Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 08:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshiv View Post
That's a dream run ! BTW, Is there any monthly subscription for the GPS that you have?
Hi rshiv,
There is no monthly subscription, you have to buy All india map for around 4000 Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potlaravi View Post
Travelbug,
Nice travelogue. Beautiful photos with comic touch comments. I fully agree with all your Observation ( though I am not sure about point 6)comments. Hope you have enjoyed too long journey.
Thanks Potlaravi,

As for Point 6, I asked 4-5 petrol bunks but all said that they lock petrol dispenser's in the night because of some looting incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
Bugblog? Good.

most of the candid snaps you took, I would have taken too.
We need more people like you. what more can I say?
Thanks btirthankar,
Have some more of these snaps but due to limitation of 20 couldn't upload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
6692 kms! You really are bitten by the bug, aren't you?

Btw, beautiful travelogue with nice pictures, nice captions & a nice narrative. Enjoyed reading it. Just wanted to know one thing - which camera you used?
Ranjith
Thanks Ranjith,
I used Casio 7.2 Megapixel camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
Very nice travelouge Travelbug

Seems that you and your wife had a great time.

6700 kms seems unachievable for me.

You have done my 6 months commute in less than 1 month

If you got say an average of 19 kmpl-- 6700/19-- which comes to around 352 litres and in Bombay you get Petrol for 57 Rs which means --

350 * 57 = WHOOPING Rs. 19950

+ 2600 for toll

That is excluding your hotel, eateries, refreshments, etc.

Its very expensive buddy but all what matters is that it is worth the tremendous effort and you and your beloved enjoyed it.

Happy motoring pal./
Thanks fidaford,

We do had a great time. Drive was expensive but when I compared it with the present airfare it was almost the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Fantastic travel.

Whats your maximum non-stop distance covered in car?

Hats off to your wife being with you on such a hectic trip by car. You stand by your nickname . Lucky that you managed the sudden slope well, thank god
Hi Surprise,

Max distance travelled nonstop in the car is 800 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice one Travelbug, good pics too.
what is the GPS which you are using?

Abhi
Thanks Abhi,

Gps is from Mapmyindia navigator (Delphi).
Old 4th December 2008, 15:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Though i have GPS in my N95 8gig i still prefer the Human GPS i.e - Window down and ask fo directions from a local guy

I didnt know there is a limitation of 20 pics!
Old 4th December 2008, 17:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Though i have GPS in my N95 8gig i still prefer the Human GPS i.e - Window down and ask fo directions from a local guy

Buddy I also have N95 but it has limitations. As for "Pulling window down and asking from local guy" I fear you may not get anyone at 02:00 am in the morning and you can't stop just anywhere to ask directions in the night expecially if you have lady as co passenger. But yes dont rely fully on GPS ask for directions. In my case GPS was 99.9% accurate.
Old 4th December 2008, 18:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Oh NOPE. There should be expection to guys like Laluks (The Civil guy), Supreme Baleno and other special photograhers

But seriously, going to be bit tough for the guys who write their travelogues as blogs. Sam, are you hearing
Old 4th December 2008, 19:16   #20
BHPian

@Travelbug-True to your signature,you have done a lot of motoring in such a short period.

Very good Travelogue and pictures.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh NOPE. There should be expection to guys like Laluks (The Civil guy), Supreme Baleno and other special photograhers

But seriously, going to be bit tough for the guys who write their travelogues as blogs. Sam, are you hearing
Surprise, should I take objection or a compliment

Travel bug, nice one. Hows swifty doing after the run?
Old 4th December 2008, 19:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Travel Bug,

Congratulations on finishing a meaty run with nice photographs!!!! Really enjoyed reading about your run, very clear log of timings and distance, gives some kind of a recent bench mark for the sectors, loved it, my kind of run.

Your averages are pretty good, except for the Surat-Baroda section, anybody could get mired there. If you minus that section, you have clocked one of the best times in these sectors; I can say this as I've done the entire stretch.

6692 KM is some drive on a Swift, great non-stop laps, single driver etc., .... Salutes

--Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th December 2008 at 19:52.
Old 4th December 2008, 20:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well written - Thanks for sharing! You should have taken a snap of the 3 foot drop that you mentioned. Scary stuff at 3 digit speeds - what was it doing there?!!
Old 4th December 2008, 20:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

great miles guzzled. i didn't think gps is so correct and useful. not many pics comparing the miles that you covered. busy typing captions for other pics?
Old 4th December 2008, 20:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
great non-stop laps,

--Ramky
====
Surprised Ramkya1, I know you as one who will not advocate long continous drive without rest .

Yes, travel bug has to be complimented in all aspects for covering such a distance solely
Old 4th December 2008, 20:53   #26
BHPian

thats obviously a dare, i could think of something like that , when i get married next year, i guess your life partner is the best travel partner to have.
Well i am thinking of buying a new petrol car, right now i have a diesel fiat palio 1.9d , what car would you recommend , A star or swift or the Getz
Old 4th December 2008, 21:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Awesome experience and good to hear that ur companion shares this passion too. Well the traffic jams are just the part of the problema nd i dont understand why markings are not provided in every city. In mumbai its ok atleast but some cities actually never bother to have them
Old 4th December 2008, 21:21   #28
Team-BHP Support

Nice travelogue and pics. I have always preferred to travel by car if time permits and it is good that your wifey shares the passion with you. Hope to see many more BugBlogs..
Old 4th December 2008, 21:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Real nice travelog my friend. Took me on a virtual drive.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprised Ramkya1, I know you as one who will not advocate long continous drive without rest .

Yes, travel bug has to be complimented in all aspects for covering such a distance solely
I personally don't like to drive after dark, but I've done A'bad-Ghaziabad 1000kms in a day (many times), A'Bad-Satara many times -800 kms and back (on the way south) & recently Bhopal-A'bad-630 kms and such long drives. The most difficult was Pune-Shirdi-Saputara-A'bad-700+ and had to drive late into the night, very uncomfortable having had to push safety norms. Most of my drives ARE continuous but with short breaks. I surely don't recommend continuous sleepless single-driver, night drives, you'd be pushing the limits of safety.

This drive did cover great distances, with rest when tired and on the GQ with great average times, I can truly feel the kick of this drive just by reading it.

Now-a-days many people are doing continuous, sleepless drives through the night, though not ideal. Basu is going strong, many others are doing it knowing fully the risks; so each man unto his own.

The spirit of the drive is what really excites, it's one hell of a kick reading people doing it and coming out stronger, smiling and OK.

A friend of mine 2 months back drove Delhi-Mumbai alone on a bike in 24 hours, listened to me on the way back and broke journey in Himmatnagar on the way back, no way to go in my books !!!!!

Only yesterday, I talked to somebody from Delhi who would be driving non-stop through the night from Delhi to Khajuraho / Panna, returning next day to Delhi!!!!! They have multiple drivers. There's another person from Faridabad driving down Delhi-Mumbai in one stretch and from there to Bangalore, on the return leg they would be driving from Goa to Jaipur!!!! They too have 2 drivers and would take adquate stops, this seems to be catching on. A rest and multiple drivers increases the safety margin to a great extent.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th December 2008 at 22:40.

Most Viewed