Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 17:00   #1
BHPian

Lazying in Backwaters..Far Away from the Mad Roads

what do u do when u feel lazy, snug as a bug, and want to be away from the mad streets?where would we get some fresh air and a glorious day break?

I found the perfect way out one morning, board a houseboat..this was the starting point (resembles a parking lot?)

Off we went in our houseboat to explore the slow life in the backwaters

he set off for his bath, rowing many miles daily (rowing so much distance??? for a bath when surrounded by water on all sides? or was it an excuse to meet his girll?)

for him, the day just started

this was just a begining into the wonderful cruise with more to follow

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 19th November 2008 at 17:11.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures my friend, the pictures reinforce the fact that the people living around the waterways in kuttanad areas have built a way of life and lifestyle around the water that surrounds them pretty interesting way of life...especailly involving eating dishes made out of fresh from the backwater fish called " Pearlspot" or karimeen ... oh my mouth waters at the mention of that name... everytime i passby that area i make it a point to drop in on one of the numerous toddy shaaps and have my fill or karimeen in various configurations hehheheh

Cant wait to see the rest of the pictures...

Last edited by hellstar : 19th November 2008 at 18:59.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good photos, mate!

And nice captions also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
... everytime i passby that area i make it a point to drop in on one of the numerous toddy shaaps and have my fill or karimeen in various configurations hehheheh...
Don't say this loudly, will give a valid reason for our Kerala based BHP'ians to call for a meet!
Old 19th November 2008, 20:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Don't say this loudly, will give a valid reason for our Kerala based BHP'ians to call for a meet!
Okay that calls for a meet. Will post a meet thread soon for the 29/30th of this month.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:34   #5
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Okay that calls for a meet. Will post a meet thread soon for the 29/30th of this month.
Call for it! I'll be there. BTW, where is the location? looks like allepey/kuttanad area.

Old 19th November 2008, 20:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Call for it! I'll be there. BTW, where is the location? looks like allepey/kuttanad area.
Done already
Long Time No D R I V E! Calling Cochin/CBE/TVM! - Team-BHP
Old 19th November 2008, 23:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
especailly involving eating dishes made out of fresh from the backwater fish called " Pearlspot" or karimeen ... oh my mouth waters at the mention of that name... everytime i passby that area i make it a point to drop in on one of the numerous toddy shaaps and have my fill or karimeen in various configurations hehheheh

Cant wait to see the rest of the pictures...
pics of karimeen fry on the way,sir. i'm still in the pre-lunch session. now now, if only mallus could stop drooling at the sight of karimeens..but then, mallus won't be mallus. i think i've a pic of 2 guys coming out from a toddy 'shaaaap' with a big bucket filled up to the brim with toddy. hats off to those gentlemen cheers:
Old 19th November 2008, 23:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks so peaceful in stark comparison to what I get to see daily!
Old 20th November 2008, 07:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mysticeyes, just see what you have done! Now these guys will have a meet, drink a lot of toddy and eat a ton of those delicacies and post those photos so that the rest of the Mallu's outside Mallu Land can only see and drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
... if only mallus could stop drooling at the sight of karimeens..but then, mallus won't be mallus...
This statement itself would have got some people drooling, just the thought is enough!

Quote:
... i think i've a pic of 2 guys coming out from a toddy 'shaaaap' with a big bucket filled up to the brim with toddy. hats off to those gentlemen cheers:
True mallu's!

Hey Mystic, loved the second photo; a classic!
Old 20th November 2008, 09:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

We did this last July as a family outing and it was an out-of-the-world experience - 24 hours on a houseboat just lazing around the backwaters. We were a group of 8 adults and 4 kids and rented 2 boats. Even the sceptics among the family were astounded and wanted an encore.

Just to put it into perspective, I am quoting the conversation I overheard at the Alappuzha tourist centre (where all the boats dock - 1st pic in this travelogue) between 2 young men, in Hindi :

X : Hey, why are you so excited about these houseboats ? Have you not seen one before?
Y : I sure have seen houseboats before.

X : Then why so much excitement as if you were seeing one for the first time ?
Y : Man, I have seen houseboats in the Dal Lake in Kashmir. But these... These are just out of the world, man. They are just amazing.

So, guys do it when you get a chance.

I should have done a travelogue here, but I posted it all on my blog and was kind of lazy to repeat here - especially the snap upload part is a pain. Am thinking of giving it a shot if time permits.
Old 20th November 2008, 09:54   #11
BHPian

more pics on the way and let mallus be the true mallus. I got the "bucket&toddy" snap i mentioned. but i'm sorry that I can't post it without the permission of the guys. wish the seniors who are planning the get together and break the tranquility would invite lesser mortals like us too
Old 20th November 2008, 10:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
more pics on the way and let mallus be the true mallus. I got the "bucket&toddy" snap i mentioned. but i'm sorry that I can't post it without the permission of the guys. wish the seniors who are planning the get together and break the tranquility would invite lesser mortals like us too
Hey dude dont keep us , out of state mallus waiting for glimpses of our home state like this ...
Old 20th November 2008, 10:48   #13
BHPian

into the cruise

sighhh...the rustic life in backwaters, with life in slow motion
and sometimes in not so slow motion

soon, the paddy fields of Kuttanad turned up

it seemed like harvest time with the 'rice-boat trains' present everywhere

we saw the influence of internet on tender "COCO-NET"

a rare scene..boat from Nehru Trophy Race docked in open

the cruise continued, making us wonder how life remains so slow here even after so many visits
Old 20th November 2008, 11:37   #14
BHPian

into the cruise, continued..

the voyage passed through 6-block, kainakary, kavalam etc..the experience is too good to be described. this was my 4th journey in 6 years. yet, some new feeling comes up everytime.

saw some shrewd 'mobile salesmen' on the route, selling priivisions nd bar soaps

double decked houseboat, the latest fad in crusing and corporate board meetings

wondered if we could spend some time at this idlyic resort cum spa

soon it was time for a major activity-LUNCH
Old 20th November 2008, 11:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. wish the seniors who are planning the get together and break the tranquility would invite lesser mortals like us too
Err...you dont need an invite to join us - an open meet thread is usually posted and anyone can join in from there.

However in your case, I've even forwarded a PM containing a link to the meet thread LAST EVENING - please check your inbox.

Dont be shy - because we most certainly arent!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks