Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:36   #151
Senior - BHPian

hyderabadi Czar is the same as Unoczar, just that I took the liberty of being creative since he is from Hyderabad.

Link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hell-back.html
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:11   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
hyderabadi Czar is the same as Unoczar, just that I took the liberty of being creative since he is from Hyderabad.

Link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hell-back.html

Ha Ha. That's one of the funniest and entertaining travelouges I have ever read.

Deky, that was one terrific narration!! Gripping, like an action movie, only difference being it was for real.

Hats off to the Captain and the crew for their presence of mind and timely action. All you crew people are REAL LIFE HEROS and everyone on the ship owe their lives to you folks.

I bow to all the brave souls on the ship.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:57   #153
Senior - BHPian

Re: Horror On High Seas- Simply Unforgetable

Today, its exactly 13 years since the ill fated Sun Vista had a fire and eventually sank in deep seas in the Melacca Strait.

The fire started on the 20th of May but it was today 13 years back that the ship finally sank.

Long live the legend of Sun Vista!!
Old 21st May 2012, 13:28   #154
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Today, its exactly 13 years since the ill fated Sun Vista had a fire and eventually sank in deep seas in the Melacca Strait.

The fire started on the 20th of May but it was today 13 years back that the ship finally sank.

Long live the legend of Sun Vista!!
I read the whole narration in one go and it is beyond my imagination on what you would have gone through, especially while evacuating the ship. The dark cabins, the smoke... scary Even though it is 13 years, it is as if it happened yesterday.

How are you doing now? Hope you have recovered (to a large extent) from the shock.
Old 21st May 2012, 17:39   #155
BHPian

Fantastic narration deky, made it feel just out of an Aurther Hailey novel. Not getting panicked, following the right SOP saved everyone. Kudoos!! to the captain. Its actually easier said than done. Did you ever go sailing in a ship after this incident?
Old 21st May 2012, 17:58   #156
BHPian

Fantabulous narration. Though it was a horrific accident, people who were part of this voyage, will have an interesting history to share with their dears and nears. like what you have written here.
Old 21st May 2012, 18:58   #157
BHPian

wow... what a story. never knew the existance of this thread.

So passengers lost everything they had in the ship. is there an insurance or something like that? Or will there be a diving expedition kind of thing at later point of time to recover valuable things?
Old 21st May 2012, 21:39   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll never forget reading your story, Deky.
Old 19th June 2013, 13:27   #159
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this incident report regarding the fire on the ship and the rescue efforts that followed on the ship. This incident report has been written by Mr. Werner Englisch who was our Hotel Director on the ship.

For those who dont know, Hotel Director is the incharge of the Hotel Operations on a cruise Liner where as the Captain is incharge of the overall ship.

The incident report is as close to what I have narrated earlier but it is a little more detailed.

Untergang der Sun Vista Hauptverantwortlicher für die Evakuierung aller Gäste & Crew HM Werner Engli
(its in English)
deky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 16:55   #160
BHPian

Thank God that I came across the thread now and so could finish reading the whole thread in one go.
Your narrative skill is simply superb

Wondering about one thing - what happens to the life boats or life rafts after the passengers are rescued by another vessel? Surely those are not left behind in the sea to float around aimlessly.
9tMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 23:42   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

I read this whole travelogue in one go and what i can say is i felt as if am watching a movie like Titanic. Hats off to you, its an awesome write up. I was thrilled reading it. Thanks a ton for sharing this with us.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:11   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Dhiraj...Man, must have been a horrific, yet a learning experience. Hats off to you for jotting it down so precisely and effectively. I do not know that how I missed your 'travelogue' until now, but I consoled myself by the fact that I did not have to wait for your one by one posts.

My good wishes to you. Convey my sincere thanks to your mother & wife too, for their contribution to the thread.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:05   #163
BHPian

This is the second time I am going through your post. The 1st was when my membership had not been approved and hence could not comment here.

The way you have described the incident, it was better then watching a movie. Hats off to the crew and the captain as well for handling the incident in such a way.

Great writing, and as many have pointed out, do consider writing a book on other such incidents as well. They would come out great!
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 23:29   #164
BHPian

Looks like an old post, but certainly made me feel that as though I'm watching an old movie the Titanic. What an experience you might have had.
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 01:03   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Wondering about one thing - what happens to the life boats or life rafts after the passengers are rescued by another vessel? Surely those are not left behind in the sea to float around aimlessly.
That gets the best query award!

Now you have made me curious. I am sure, they are towed back, and the insurer sells them for whatever they can get.

Or actually not. Not if the other vessel was of some other company.

Last edited by manolin : 21st June 2013 at 01:05.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks