Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 22:11   #46
Team-BHP Support

DAY 3 - The Final Day at Pondicherry

Later in the day today, we were to end this Pondicherry sojourn of ours, and head back to normal life.

Woke up early once again, making this the third morning in a row we both were up before 5AM. We wanted to enjoy sunrise yet again, and walk along the Promenade, which over the past two days had become so much like our own backyard.

We took our places by the seaside, waiting for the scene to unfold. However, this day the sun had a different plan. Playing hide-n-seek behind a cloud cover, it made sure it remained out of view till it was up there in the sky. Probably wanted to emote a different emotion.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2939.jpg

Had a round of tea by the beach before we headed out to breakfast at the same Hindu Veg Cafe. Relished the crispy dosas yet again. I had some pongal as well, just to remind myself of my college days where initially i had a strong dislike to this dish, before lapping it up later on.

Referred the tourist guide once more, to see of we could cover any more places before we pushed off. The Immaculate Conception Cathedral drew our attention to it. A quick word with some auto fellows, and we had our location.

Getting around in Pondicherry is rather easy as there are a few major roads, with the rest joining onto these somewhere or the other. All it takes is some logic, and you would arrive at your destination with no major goof-ups.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2951.jpg

Parked the car in front of the church, and was admired the cathedral. The Immaculate Conception Cathedral,on Cathedral Street, was first built in 1692. It took its present shape in 1791, as per the tourist guide.
Here are some pics of this marvel. Once again, lovely interiors.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2969.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2953.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2959.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2960.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2961.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2962.jpg

I may possibly have been non-observant, but i have not seen TV screens put up in other churches as a standard fitment, as i observed here in the churches at Pondicherry.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2970.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2963.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2966.jpg  

Old 21st October 2008, 11:10   #47
BHPian

benbsb29, A very nice travelogue and great pictures

cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2008, 11:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I may possibly have been non-observant, but i have not seen TV screens put up in other churches as a standard fitment, as i observed here in the churches at Pondicherry.
This is the pic i was referring to. It got left out while i was uploading the earlier set of snaps.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2964.jpg

Quote:
Thank you, eclectix 1st.

I had some problem uploading the rest of the series last nite. Will continue today.
Old 21st October 2008, 19:51   #49
Team-BHP Support

Continuation..

After spending some time in the church, it was soon time to leave. Headed back to Beach Road and decided to go up and down it in the car. Wifey by now had become rather emotional, and lamented the fact that we were leaving.

Explored further down the road, and came across a rather small road going through what looked like fishermen settlements. Decided to give it a go. Was terrorzed by two speedbreakers which threatened to rip of the car's underbelly, but was able to safely glide across without scraping the bottom.

We spotted an opening between the houses and felt we should stop. This was the place i had referred to when i had replied to Akroy's query on where we bathed/played around in the sea. There were a couple of small kids playing around here, but was empty besides a couple of fishermen who were minding their own business.

Some pics at our own little beach.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2999.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3000.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2988.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2993.jpg

Chatted with this little dude on the beach. His name was Moses
Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_2996.jpg

After having fun playing around on the beach, it was time to head back to the hotel, to change, pack and then leave back to Bangalore. Some of the sand from the beach found its way into the car, as if to accompany us, and we had no other choice than to oblige.

Soon we were back at the hotel, and packed up rather quick, as there was already a call from the Reception. At around noon, we were out, all necessary formalities completed. Bid adieu as we drove along the Beach Road one last time, before trying to find our way onto the ECR or East Coast Road.

We took a hint from Akroy's travelogue and decided to try this road, knowing pretty well that it was going to add to travel time, as well as distance.

The route we were to take was as follows:
Pondicherry->ECR till close to Mahabalipuram->Chengalpattu->Kanchipuram->Chennai-Blore highway->Krishnagiri->Hosur->Bangalore.

Some pics along the famous East Coast Road (ECR)

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3006.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3007.jpg

Salt beds along the ECR
Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3024.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3027.jpg

Old 21st October 2008, 22:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pics Benny, keeps you waiting eagerly for the next round, E_L was right in saying that your are there among the best. Excellent writing too.
Regards,
Hari.

P.S : Do I see a cracked windscreen in your last pic of the ECR?
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:14   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Wonderful pics Benny, keeps you waiting eagerly for the next round, E_L was right in saying that your are there among the best. Excellent writing too.
Regards,
Hari.
Thanks for the nice words, Hari. Actually, its been ages since i did any writing as such. As for the pics, trying to learn from the gurus on the forum, although the technical details of photography are beyond my comprehension.

Quote:
P.S : Do I see a cracked windscreen in your last pic of the ECR?
Hari, you can read about the windscreen episode here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/807316-post31.html

This is after being kissed by two rounds of flying stones - one minor, another major. Both incidents have been mentioned in the same thread. I would be getting the windscreen replaced this November. Thankfully, the cracks havent grown since.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd October 2008 at 08:15.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely written Benny !!

I love the photos and have been wanting to go to Pondy for so long now but it is just too far. Maybe one day really soon. The place is very neat and 1700 Rs. for a room for 4 is a Bargain !

Fish n Chips - Yum Yum
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:23   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely write up making me want to head South and escape the northern winters in December. But sadly overdrawn on leaves for the year. May be next year "Pondicherry here I come".
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:05   #54

After seeing your travelogue I have decided to visit pondi this weekend. The actual plan of goa has been cancelled because of time contraint so we decided to go for pondi.

Can you send me the phone number of that hotel so that i can try and book the room in advance and also let me know the fare details.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:14   #55
Team-BHP Support

Continuation... the final episode

Initially, i thought we would get to see Mahabs as well, but it was not to be. Wifey had has hopes high, but they were crushed, when we realized we needed to take a left towards Chengalpattu much before we reached Mahabalipuram.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3035.jpg

Since we were passing through Kanchi, i decided to meet up with my engineering benchmate who had donned a father's role rather recently. No, he isnt acquainted to a church but is the father to a little boy, 3 months young at the time of penning this report. This friend of mine was my benchmate for the 4 years i was in college, and somehow i had strayed my way out of contact. He, however was always regular in contacting me. This seemed like an apt time to surprise him.

Literally shocked him out of his skin giving him the news that i was coming to meet him.

Back to the trip : Cruising along the ECR was a pleasure. Some may argue its overhyped, but definitely enjoyable. Along the drive, we got to see saltbeds, and also what appeared to be backwaters.

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3036.jpg

I spotted the restaurant where Akroy had lunched, but thought i would find some other place up ahead to stop. This was not to be, and therein lay my folly. Once we got off the ECR, coming across a place which looked inviting to stop was like trying to find an oasis in the desert. It was past 1, and with our stomachs grumbling, the hunt was only getting more difficult, and the wait more agonizing.

Wifey was getting more and restless, and myself all the more concerned. Distances in km were also not reducing at the rate we expected it to. Finally at Chengalpattu, we found a decent restaurant, and had lunch there. Tamil meals were ordered, and they tasted real good. Maybe the fact that we were hungry added to the effect, but nvertheless, it was nice.

Buoyed by the new-found energy we continued towards Kanchipuram. While i imagined this road would have less traffic, it was actually the opposite. High lorry traffic and slowcoach Ambys which trudged along lowered our pace. A few sudden speedbreakers were thrown in to add to the fun.

The usual route to Bangalore would involve by-passing Kanchi town, but we had to enter. These were the roads my friends and myself used to roam on our bicycles, and here I was today, driving around my own car!
Bought some sweets and gifts for my friend and his family, and headed out to his place. Spent about an hour there. Kanchipuram being the 'Ciy of Temples', visited a temple made from sandstone nearby my friend's house.

Some pics at the temple in Kanchipuram

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3051.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3052.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3053.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3055.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3058.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3063.jpg

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3072.jpg

Spotted a parrot atop one of the domes

Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3070.jpg

And then there were two!
Gave Time a Break : Trip to Pondicherry-img_3071.jpg

It was past 5:30 by the time we got back on the road again, making our way to Bangalore. The Chennai-Bangalore highway which is part of the GQ was amazing to drive on. Did some good speeds on this stretch, and was able to hold speeds close to 100 kmph for quite some time. However, the occassional slowcoaches are always around to slow down the rest of the traffic. Soon light had faded, and the speeds also went down.

At the toll gate we had to pay Rs.60/- (one way) for using this road. This is in addition to the Rs35/- which we had to pay for using the ECR till Chengalpattu. At Krishnagiri another toll of Rs.25/- to add to the bill. Considering all this, this route between Pondy-Bangalore didnt appear to be more inviting over the route we had taken during our Bangalore-pondy drive. Granted the roads on the return were better but the other route was not bad to begin with.

Reached A2B (Adyar Ananda Bhavan) around 9, where we had dinner. From there, the trip home took close to an hour, or less.

To sum up : This trip was quite rejuvenating in terms of what we did, and experienced overall. Pondicherry is certainly an amazing place, and we plan to visit the place again sometime in the future.

This was my first attempt at penning down a travelogue, although i have been around here for a while. Let me know of any shortcomings, and i shall put in effort towards a better next one. , wherever the destination is, and whenever the time period.

A big Thank you to all who dropped by and provided their comments and encouragement, and also to those who were silent spectators. Hope you all enjoyed this as much as i did.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue Benny,

Quote:
Let me know of any shortcomings, and I shall put in effort towards a better next one
Boss, you need to teach us humble souls who try our hand at travelogues and it does not come out any where close to this one.
What camera do you use? Maybe you can throw in a few pointers on photography as well.
Regards,
Hari.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Continuation... the final episode

Attachment 62728
Super snap. I remember this road a lot because just 2 months back I was racing on this overtaking few cars, I went off the road and travelled on that tiled footpath kind. Oh man awesome road and yes awesome snap too.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftrazak View Post
Can you send me the phone number of that hotel so that i can try and book the room in advance and also let me know the fare details.
Ajantha sea view restaurant - 0413- 2338899 , 2349032

here is a list of other hotels & their contact info:
Restaurants In Pondicherry | Pondicherry Restaurants | Kamatchi | Dinner | Anjappar | Appachi
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:39   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Very nicely written Benny !!

I love the photos and have been wanting to go to Pondy for so long now but it is just too far. Maybe one day really soon. The place is very neat and 1700 Rs. for a room for 4 is a Bargain !

Fish n Chips - Yum Yum
Thanks vkochar. Actually i was surprised myself at the room rates.
There are more expensive hotels and resorts as well. I had received good reviews about this place from a friend who had stayed there. Hence, chose this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Lovely write up making me want to head South and escape the northern winters in December. But sadly overdrawn on leaves for the year. May be next year "Pondicherry here I come".
Sudev, considering the amount of travel and exploring you do, i wont be surprised to know one fine day you're actually in Pondy, and posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftrazak View Post

After seeing your travelogue I have decided to visit pondi this weekend. The actual plan of goa has been cancelled because of time contraint so we decided to go for pondi.

Razak, Pondy is worth a visit for sure. Looks like badboyscad has already provided you with the info. Here is another number : 0413- 2338898.

Quote:
Wonderful travelogue Benny,

Boss, you need to teach us humble souls who try our hand at travelogues and it does not come out any where close to this one.
What camera do you use? Maybe you can throw in a few pointers on photography as well.
Regards,
Hari.
Thanks Hari. The camera i use is a rather simple P&S Cannon IXUS75. For photography tips, we have our local expert Rudra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Super snap. I remember this road a lot because just 2 months back I was racing on this overtaking few cars, I went off the road and travelled on that tiled footpath kind. Oh man awesome road and yes awesome snap too.
Its an awesome road to drive on. Thankfully, traffic was low on the day i was returning, and good visibility, so made the most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Seems like a good source of info. My tourist guide was a pdf document which Dadu had emailed me. If anyone else wants it, please PM me with your email id, and i shall send it across.
Old 22nd October 2008, 22:01   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Lovely pics there benny. Btw what editing tool are you using to apply borders to the pics?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks