Team-BHP - Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/47495-manali-bharatpur-mt-yunum-summit-6118m-leh-pangongtso-kargil-amarnath-yatra-srinagar.html)

Hi,
I undertook this trip in July this year. The trip info before and after the summit attempt to Mt. Yunum is mentioned below.

Day-1: We started from Manali at 11 AM. On the way, we stopped at Marhi.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1224.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-marhi.jpg
Next stop was at Rohtang. It was extremely windy.

Further down, after crossing the Rohtang pass, we saw the road at Gramphu which goes towards “Chandra Tal.”. I visited this 2 years back and it is strongly recommended. One of the most beautiful lakes in the himalayas.

We crossed the checkpost at khoksar.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1229.jpg

After Khoksar, the condition of road was little bit good. So our driver decided to speed up a little and what happened next was quite funny. There were a couple of cops, waiting for this moment, catching the drivers for speeding, using a speed gun. Now, the Manali-Leh road isn't in a very good condition. Theres only this 2 km segment which is probably newly done and the cops choose this same place to catch speeding drivers.

Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1230.jpg

The surroundings were amazingly beautiful. As we were now in Lahaul, there was a stark change in the countryside, which was getting more and more barren. But I should say, it was very beautiful. We could now see the beautiful snow capped ranges with tens of small glaciers around us.

We finally reached Keylong at around 4 in the evening. Everyone was pretty hungry and we had our lunch at a small Tibetan place there. We quickly grabbed a bite and started for Jispa. There is mountaineering institute in Jispa and we were going to camp there for the night. This campsite was on the banks of the Bhaga River.

Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1242.jpg

Day-2
we stopped at Baralacha La (4800 mts). Near bara lacha, we could see the Suraj Tal.
This was an extremely windy and cold place and as we got out of our jeep, we realized that we were now at respectable altitude. We clicked a couple photos and moved ahead.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1256.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1261.jpg
Name:  IMG_1374.jpg
Views: 5334
Size:  74.2 KB
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1245.jpg
Just as we get down down at Baralacha, there a few dhabas. This place is Bharatpur which would serve as the base camp for our expedition to Mt. Yunum.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_1252.jpg
Day 3 - 8. Expedition.

Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_2121.jpg

Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-img_2126.jpg

Great pictures, never heard of this Mt Yunum before, waiting to hear more

Wonderful. wonderful, wonderful. Whats happening? Its was munnar, munnar & Munnar and now I see Leh, Leh and leh :)

But its good to see many travelogues. Great pics mate.

Speeding ticket in leh. Interesting.
Cheers.

Nice pics... i see many vultures near that carcass.. Pic-2. Is that a man trekking with a backpack in the same pic?
Never heard of Mt. Yumnum! Can you provide more detailed info to the place. Waiting for the rest of the travelogue.

Never ever heard of this mount Yunum, leh is always inviting nice pics hope i do it some day. please post with more details.

Thread subscribed ! :)

Day-9: From Bharatpur, we staretd for Leh. We first crossed Sarchu. Sarchu is one of the most beautiful campsite. Most of the vehcles stop at Sarchu beacuse of it relatively lower height(3300m) which leads to mch lower high altitude problems compared to Pang and Bharatpur(4200).
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-sarchu1.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-enroute-sacrhu1.jpg

Immediately after Sarchu, we start climbing up to Nakila pass and Lachungla Pass. Its a steep climb with deep fall on other side. You keep going up and up and its starts getting a bit scary.

Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-enroute-nakila.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-climbing-nakila.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-nakila2.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-top-nakila-pass.jpg

Once we descend at Pang, it appears as if we have descenced from the sky trip down to earth. Pang has a small check post. Some really weird landscapes, a passing stream and then you go another 1 km and reach the dhabas in Pang.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-near-pang.jpg
Just after Pang, theer is a short climb to More plains and then suddenly out of nowhere you find yourself in a massive flat land. Its the widest road I have seen in my life. No macadam defines the boundary of your road. Its flat smooth road aroud 400m wide. You can drive anywhre you want atleast for the first 10 kms. No vehicles honks to overtake. The vehicles from the opposite side may not be coming from you right but may be on your left around 100m away. After around 10 kms the path gets bad and dusty. I couldnt take the pics of More plains. Infact I was so absorbed in the vastness of the plains, that i forgot click the pics. When u realised that I have to take pics, it was already dusty. Some the pictures taken came out very bad due to the dust. :-(.

Immediately after more plains, we start climbing the mightly Tanglang La.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-tanglang-la1.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141437_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141448_img.jpg
Once you reach the top, you get amazing views of the nearby peaks. The road on the top is very very bad.

By end of the day, we reached Leh.

I didnt realise in the earlier post that the pic quiality was very poor.
Reattaching the higher resolution pic:

Day-10: We started for Pangong Tso. We passed thorugh the mightly Changlang La. It was very cold there.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141482_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141483_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141484_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141485_img.jpg

Just before PangongTso there is a marshy land where there are lots fo Marmots.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141481_img.jpg

Finally we reach PangongTso. I leave it to you decide words for describing this lake. Pangong Tso is 80 kms long. One-third of it is in India and two third is occupied by china since 1962.
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141450_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141452_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141454_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141460_img.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141464_stc.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141467_stb.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141469_std.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141471_sta.jpg
Manali-Bharatpur-Mt Yunum summit(6118m)-Leh-PangongTso-Kargil-Amarnath yatra-Srinagar-1141476_img.jpg

Hey recker
what happened to the rest of the update???
Eagerly waiting for it

And I don't see any shot of More plane!! :confused:

recker us,

Sterling stuff, stunning photos... keep them coming.

Every time I see the Manali-Leh and photos around my heart goes pit-a-pit :)

Great read.. waiting for more.

--Ramky
=======