Team-BHP - Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT Grand One-Year Ownership Travelogue [Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahaul]
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT Grand One-Year Ownership Travelogue [Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahaul] (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/47777-safari-dicor-2-2-vtt-tmt-grand-one-year-ownership-travelogue-kinnaur-spiti-lahaul-7.html)

You cannot roll to the nearest shop in a tube type tire, in a tubeless of course you can.

In fact I was going to suggest to ADC that you should perhaps consider upgrading to alloys and tubeless when you change your tyres next. I would do anything to get a good 12v air compressor. The Taiwanese ones available in Kolkata are hopeless. They say the foot pumps are much better.

Any 12V air compressor whether taiwanise or American will be hopeless unless you are okay with 30 minute filling time from flat to 35 PSI
So get the foot pump, its faster and better.

Awesome. Been on these roads many a times but everytime I get to see a new face to the Land of Gods. Simply awesome.
Hats off to ADC and his entourage for the journey. And it seems that Maling Baba has been to every kindered soul but mine this year. Maybe next year .
In the end a superb effort. ADC mate any idea about the fuel costs, maintainance costs during the trip? Post other sundry details too if you can.
Great trip, great effort. Kudos. Enjoy .

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1041403)
You cannot roll to the nearest shop in a tube type tire, in a tubeless of course you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 1041491)
In fact I was going to suggest to ADC that you should perhaps consider upgrading to alloys and tubeless when you change your tyres next. I would do anything to get a good 12v air compressor. The Taiwanese ones available in Kolkata are hopeless. They say the foot pumps are much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1041743)
Any 12V air compressor whether taiwanise or American will be hopeless unless you are okay with 30 minute filling time from flat to 35 PSI So get the foot pump, its faster and better.

Yes for a tubed flat it is only on very rare occasions [like the first puncture that I had somewhere on the Kolkata city roads but the tyre went completely flat only in garage overnight] whereby one can roll on to the tyre shop and that too with early detection of tyre pressure reduction.

Also since Safari tyres have good sidewall height, when a flat happens and as you roll over for a few metres before stopping, and if you have a loaded rear, the tyre will go out of the rim at least on one side and the valve nozzle is also lost inside. Will this happen also in tubeless tyre?

Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT Grand One-Year Ownership Travelogue [Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahaul]-img_7886.jpg

Sudiptoda, the ones found in Kolkata shops are as fragile or pathetic as you have seen. They also blow out fuses of the lighter and the shop owner insists on putting a higher rated fuse for that. I had a foot pump for my bike but they also not that well made and air starts to leak out
from the cylinder with every push.

Just heard that Coido is among the better[?] ones, available through rediff, but then dont ship to Kolkata due to entry tax regulation.

COIDO CAR TYRE INFLATOR AIR COMPRESSOR DC12V gifts in india at rediff shopping.

Would have gone for the tubeless at the very first day after exchanging for tubed ones but then we went out the day itself to North Bengal and the tyres had around 3k run by the time we came 10 days back. Will change to tubeless once these tyres go to 40k, i.e., by next year oct-dec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 1041830)
In the end a superb effort. ADC mate any idea about the fuel costs, maintainance costs during the trip? Post other sundry details too if you can.

hey thanks, but you did have some adventure and unseen circumstances at Malling, still remember your vivid description.

Well I was keeping the costs at the beginning days of the trip, and it was around 12-13.5 on the highways and around 8-10 on steep and moderate mountain roads. Anyway around Chitkul lost interest and patience in keeping such data as saw that Safari was going perfectly okay.

However did keep the overall fuel cost which came to around Rs 19,000 for the 5409 km at an average cost of Rs 38/L - almost all through only Xtramile diesel of IOC was put in - in himachal moutain region plain IOC diesel at R. Peo[Kalpa] and Kaza.

Maintenance cost was nil as nothing went wrong other than the flat tyre repair at around Rs 50.

This is indeed an awesome thread in detail. I will definitely keep an eye as I have plans for a Safari by mid next year.

Hi All

I have two and a half days this weekend and I was wondering if I can do Chitkul from Chandigarh...... Otherwise I was planning to touch Manali and sprint back.... By the way, this is going to be my first serious drive into the mountains. Previous trips have been either on bikes (that we done a lot!!) or limited to drives to Kasauli....

Actually by the time I learnt to drive and picked up a car, I ran out of time and money!!!

What will the road conditions be like these days on NH 21??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashpillai (Post 1047449)
I have two and a half days this weekend and I was wondering if I can do Chitkul from Chandigarh...... Otherwise I was planning to touch Manali and sprint back....

with just 2 days in hand you would be streching yourself for Chitkul though I would always vouch for Chitkul - it is the best place to be in the Kinnaur district.

You can do like stay at Narkanda [definitely book the circuit house there] and Saharan [HPTDC] and while going back roam around Chail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1041743)
Any 12V air compressor whether taiwanise or American will be hopeless unless you are okay with 30 minute filling time from flat to 35 PSI
So get the foot pump, its faster and better.

During my recent MP trip, every morning I found the 12V air compressor very useful to top up 2-3 points, took about 5 mts. average per tyre, don't know how much time it would take for full flats. Used to use the foot-pump earlier, quiet a chore.

--Ramky
=====

adc, I read this thread today! What can I say?!! Breathtaking! Stupendous!
Hard to believe you are a novice photographer. Stunning pics; wish I could be a novice! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1050548)
adc, I read this thread today! What can I say?!! Breathtaking! Stupendous!
Hard to believe you are a novice photographer. Stunning pics; wish I could be a novice! :)

But Mr Mathur with such perfect weather and clear blue skies, pictures will come out like those only with anyone.

And BTW just paused for a second or two to check out your "parking space" in front of Shringi Vatika at Ghiyagi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 1042644)
Sudiptoda, the ones found in Kolkata shops are as fragile or pathetic as you have seen. They also blow out fuses of the lighter and the shop owner insists on putting a higher rated fuse for that. I had a foot pump for my bike but they also not that well made and air starts to leak out
from the cylinder with every push.

Sorry for seeing this late. Check out Bhanubhai infront of Orient Cinema for footpump. I had gone there to buy a compressor and the owner almost scolded me, saying it's a waste of money as it never works when you need it. He said foot pumps can do the job in five minutes if you jack the tyre up while pumping.
Michelin has a double barrel footpump for sale in India. Costs something like 3.5k though, plus the review of the model on Amazon isn't too good. So never went for it.

Hadn't seen this thread before. Read it at one go today. Just one word: "Stunning"!
Hats off ADC, to you and your family for your spirit and enthusiasm. It takes guts to travel to such remote locations all alone (as in, with no other car to offer any back up). Quite a few of us are keen on a trip to Leh, Ladakh. Will be picking your brains soon :)

5-star thread - for the awesome pics, great write-up, and the sheer spirit of adventure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor4077 (Post 1096747)
Hadn't seen this thread before. Read it at one go today. Just one word: "Stunning"!
Hats off ADC, to you and your family for your spirit and enthusiasm. It takes guts to travel to such remote locations all alone (as in, with no other car to offer any back up). Quite a few of us are keen on a trip to Leh, Ladakh. Will be picking your brains soon :)

5-star thread - for the awesome pics, great write-up, and the sheer spirit of adventure!

Thanks, but then surely we all are waiting for something from your side with the Scorpio 4wd, it had enough of a rest.