maravanthe to Goa Border we took around 2.5 hours for 170 KM last week.

Wish you good luck. Cheers.
Old 11th October 2008, 13:43   #22
BHPian

DD thanks you very much for comprehensive travelogue. Pictures are very catchy. Some pix remembered good old tour day when I am studying. Yep!! your first travelogue is a Hit Movie . We also enjoyed your 7 day trip. Update us with more about EF if possible.
Old 11th October 2008, 23:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

A very nicely written travelogue. I really liked the flow and the details.

Getting into the sea during monsoon is a very dangerous business. Did you know even fishing boats are banned from entering the water until August 15th? Fortunately Malpe is one of the safest beaches, still this is not to be tried.

Mulayanagiri drive can be scary even during clear day, I can understand how it must have felt in bad weather.
Old 12th October 2008, 00:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue dude, hope to see more from you.

Just one nit-picking, while on a tour try to avoid TV programs, be it a stupid cricket match or a F1 and enjoy the place instead. Actually you've missed the best time of the day, i.e evening time and the sunset to watch a match.
Old 12th October 2008, 02:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Nice travelogue dude, hope to see more from you.

Just one nit-picking, while on a tour try to avoid TV programs, be it a stupid cricket match or a F1 and enjoy the place instead. Actually you've missed the best time of the day, i.e evening time and the sunset to watch a match.
Yes Kaushik.. thats true. But I have tried hard but just cannot afford to miss an F1 race..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A very nicely written travelogue. I really liked the flow and the details.

Getting into the sea during monsoon is a very dangerous business. Did you know even fishing boats are banned from entering the water until August 15th? Fortunately Malpe is one of the safest beaches, still this is not to be tried.

Mulayanagiri drive can be scary even during clear day, I can understand how it must have felt in bad weather.
Thanks Samurai. Yes fishing was banned due to rough waves at these places. Malpe beach was calm and we did not venture too deep into the sea. Mulayangiri drive was indeed scary.. I would never attempt it again in bad weather. But had quite an experience.cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potlaravi View Post
DD thanks you very much for comprehensive travelogue. Pictures are very catchy. Some pix remembered good old tour day when I am studying. Yep!! your first travelogue is a Hit Movie . We also enjoyed your 7 day trip. Update us with more about EF if possible.
Thanks potlaravi..Fuel efficiency?? FE or EF did not get that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
For the fogging issue, you can use Sonax Anti mist spray. Should be available at Car decor stores. Costs about 350. You have to spray inside the windscreen and wipe of making a coat of it on the glass. It helps a lot.

The roads from Maravanthe up to Goa in NH17 is good except the 35 km Kumta Ankola stretch. Also 10km around Shiroor in between Maravanthe Murdeshwar stretch is also bad.

From Maravanthe to Goa Border we took around 2.5 hours for 170 KM last week.

Wish you good luck. Cheers.
Someone else on TBHP also suggested Sonax Anti Mist. I have bought it already. Waiting for rains

I am following you travelogue closely because thats most of the route I will be covering. Hopefully the roads should be repaired.. Just hopping.
Old 12th October 2008, 02:35   #26
BHPian

DD - Nice travelogue with nice pictures. Photos taken during the rains have a charm of their own. Your photos with the rains & the fog has that charm. Keep driving & keep shooting (pics!)
Ranjith
Old 13th October 2008, 01:00   #27
BHPian

hi DD
nice trip and photos.with your narration and pics, i feel as if i travelled to those locations. waiting for your goa travelogue.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:09   #28
BANNED

A nice and a detailed write-up,

Wondered with so many wonderful destinations in and around Karnataka, we dont get to know about all these places generally.

Very nice tp see all T-BHP'ans for covering places and detailing them here on travelogues
Old 15th October 2008, 02:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A nice and a detailed write-up,

Wondered with so many wonderful destinations in and around Karnataka, we dont get to know about all these places generally.

Very nice tp see all T-BHP'ans for covering places and detailing them here on travelogues
Thanks for the comments.. I agree. Even though I feel I have seen most places in karnataka, there is always more to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkey2 View Post
hi DD
nice trip and photos.with your narration and pics, i feel as if i travelled to those locations. waiting for your goa travelogue.
Thanks benkey. Goa is another couple of months to go.. Will definitely make that a better travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
DD - Nice travelogue with nice pictures. Photos taken during the rains have a charm of their own. Your photos with the rains & the fog has that charm. Keep driving & keep shooting (pics!)
Ranjith
Thanks NN. Though the camera was a simple point and shoot digital camera, good you liked the pics. Will be shortly uprading my camera..Definitely better pics then
Old 15th October 2008, 09:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Day 5 (23rd July, 2008) : Mangalore – Kaup Beach – Udupi Sri Krishna Temple – Malpe Beach – Udupi

Before going to Malpe beach, went to the famous Diana hotel near the bus stand for the famous Gadbad Ice cream. Gadbad ice cream is basically a mixture of fruit, nuts, ice cream and jelly. If visiting Udupi try this one. Really refreshing but little heavy on the stomach though.

Yea, Diana's is really a landmark for Udupi. I enjoy the gadbad there everytime I am in Udupi. I also enjoyed some good seafood at a 3 star restaurant by the name of Udupi Continental or something by that name

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks