Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 03:19   #1
BHPian

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic

Route : Bangalore - Nagarhole - Madikeri - Sullia - Kukke Subramanya - Dharmasthala - Mangalore - Udupi - Agumbe - Sringeri - Chikmagalur - Bangalore

My very first travelogue at TBHP.

This is a pretty late write up of my road trip which covered most of South Karnataka in Monsoon. Just after my marriage, because of the sudden preparation did not plan any trip thereafter. Was planning to go Kerala, but because of Monsoon dropped the plan. Goa was actually planned for later part of this year during Christmas. So even Goa is out. I thought, let us just hop into my Swift VDI, pack the bags and just hit the road with my better half. I knew I had to go to Coorg and from there just follow you instincts and explore the Western Ghats in monsoon and come back to Bangalore in a weeks time.

The car had had a spin after a tyre burst during my last road trip http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post977483 and I was skeptical whether to take the car or not. After the repairs there was no problems and the car felt exactly the way if felt before in terms of handling.

Preparation :
The car had just completed its third service. Loaded lots of music on the portable HDD. Packed bags for both of us with some raingear. Bought an extra memory card for the digital camera. And also bought a Karnataka Road Map. Previous evening before the road trip, filled up fuel at IOC (Rs.1150) on RV Road and got the tyre pressure checked and hit the bed early that night.

Day 1 (19th July, 2008) : Bangalore - Hunsur - Nagarahole National Forest - Irupu Falls - Madikeri

The alarm rang at 5.00 am. Got up and get ready. Bags were packed and kept ready. Took the car out, cleaned the windscreen and idle the engine to warm it up for 5- 10 minutes (Daily Ritual). Hit the road by 6.00 AM. Took the Kanakapura Road to reach NICE road. The roads were empty and slightly damp because of the overnight shower. The car was responding really good after the service. With the roads empty and silent, was enjoying the turbo whistle from the engine.

Took the NICE road and reached Mysore road before Bidadi. The Mysore road is smooth and you really enjoy the drive early morning. Stopped around 8.30 AM at Maddur Tiffany's for its ever tasty Masala Dosa. Picked up some water bottles and drove towards Mysore. Just after Srirangapatana, took the deviation towards Hunsur that takes you towards Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary. This 2 lane road, though good you will find occasional potholes till you reach the Mysore – Hunsur State Highway.

Surprise as I reach the Mysore – Hunsur SH. The road is neatly done, 4 lane with markings neatly painted. I remember when I last went to Madikeri a couple of year’s back this road was riddled with potholes and heavy lorry traffic. Now with the wide roads in no time I was at Hunsur. Now to look for the deviation towards Nagarahole (Rajiv Gandhi) National Forest. Entered the Hunsur town by taking the left from the SH. On this road you will find a Fuel Pump and right next to it is the road towards Nagarahole (Rajiv Gandhi) National Forest.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04145.jpg
Bangalore - Mysore Highway

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04151.jpg
Road after the deviation at Srirangapatna towards Mysore - Hunsur SH

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04175.jpg
The newly built Mysore - Hunsur SH

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04180.jpg
The road after Hunsur towards Nagarahole

Now this is a good single lane road. As you keep travelling villages get smaller and smaller. Then its open grasslands. Stopped at the Entrance of the National Park Check Post at around 11.00 AM. Entered the Vehicle, passenger, destination details in the register and the guy let me pass. Again amazed at the single lane newly laid road. Now I eased off the accelerator, travelling at steady 30-40 KMPH occasionally stopping for photographs. Started enjoying the ambiance inside the forest. Spotted lots of Deers, Bison and Jungle fowl. And also a monitor lizard. Should come back again for the Safari at this National Park at a later day. The forest is dense and green (after Monsoons) with lots of Wildlife. Covered the almost 30 Kms inside the forest in 1.5 Hrs. After the forest, starts the never ending Coffee Estates of Coorg.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04189.jpg
Newly done single lane road inside Nagarhole forest

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04190.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04192.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04200.jpg
Pics of some animals spotted in the forest

Name:  DSC04208.jpg
Views: 8190
Size:  244.8 KB
Pit stop just after the Nagarhole forest

Just after the forest is a small town named Kutta. Very close to the Kerala Border (Its less than 10 Kms from here). Then took the road towards Virajpet. With the Bramhagiri Range towards the left with its peaks covered in fog. Further ahead took the deviation towards Irupu Falls on the left. From here Irupu Falls is around 8-10 Kms.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04215.jpg
Roads after Nagarhole forest

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04216.jpg
Bramhagiri Range - Towards Irupu

Reached the parking place near Irupu and get ready for the nearly 1 Km trek up towards the water falls. Pay the parking and Entry fees into the forest. This area is dense with leeches during rainy season. Carefully me and my wife walk towards the water falls regularly checking for any leeches climbing up the shoes. Reach the water fall and not much crowded. There has not been much rains in the past few days with only slight drizzle. Take some snaps and spend some time gazing at the beautiful water falls. See lots of leeches around and some dead scorpions. Its already 2.30 PM and starting to feel hungry. No decent places to eat here or for another 20 kms. Leave the place and get back on the main road towards Virajpet.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04230.jpg
Small bridge on the trekking trial enroute Irupu Falls

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04237.jpg
Encounter a small stream enroute the waterfalls

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04244.jpg
Dead scorpion on the trail

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04245.jpg
The beautiful Irupu Falls

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04262.jpg
Hehehehehehee

On the way stop at a decent place for lunch at Gonikoppal around 3.30 PM. With the tummy happy take the winding roads through Coffee Estates to reach Virajpet and then Madikeri town around 5.00 PM. No Prior reservations done as this road trip was completely unplanned. Check into Hotel Rajadharshan near Raja seat.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04270.jpg
Enroute Madikeri Town.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04277.jpg
Enroute Madikeri Town.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04289.jpg
View from Raja's Seat. Completely foggy.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04292.jpg
Raja's seat at Madikeri

Nice place with good parking place, good food and decent rooms. Room rent around 1k. Relax for some time and then head towards Raja seat which is like 1 minute walk from the hotel. Though this is a sunset spot, no views here because of the thick fog cover and slight drizzle. Check out the surroundings, ride the toy train here at the park. I had to go 3 times in the train as my wife really enjoyed the ride and insisted me to come along. Then there is a Musical fountain show which starts at 7.00 PM here. And finally have dinner at the hotel and retire for the night.

The roads throughout Day 1 has been very good. Better than expected. The Swift VDI performed effortlessly throughout.

Continued...
Old 9th October 2008, 06:10   #2
BHPian

Day 2 (20th July, 2008) : Madikeri – Bhagmandala – Talacauvery – Madikeri

Getup late in the morning around 10.00 AM. Get ready and have a heavy breakfast. I know will be skipping lunch because of no decent places to eat all the way to Talacauvery. Leave the hotel by 12 noon. Its sunny and pleasant outside. I have to be back to the room by 5.00 PM to watch the Hockenheim Grand Prix. Check what channel Start Sports is on the TV and leave the hotel. Talacauvery is around 45 KMS from Madikeri. My wife is all happy seeing the greenery and distant Fog filled ranges. Yes dear, that’s where we are going. On the way stop at a small temple. No one at the temple and completely deserted. Click a few pictures and leave. Reach Bhagmandala on the way to Talacauvery around 1.30 PM.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04336.jpg
Road towards Talacauvery

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04340.jpg
Picture perfect view

Name:  DSC04346.jpg
Views: 7235
Size:  250.3 KB
Small temple we stopped on the way to Talacauvery

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04347.jpg
You can call it the Silver Arrow

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04355.jpg
Me inside the temple

Here 3 rivers join and there is the Bhagandeshwara temple. Its architecture is similar to temples in Kerala. Spend some time at the temple. Then go to the river bank and sit there for sometime at the steps with feet in the running cold water. Watch a couple of kids play in the water. Talacauvery is another 10 KMS from here and the climb is steep. Roads have been good till now.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04380.jpg
Bhagandeshwara temple

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04383.jpg
View inside the Bhagandeshwara Temple

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04393.jpg
View enroute Talacauvery

Reach Talacauvery in 30 minutes. Enroute stop at a view point to click some snaps. The Talacauvery temple complex is different now from the last time I visited a couple of years back. The Temple is huge with neatly done granite flooring. The crowd was minimal. There was fog all around and you visibility is like 10 feet. Had Darshan and bought prasadam. Its 4.00 PM and I keep reminding my wife that we have to be back in the hotel by 5.00 PM. She wants to sit down and take some snaps. Finally after a lot of nagging we leave Talacauvery by 4.30 PM.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04400.jpg
Main Gate at Talacauvery

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04401.jpg
View from the temple. See the fog coming towards us?

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04402.jpg
The road we took to reach Talacauvery

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04406.jpg
Soon the entire place was covered with fog

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04408.jpg
Its 2.00 PM in the afternoon

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04412.jpg
Fog filled day

Hit the pedal to the metal. No ways I am going to miss the start of the Hockenheim Grand Prix. I am in the hotel parking lot by 5.15 PM and run to the room and switch on the TV. Order some Panner Pakodas, Onion Pakodas and coffee to the room. Wife takes a nap while I watch the race start to finish munching on the snacks. Feels good seeing Lewis win the race (McLaren fan you see!!). Wake up my wife and then we take a stroll towards the market and shop for some spices and coffee. Have dinner and retire for the night.

On Day 2, the roads again have been good all the way to Talacauvery. The Swift performed again well throughout. It’s a breeze climbing uphill and when required I can push the car to the limits with a sense of stability the car offers. Till now I have travelled on familiar roads. Tomorrow I take the unexplored route towards Mangalore through dense Western Ghats. Am all excited and thinking about the adventures ahead I doze off...

Continued...
Old 9th October 2008, 10:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great write up and pictures.

Waiting for the rest of the trip.
Old 9th October 2008, 13:57   #4
BHPian

Nice writeup and good pics dreamdiesel. The "FOWLTORY FORM" pic is funny. Please post that pic on this thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-signs-16.html
Old 9th October 2008, 14:50   #5
BHPian

Very nice writeup. Waiting for the writeup of your experience in the western ghats section. Your car looks good, yeah surely can tell that to be silver arrow.
Old 9th October 2008, 15:01   #6
BHPian

Nice travelogue and pics mate!
Do u find the Mercara - Kukke section in good stead?
After the rains, i am not sure how good it is.
Wat were the accomodations on ur trip and their comfort pls.

Yes i like unplanned travel too... Decide on a Thursday and packup on friday and Decide near Nelamangala Junction, whether to take a left on NH48 or move ahead NH4!!
I am sure lots of Bangaloreans do that right Guys??!
Old 9th October 2008, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Yes i like unplanned travel too... Decide on a Thursday and packup on friday and Decide near Nelamangala Junction, whether to take a left on NH48 or move ahead NH4!!
Thats interesting. Why only Bangy guy? I guess many mates in other place do to

The basic logic is - to drive, Lol.
Old 9th October 2008, 15:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Oh yes, the basic logic being to drive and enjoy the pleasure

I think in the travelogue section he has mentioned about the stay in Medikeri as to Rajavardhan hotel. But he need to mention about other places. I think they will pour in along with his further tour info.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Nice travelogue and pics mate!
Do u find the Mercara - Kukke section in good stead?
After the rains, i am not sure how good it is.
Wat were the accomodations on ur trip and their comfort pls.

I will be posting the conditions of road from Madikeri to Kukke section on Day 3. These road conditions were before the peak of Monsoon. Monsoon was at its peak in this part of Karnataka only in the end of July. After I retruned back to Bangalore.

Yes..I like unplanned drives. But when you have family members consisting of Kids and Ladies then planned drive is best.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:45   #10
BHPian

Day 3 (21st July, 2008) : Madikeri – Sullia – Kukke Subrahmanya – Dharmasthala – Mangalore

Start the day late again. Wake up by 8.30 AM. Have a tasty breakfast at the hotel and get ready and check out of the hotel by 10.00 AM. Go to Abbey Falls which is 10 KMS from Madikeri. The road leading towards the water falls is very narrow at some places, but good. The weather is slightly warm. Had to switch on the AC for sometime. Park the car and walk for 0.5 KMS to reach the falls. The climb down to the water falls is through a coffee estate and has lots of steps. It’s a majestic water fall. The water is clear and the fine spray of the water fall refreshes you. Pose for some snaps and both of us spend some time on the Cable stayed bridge opposite the waterfall gazing at the beautiful sight. Time to get going. Get back up to the parking lot. The climb up was tiring with the warm weather. Get back to the car and leave Madikeri Town around 12 noon. Towards Mangalore, here we go.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04450.jpg
Abbey Falls

The road towards Mangalore is the same road towards Talacauvery from Madikeri. After about 3-4 KMS from Madikeri there is a deviation towards Mangalore. I knew the roads will not be that great because of the Heavy Vehicles traffic that used to take this road towards Mangalore when the Shirdi Ghats road was closed. But now there was no Heavy Vehicles traffic as the Shirdi Ghats road has reopened. The entire stretch is OK with occasional patches of bad roads near curves and there are a couple of very bad potholes covering the entire width of the road as some places. There is also one strecth where you will have to travel ins econd gear for a kilometer because of bad rods.The entire stretch is through dense forests and fog filled mountains on either sides. Occasionally you will come across small water falls on the sides of the road.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04463.jpg
One of the curves on the Madikeri - Mangalore SH

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04465.jpg
The scenery was like this almost the entire stretch till Sullia

There was a drizzle all the time and the roads were wet. At one point as I finished driving through a bad stretch I could see good smooth roads ahead, as I entered the good stretch I floored the pedal to the metal there was a slight smooth bump on the road which I could not make out. As the car went over the bump the turbo kicked in the second gear. I could hear the front wheels rev freely for half a second. I just love this car.

Reached Sullia which is 50 KMS from Madikeri around 1.30 PM. This place I heard rains throughout the year. One of my friends studied here. After Sullia see a board on the right, next to a deviation which goes towards Kukke Subrahmanya which is around 38 KMS from Sullia. Think lets visit Kukke and then Dharmasthala and then take the highway towards Mangalore. The road here is a single lane road through thick vegetation. The roads were recently done. Encountered few oncoming vehicles during the entire stretch where I had to almost get off the road for the other vehicle to pass. As we approached Kukke Subrahmanya the never ending drizzle turned to heavy rains. On the way found lots of streams flooded with water. Reached Kukke Subrahmanya around 2.30 PM. The rains turned to a drizzle. Hungry again. There are 2 good vegetarian restaurants just opposite the temple facing each other. Went to the one on the left as you go towards the temple. Had a decent vegetarian meals and then went to the temple. The queue was long and by the time we finished the Darshan and collected the prasadam, it was almost 4.30 PM.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04470.jpg
The road after the deviation from Sullia towards Kukke

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04471.jpg
Another picture of the road

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04474.jpg
Stopped for a picture on one of the bridges we encountered

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04475.jpg
Streams flowing in full flow

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04486.jpg
Kukke Subrahmanya

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04489.jpg
Kukke Subrahmanya

Big Mistake here. Did not ask anybody for directions or road conditions and leave towards Dharmasthala.Immediately after Kukke Subrahmanya the road has 2 deviations. I took the one that had a sign board mentioning Dharmasthala. I guess it was the road on the bridge after Kukke. The roads were good for almost 15 – 20 minutes. I was literally flying through the forest with almost zero traffic. Then I see why the roads are empty. Very bad roads. Being very optimistic, I think it must be for a couple of kilometers and carry on. The bad road does not seem to end. I am almost off roading. I see a couple of Mahindra Jeeps ferrying passengers in the entire stretch. The roads are under repair at some stretches. I am only doing first and second gear for the last 1.5 hours. I drive carefully not to scrap the undercarriage. The worst road I have seen till date. Finally reach the Bangalore- Mangalore Highway. Take a right, go a kilometer on the Highway towards the direction of Bangalore and then a left towards Dharmasthala. The roads here were the best during the entire road trip. Newly done road through dense forests. Was at Dharmasthala by 6.30 PM. Went into the temple and finished Darshan, took the prasadam and left Dharmasthala by 8.00 PM. Now I knew it was going to be a night drive on a 2 lane road. Cleaned the windscreen and the headlamp glass and left Dharmasthala towards Mangalore.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04497.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04500.jpg
The beautiful roads after Kukke before the worst stretch

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04508.jpg
Clipping down on speed hehehe

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04499.jpg
Name:  DSC04509.jpg
Views: 6548
Size:  240.7 KB
Pictures of some streams we crossed. All them them seem to be full with water

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04511.jpg
Dharmasthala

Rejoined Bangalore- Mangalore Highway which was heavy with oncoming traffic. Few places the road was completely bad and dusty. Decided to tail a Scorpio at a safe distance so that he can lead the way. Have to get my headlights changed to 100/90W. The stock is very bad for night highway driving. On top of this it started raining and the fogging effect started on the windscreen from outside. I have posted similar incident before here on this post ([COLOR=#606420]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/40790-foggy-misty-windshield-urgent-help-required.html#post971174[/COLOR]). After stopping the car and cleaning the windscreen with soap and water, it did not improve the situation. Finally the rains stopped and was driving very cautiously as there were regular huge potholes and heavy lorry traffic from the opposite direction. Nearing Mangalore the roads near BC road are in a very bad shape. Called up my friend who directed me to a few hotels near Bunts Hostel in Mangalore. Entered the city around 9.45 PM and the entire city seems to be already sleeping. Found Woodlands Hotel after asking a few people for directions. No rooms!! Hmm. Then my friend directed me to Moti Mahal. Finally found the hotel and checked in around 10.30 PM. This is a 3 star hotel I guess. Rooms at 2k for AC which included buffet breakfast. Very decent hotel. Ordered Food at room and finally called it a day. Wow! What a day it has been.

On Day 3 the unexpected deviation at Sullia towards Kukke and Dharmasthala prolonged today’s journey. The bad roads after Kukke delayed the journey by almost 1.5 Hrs. The drive towards Dharmasthala on the best roads I have encountered was a really confidence inspiring drive after what happened to the tyre in the previous road trip. The car felt planted to the road when taking the curves with decent speeds. The Windscreen fogging issue is bothering me a lot. Have to upgrade my stock headlamps to 100/90W once I am back in Bangalore. Encountered the best and worst roads today. My speedo seems to be locked at 100 KMS now. My wife always has her eyes on the speedometer and whenever I cross 100 she starts tapping me.

Continued...
Old 10th October 2008, 01:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
My speedo seems to be locked at 100 KMS now. My wife always has her eyes on the speedometer and whenever I cross 100 she starts tapping me.

Continued...
Hey I was doing the same when my wifey was doing 140+ in the recent trip.
Old 10th October 2008, 02:31   #12
BHPian

Day 4 (22nd July, 2008) : Mangalore – City Sightseeing – Ullal Beach – Panambur Beach – Mangalore

Start the day late as usual. Slept like a log after the long drive on Day 3. Have the buffet breakfast at the hotel and get ready and leave by 11.00 AM. I am visiting Mangalore almost after 10 years. The weather is humid and most of the city roads have been concreted. Find my way towards South Mangalore to visit the Sultan’s Battery. The watch tower constructed by Tipu Sultan, is situated 4 km from the City. Built in black stones, it gives the impression of a miniature fortress with its arrangements for mounting cannons all-round. Once on the tower you get a nice view of the Gurpur River. Nice place to just sit for some time and watch boats navigating their way through the river. There is also a couple of boat building docks here which build fishing trawlers. Spend some time and leave for Ullal Beach which is another 8 KMS from here. The beach is not suitable for swimming. The sand is rough and if you try getting into the water its gets very deep very quickly. The waves are very rough here. Did some driving on the sand towards the beach. Was fun driving the car on the slippery sands and feeling the wheels finding for traction.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04517.jpg
Boat on the Gurupur River

Name:  DSC04518.jpg
Views: 6503
Size:  173.1 KB
View of the Gurupur River from the watch tower

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04521.jpg
My car looks all dirty

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04526.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04527.jpg
Ullal Beach

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04532.jpg
Parking lot

After the Ullal Beach headed back to the city and had authentic Mangalore seafood at Kudla Restaurant. Slightly expensive though. After this visited the St. Aloysius Church. Very beautiful church with a very calm and serene atmosphere. Spent some time looking at the paintings and headed back to the hotel. Did some shopping and then decided to go to Panambur beach in the evening. The Panambur beach is towards north of the City after the Mangalore Port towards the highway to Udupi. The roads near the port are completely destroyed by the iron ore mining trucks and there is dark red dust suspended in the air. There is very heavy truck traffic here with numerous trucks entering or exiting the port. Just after the port there is a road going towards the left which takes you to Panambur Beach. Pretty clean beach with calm waves. Watched the sunset and spent some time playing in the water. Had an early dinner and called it a day.

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04539.jpg
St. Aloysius Church

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04541.jpg
Inside of St. Aloysius Church

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04543.jpg
Evening at Panabur Beach

Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04545.jpg
Beautiful Karnataka - 1300 Kms of Monsoon Magic-dsc04546.jpg
Panambur Beach

Day 4 was quite relaxing after the long drive yesterday. Mostly city driving. The roads apart from the concrete ones in Mangalore are in a bad shape. Lots of roads/flyover construction activity going on leading to traffic jams and deviations. Because of the humid weather had to use AC inside the city for some time. No rains today. The car is looking dirtier day by day. Have had no issues with the car till now. A tiny rattling noise has started from the rear left passenger door. Have to get that rectified once back in Bangalore.

Continued...
Old 10th October 2008, 02:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Great write up and pictures.

Waiting for the rest of the trip.
Thanks bro... Have updated day 3 and 4 now....
Old 10th October 2008, 03:56   #14
BHPian

Dream Diesel,
The final picture u posted on the way from Kukke to Gundia junction, is not a stream, but a full sized river "Nethravathi"
Old 10th October 2008, 04:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

mjothi,
People may do in other places too. I dont deny that. When i am a Bangalorean , i speak examples of places what i know best about.
When i speak of Nelamangala , i am speaking of Banglore travellers !
Thats the point. Ofcourse everyone travels to enjoy.. Lol!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks