Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 12:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

I think Mirik is highly doable in August. The hills look gorgeous in monsoon. It's a different beauty altogether.
I would also perhaps look at either Mongpong (WBFDC bungalow) or Chalsa/Lataguri in Dooars. The sanctuaries and national parks would be officially closed though.
There are several routes to Mirik from the plains. Therefore there is no need to fear the landslides. You need not necessarily go via Ghoom (Hill Cart Road) for Mirik. But yes, that's a beautiful road via Sukhia Pokhari.
Go for it Zappo.
Old 12th August 2009, 11:46   #92
BHPian

@ 1100 D i envy you .. pics are awesome man !!!1
Old 12th August 2009, 13:58   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
What if I do not go up to Darjeeling? If from Mirik I go to the forests of Dooars? Does that sound more feasible for the season? I mean, are the climbs to the Mirik just as treachorous and narrow as Darjeeling? And how about the jungles of Dooars?

The thing is if I do not go to Mirik then maybe I will go to some seaside location. Frasergunj and the area around sound interesting but then the problems are,
1. One may need to wrap up within a day. I do not think there is much around Frasergunj to stay anyways beyond a max of 2 days.
2. How does one time his arrival at Namkhana to coincide with the High Tide? Otherwise ferrying the car to the otherside may not be possible.

If nothing seems possible I may just end up doing a drive to mondarmoni.
Siliguri to Mirik is much wider and less steeper road than Darjeeling.
And very scenic in terms natural beauty.

Regarding Fazergunj, you can checkout Henry Islands too
A night stay at Henry Island will be wonderful.
At Namkhana you have to ferry across during high Tide.
But the Ferry is operational from 8am to 8pm, charges 300/- for small cars.

Talsari is much better option than Mondarmoni.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
Siliguri to Mirik is much wider and less steeper road than Darjeeling.
And very scenic in terms natural beauty.

Talsari is much better option than Mondarmoni.
Road to Darjeeling as I saw last time was one way till Kurseong. (descending thru the Pankhabari route) . However the road to Mirik, from Sukna (the fork where the right one is the Pankhabari route and the left goes to Mirik) actually felt more steep and had Traffic descending from the other side. (But as Sudipto says, was beautiful)

At Talsari, the stink of rotten fish is a definite turn-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Great travelogue !!! But seriously the title seemed like Dutch courage to me why,...would you off all (being an enthusiast) knowing well enough that your car needed crucial spares put it thru this ordeal running at less than desired efficiency and performance levels!! I could'nt and would'nt dream of it. In fact given an option on delaying the rent than delay servicing my car I'd choose the former !!
Somethings are difficult to explain! If you read thru the opening section, you would know that there was no negligence per se, there was adequate planning involved to make this trip. Now the unavailability of the clutch plate would have thrown that plan out of the window.

Even as I write this, the car is in the workshop for the last two days where the Mechie's are trying to sort out a "squeak" from the front right suspension. So the car condition is actually of utmost importance.

However as I mentioned, this was a family thing, we wanted to go out together after a long time, so just went ahead with it. Even in the past we have had much more adventurous trips, the days we did not have mobile phones, only the willpower to get out of situations.

Last edited by 1100D : 13th August 2009 at 14:24.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:44   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Anirban - I was in Kolkata and we could not catch up with you. Maybe better luck next time. The pictures are awesome and your Ikon looks great but I still like the timeless beauty of the Fiat anyday. I think a Mumbai to Kolkata trip in one of my fiats would not be out of place.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th August 2009, 19:34   #96
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue.... soooper snaps, super nature.
And, Ur Black Ford looks cool.
Congrats on a nice trip.
Old 15th August 2009, 00:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Fantastic Travelogue.... soooper snaps, super nature.
And, Ur Black Ford looks cool.
Congrats on a nice trip.
I couldnt agree more. Great stuff from 1100D.
Old 16th August 2009, 08:47   #98
BHPian

Amazing travelogue. Excellent script and stunning pictures. Always wanted to see Bengal. The desire has just become so much bigger with this story.

BH.
Old 16th August 2009, 09:56   #99
BHPian

Excellent writeup and pictures Anirban!! Even if somebody have not been there - your travelogue will surely create a virtual tour for him. It revived my memory of my Darjeeling trip taken 10 years ago.

Arup
Old 16th August 2009, 10:43   #100
BHPian

Wow dude!!! Amazing travelouge. Best photographs I ve seen. You must have had a whale of a time. And your car is impecabbly maintained I must say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks