Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 01:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Looks like you have traveled on this road, can you pl let me know on the road conditions & the avg time taken from Blore to the resort.
Thanks, Nitin
Nitin, please see this post for details about the route -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1353322

Once you touched NH-17, take left to go to the Nalanda Resort, its in the right side on the riverside, just before reaching Nileswar. For going to Bekal directly, you need to go to Kanhangad town and take right in the circle. PM me if you need more information

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 25th November 2009, 10:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Hi Sbraj,

Any reason why you didn't took the Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad route? This would have been atleast 20-25km short to Nileswar, and better road though it is narrow.
Frankly, I was not aware of this route. Sulya route was suggested by couple of colleagues from Kasargod.

You mentioned that the road is narrow. How much is the road shoulder height? To give way to an incoming vehicle, if one has to get off the road, will it touch the bottom?

Quote:
A small correction : The picture
Attachment 67350
Steep uphill on NH17 near Kasargod
is not actually in NH17, but the in the road to Kasargod from Kanhangad connecting Bekal. Right...?

Thanks
Rajesh
Yes, thanks for correcting!!!
Old 25th November 2009, 11:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

RajeshK,
Another related query on the Bhagamandala - Panathur stretch. How dense are the forests? And how sparse is the traffic? If a tree falls, will it block the entire road and we would have to remove it all ourselves if the traffic is less?
Old 25th November 2009, 11:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

@crn12

Boat stay is economic only if you have min 6 (8 is good) people as they have a
minimum rate for a boat ( one has to hire a full boat for this ride). If more people, then they will charge extra per person. for 2/3 people it is bit expensive.

other than this -then the 'Vismaya'- which I already told you.
May be worth taking your son VISMAYA to this 'vismaya"?
Old 25th November 2009, 17:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thats lovely drive you had. Resort near the river is superb. Keep the pics flowing if you have any.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Frankly, I was not aware of this route. Sulya route was suggested by couple of colleagues from Kasargod.

You mentioned that the road is narrow. How much is the road shoulder height? To give way to an incoming vehicle, if one has to get off the road, will it touch the bottom?
No problem with the shoulder height unlike the other rural roads in Karnataka, but at some places, the total road width itself is less. The roads are getting wider now as recently Karnataka started some hydro powerstatio work

Quote:
How dense are the forests? And how sparse is the traffic? If a tree falls, will it block the entire road and we would have to remove it all ourselves if the traffic is less?
The forest is dense, and there will very less daylight even in midnoon.. But recently there were some large scale tree felling done by Govt. at some areas. Wind and Tree falling is usually happens in begining of monsoon. Surprisingly, wild animals are spotted only in the hoardings ..!!

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 25th November 2009 at 17:57.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:45   #22
BHPian

I have found these routes mentioned below, pl advice the best
Travelers are Me, Wifey, our son who is 3yrs old

Blore to Kannur:

1. Bangalore - Mysore - HD Kote - Nagarhole - Mananthavady(Kerala) - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur.
2. Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - SultanBattery - Mananthavady - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur
3. Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpatty - Kattikulam - Manandvady -Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur (356 km only)
4. Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad
Old 25th November 2009, 18:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Nitin, please see this post for details about the route -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1353322

Once you touched NH-17, take left to go to the Nalanda Resort, its in the right side on the riverside, just before reaching Nileswar. For going to Bekal directly, you need to go to Kanhangad town and take right in the circle. PM me if you need more information

Thanks
Rajesh
Thanks Rajesh, that thread was confusing, so I just compiled everything & posted it here again, appreciate you review the same & suggest the route.

I also found that there are these places which should not be missed when you are in kannur would you know them?

1. Mahe-an ex french colony --9 sq km lagoon on arabian sea ,now under UT Podicheery

2. Ezimalla hills again a small 10 sq km Lagoon near Arabian sea coast .Here you can find lush green hilla and beutifull sea beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@crn12

Boat stay is economic only if you have min 6 (8 is good) people as they have a
minimum rate for a boat ( one has to hire a full boat for this ride). If more people, then they will charge extra per person. for 2/3 people it is bit expensive.

other than this -then the 'Vismaya'- which I already told you.
May be worth taking your son VISMAYA to this 'vismaya"?
Yes the boat ride is expensive for me.
Thanks again, this was indeed very surprising to me I would for sure take him there
Old 25th November 2009, 20:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Blore to Kannur:

1. Bangalore - Mysore - HD Kote - Nagarhole - Mananthavady(Kerala) - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur.
2. Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - SultanBattery - Mananthavady - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur
3. Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpatty - Kattikulam - Manandvady -Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur (356 km only)
Option 3 is best if you could start before 2pm from Bangalore.

About the places to visit, I am not sure what is there in Mahe, other than many Bars. For Ezhimala, you cannot explore much as currently this is the Naval Base and a secure area. PM me, if you need more information

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 26th November 2009, 10:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Rajesh
A colleague of mine drove his Honda City last week from Kannur to Madikeri via Kutta and was considerably irritated on the road condition near Kutta. It took him nearly 3 hours to cross a 25 km stretch of 'no-road' near Kutta. At times his wife had to get out of the car and assist him to check whether the car bottom is hitting the road.

RajeshK,
Do you have any details on the current road condition?

crn12,
In case you are driving a high GC vehicle, then it should probably be ok. But not with a low GC sedan or hatch.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:

About the places to visit, I am not sure what is there in Mahe, other than many Bars. For Ezhimala, you cannot explore much as currently this is the Naval Base and a secure area. PM me, if you need more information

Thanks
Rajesh
Sent you a PM, my colleague is suggesting me Route 2 as well, any thoughts on that?
Old 26th November 2009, 10:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
A colleague of mine drove his Honda City last week from Kannur to Madikeri via Kutta and was considerably irritated on the road condition near Kutta. It took him nearly 3 hours to cross a 25 km stretch of 'no-road' near Kutta. At times his wife had to get out of the car and assist him to check whether the car bottom is hitting the road.
crn12,
In case you are driving a high GC vehicle, then it should probably be ok. But not with a low GC sedan or hatch.
WoW, this scares me mate...I am driving a Palio, & I am sure this is not what I am looking at. pl share if you have other alternatives in mind
Old 26th November 2009, 11:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WoW, this scares me mate...I am driving a Palio, & I am sure this is not what I am looking at.
laluks comment, from the other thread on drive dated 22 Nov 2009, is copy pasted below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1597732

"Thittimathy to Kutta, mostly are in shambles, with huge craters often. Kutta to Tholpetty and further on for while is better not described, there are no words."

"Pathetic roads from Mananthavadi till you hit Hunsur road. My advice is avoid this unless absolutely urgent to reach Bangalore."

Quote:
pl share if you have other alternatives in mind
I think it all depends on whether you intend to cross the forest section during day time or night time. If during day time, I guess option 2 would suit best from road condition point of view. But traffic could be more.

Alternatively, option 4 as suggested by RajeshK in posts below could be tried as RajeshK indicates that the road condition is good.

Quote:
No problem with the shoulder height unlike the other rural roads in Karnataka, but at some places, the total road width itself is less. The roads are getting wider now as recently Karnataka started some hydro powerstatio work

The forest is dense, and there will very less daylight even in midnoon.. But recently there were some large scale tree felling done by Govt. at some areas. Wind and Tree falling is usually happens in begining of monsoon. Surprisingly, wild animals are spotted only in the hoardings ..!!
Quote:
Any reason why you didn't took the Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad route? This would have been atleast 20-25km short to Nileswar, and better road though it is narrow.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Blore to Kannur:

crn12,
Where exactly have you finally decided to go - Kannur/Kanhangad/Nileswaram/Bekal/Kasargod? You have mentioned all these places in the other thread.
If you are not staying in Kannur, but in any of the other places up north, then I suggest you include below option as well.

5. Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sulya - Cherkala

This route has bad section between Kushal Nagar and Madikeri. Rest of the stretch range from ok to excellent.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1600601
Old 30th November 2009, 11:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
crn12,
Where exactly have you finally decided to go - Kannur/Kanhangad/Nileswaram/Bekal/Kasargod? You have mentioned all these places in the other thread.
If you are not staying in Kannur, but in any of the other places up north, then I suggest you include below option as well.

5. Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sulya - Cherkala

This route has bad section between Kushal Nagar and Madikeri. Rest of the stretch range from ok to excellent.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1600601
sbraj,

Decided to go to Nileswaram & then a day in Madikeri when we return by that way, which is Kannur - Kasargood - Madikeri - Bangalore

Cheers Nitin

Most Viewed