Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 22:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

A tad off topic but you know the problems of the tea industry and its workers, particularly in Dooars, cannot be solved through tea tourism. There are thousands of workers and the potential of tourism in comparison is really meagre. The tea industry is now paying the price of once upon a time enjoying a protected market in Russia for a long time when they sent quality through the window. During that period Sri Lankan orthodox made its inroads through high quality tea. Dooars gardens are paying the price of those misdeeds of the seventies and eighties. Once upon a time they used to sell factory sweepings in Russia as tea.
I am sorry if this is grossly off topic.
Old 15th December 2008, 23:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
A tad off topic but you know the problems of the tea industry and its workers, particularly in Dooars, cannot be solved through tea tourism. There are thousands of workers and the potential of tourism in comparison is really meagre. The tea industry is now paying the price of once upon a time enjoying a protected market in Russia for a long time when they sent quality through the window. During that period Sri Lankan orthodox made its inroads through high quality tea. Dooars gardens are paying the price of those misdeeds of the seventies and eighties. Once upon a time they used to sell factory sweepings in Russia as tea.
I am sorry if this is grossly off topic.
I guess it is...Off Topic!

But this goes to almost every industry of India. What about cars & trucks? Apart from decades old Ambassador and Fiat, what else did we have? The puny Maruti-Suzuki 800 was such a big hit in those 'famine' times!!

I just about managed to get back to Topic
Old 15th December 2008, 23:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Its great to know that you are from that area. It has become my favourite over the last few years. Where exactly are you from? Would be nice if you can share some experience of yours. There is not much info on N Bengal in TBHP.
North Bengal, which comprises mainly three districts of West Bengal - Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri and Coochbihar, is a virgin land. Especially known for three 'T's - Tea, Timber and Tourism. I'm basically from Jalpaiguri, surrounded by beautiful tea gardens and National park's (Jaldapara - famous for one horn rhino), santuaries - Gorumara, Bauxa, nature's park - Rasikbill. This place share international boundaries with Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan. Baghdogra, the domestic airport is just 12km from the gateway of Dooars, Siliguri. Queen of Hill, Darjeeling, is just 80 km from Siliguri, encircled by picturesque Kalimpong, kursiong and neighboring Sikkim. Request every fellow TBHPians to visit North Bengal to enjoy the beauty of mother nature.
Old 16th December 2008, 02:42   #34
BHPian

Yes, we are just about treading the thin line between being in topic and off topic here. But, I was not aware of the reason for the downfall of the tea industry. Thanks for mentioning it here.

@gaddiwale: Thanks for sharing the perspective. N Bengal is really a hidden gem, specially the forests, for those who love wildlife.

Will try to find out some time to share my experiences at Jaldapara, Buxa and Jayanti.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:20   #35
adc
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue and some excellent pics, reminded me of the North Bengal tour that we took the next day we got the Safari. Murti and Sunatlekhola were our favourites. The forests of N Bengal are the best still now and very well preserved.

Also looking forward to the Buxa forest travelogue, will heading to that area sometime in April, particularly will be going to interior Buxa that is always less travelled.

Last edited by adc : 19th December 2008 at 18:22.
Old 19th December 2008, 20:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Also looking forward to the Buxa forest travelogue, will heading to that area sometime in April, particularly will be going to interior Buxa that is always less travelled.
Wish to find out some time during the lean period of year end, when there would be less workload. Will try to out together the Buxa travelogue.

Your bull has been to many places and sure it would not be a problem for you, but, in 2006, the road of interior Buxa was horrible. However, the beauty of the forest makes up for it. It is one of the most dense forests that I have ever been to. If possible, try to get in touch with the forest ranger and arrange for a night drive inside the forest. We also spent a night on a watch tower deep inside Buxa. It was an exhilarating experience. I suggest, plan your trip around a full moon night.

Also, try to do the Buxa fort trek. Its not a very difficult trek and takes around 1.5 - 2 hrs one side, depending on your pace. There is not much left of the fort, but the views are to die for. From Jayanti, do visit the Mahakal temple. You have to drive along the Jayanti river bed and trek for the rest of the path. We did not do this last time, but, surely its worth it.

Another suggestion would be to visit the Chilapata forest on way to Jaldapara. There are staying options inside the forest, but I do not have the contacts with me.

While at Buxa, we stayed at the Buxa Jungle Lodge by WBFDC at Rajabhatkhawa, but it makes more sense to stay inside Jayanti. There are a few options there and in April, I do not expect much crowd there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks