Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 01:17   #16
BHPian

Very much true. Ponmudi is also a boozing point for Trivandrumites. Infact among my trips, only once I didn't touch booze at all, during the honey moon trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
You forgot to mention the drinks you will have in your hand!cheers:
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

A Sunday's Drive to Ponmudi

Hoping my friend Nutty Nair wouldn't mind, I am bumping up an old thread with some latest photos.

Last Sunday after a great breakfast, was in a mood for a long drive. Decided on the spot that we are going to Ponmudi, a place my family has never been to. I know its a shame inspite the place being just 70 odd KMS from my house (may be the fact I have been there zillions of times in the past had something to do with this). Any way once decision made - fuleed up and just drove on

Very good roads all the way (little potholes near nedumangad ares does not count). Again I had to marvel at the alignment of the road, which is perfect for some spirited driving. But once you hit the hills and the 22 hair pins, you want to slowdown only to enjoy the beauty areound you

At the foothills - there is a check point, as Ponmudi is now a "liquor" and "plastic free" zone. All plastics and even drinking water plastic bottles hav to be thrown away. Very polite and efficient guards at that point with majority of them being ladies.

Now I let the photos speak (sorry about the quality as I has my I phone only with me to shoot with)

One observation I had was that the amount of bikes parked at the "upper sanitorium" parking as seen below suggests that even in Trivandrum, bikes are slowly transitioning from essential to a lifestyle tool.

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1205a.jpg

The pictures are all from the "upper sanitorium" area as I was busy with my drive and did not pause to take any pics.

Total trip time 4.5 hours.

The pictures were taken at around 1.30 pm. The Mist at Mid-Day was a great experience as well
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1216a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1214a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1211a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1209a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1208a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1207a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1204a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1203a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1202a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1197a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1196a.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1217a.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd July 2014 at 07:59.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi

Here's my dashcam video of the entire Ponmudi hill climb covering all the 22 hairpin bends - this was made during December 2020.

clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 19:34   #19

Re: Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi

One Day Trip to Kallar Meenmutty Falls, Peppara Dam and Neyyar Dam and Wildlife Sanctuary

Prologue:

Declaration – This is my first post in Team BHP and literally my membership was approved only the day before of this travel. Any errors – please forgive me and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Three days continuous leave was coming in the Independence Day weekend and hence decided to go for a short one day trip nearby to my native place. I roped in my BIL and two other friends and the ride is My 4 month old 5th Gen Honda City VX MT Petrol. We have kept the options as Ponmudi, Veli Beach and Manjolai, all are within 2-3 hrs driving range from my home. Since its only a one day trip, no staying requirements and only boys are going, we kept the options open and thought we will meet on 14th Morning 7.30 AM and we will proceed to the location that appeals the most at that time.

Personally, I was hoping for Manjolai or Ponmudi, since that involves some hill driving and I wanted to stretch the legs of my City (Whatever be the present norms for engine run in, I'm bit old school in that segment and never crossed 4000 RPM in my 3000 KM run so far. I know, I know, I'm not doing justification for the IVTEC engine – but, that's for some other day on a 4 lane Highway).

Anyhow, a quick online search confirmed that, Manjolai requires prior permission and strictly Sedans are not allowed. Since the friend's Nexon was in Service Centre for a small work, City was the only available option and hence Manjolai was eliminated. So I decided on Ponmudi, with a little hope that, I will be able to convince the others and the following Itinerary was finalised. Ponmudi and on the return way, Kallar Meenmutty Waterfalls, Peppara Dam and Neyyar Dam and Wildlife Sanctuary. But God had other plans.

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-screenshot_20220815_192804.jpg

Travelogue:

So as per the plan, on 14th Morning I picked up the BIL and other two friends and proceeded to Ponmudi. The route was Thuckalay – Marthandam – Vellarada – Aryanad – Iruthalamoola Junction – Kallar – Ponmudi. The Road was pretty decent (Entire trip is on typical Kerala Two Way Lanes) and the portion of Nedumangad Ponmudi Highway from Iruthalamoola Junction to Kallar is a dream for Sedan Lovers and Petrol Heads with best handlers. The Roads are without any blemishes and have their twists and turns.

We reached Golden Valley, some 14 KMs prior to Ponmudi and we were stopped and told that, there was a land slide and hence we cannot proceed further. My desire to conquer the hairpin bends were shattered and decided to visit the other places. Is there a sweet surprise for me? Yes there is.

Kallar Meenmutty Waterfalls:

Its a small diversion from the Nedumanagd Ponmudi Road and you have to take ticket at the entrance. 30 Rs for adult and 30 Rs for the vehicle. I was little bit apprehensive about the Road from Kallar junction to the parking area which was approximately 500 metres from the entrance. The road was almost an Off Road experience with boulders and River Crossing (Don't expect something from Leh Ladakh Trip) and boy, I was glad that I decided to take the City to the parking area. If you are too apprehensive, you can park the vehicle at the entrance itself. The parking area is at premium at both the entrance and at the designated parking area.

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-screenshot_20220816_180632.jpg

Once you park the vehicle, you will be greeted with the sound of flowing water and nearby the parking area itself you will be greeted with access to the river flowing on the rocks and pebbles, a sight to behold with the crystal clear water. The Waterfalls was still 1 KM away and you have to Trek all the way. We thought 'Paisa Vasool', since the ambience at the start of the trek itself is great and we have to further trek for 1000 metres along the river and was hoping that sights worth much more are coming. The trek was pretty safe with guards posted at every 200 metres and provisions to rest. There was a watch tower at the end of the trek and the waterfalls was still some good 100 metres from the watch tower. There are no provisions to access the river throughout the trek and you cannot even go near by the waterfalls sans trying to bath in the same.

The Trek was not that difficult and if you are not a trekking person, I will suggest you to avoid the trekking and enjoy the views nearby the parking area itself. There is Restrooms available for both Men and Women and Change Rooms are available for ladies. We decided to take a bath in the river and the water was cold and refreshing.

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220816_185500.jpg
Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_1081.jpeg

Lunch:

We decided to head for the Peppara Dam and have lunch at somewhere enroute. You have to take a left after Theviyode and on the way we stopped at this small hotel called 'Kattile Kada' (Meaning – Shop in the Forest). Food was served on Koovan Kilangu Leaf (unlike traditional banana leaf) with 'Mayakuna Kilangu' (Smashed Tapioca) and 'Kanji Vellam' (Rice Boiled Water – By product of cooking the rice through traditional way – We used to have the same in my Grandma's home when I was very little, and is provided normally instead of water. Its boiled and rich in Carbohydrate and Nutritions – Sweet Old Days). The food was very tasty and a full meals was just Rs.70 and you get Sambhar, Rasam and tasty Puliseri. Non Veg was also available and the same is well cooked and tasty. We stumbled upon this joint accidentally, but later found good online reviews too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1081.JPEG
Views:	111
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2347154

Peppara Dam:

After a sumptuous lunch, we proceeded to the Peppara Dam. The route to Peppara Dam was magnificent with forest on both sides of the Road. The forests were very dense, such that a normal person cannot enter the forest. During the monsoon the route will be magnificent in all its greenish glory. Seeing the same, my friend commented, 'Still there is Nature left for us to destroy' (Pun Intended). We reached Peppara and there is no entrance fee, but you to have make entry at the register. Since there are no other attractions, the place is almost deserted and is a perfect place if you don't like crowd.

Network Coverage is available for 95% of the area for the BSNL, atleast for call connectivity, if not for Internet. I have a Airtel Sim too and the coverage is available at 50% areas we covered.

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220814_142806.jpg
Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220814_144012.jpg

Neyyar Dam and Wildlife Sanctuary:

A Travelogue will not be complete, without Google playing its role, right? Since there was no internet coverage (I have not downloaded Offline Maps, suggest others to do the same at the start of the trip), we decided to retrace the route till Theviyode. Once we reached our lunch point, network coverage resumed and shown us a path through Meenankal. When we reached the junction, where we are supposed to take a right turn, there was no road or atleast there was only tyre tracks covered by Grass. It was supposed to be covered only by a proper Off Road capable SUV only.

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-screenshot_20220816_141534.jpg

We proceeded further and it rerouted us through Karippalam – Nellimoodu – Aryanad. The route was very narrow and was passing through forest areas. We are little bit afraid that, if we got stranded for any reason, it will be difficult to arrange for any help. After some time there were signs of civilization and we were relieved. After that it was a straight forward affair to Neyyar Dam.

In front of the dam, there is a Children's park and an aquarium. Most of the rush will be in this area and don't be fooled by it. Take a Left in front of the aquarium and proceed further to reach the ticket counter for boating and other parks. Boating is allowed till 4.00 PM only, but entrance for Aquarium is till 7.00 PM.

We reached there by 3.50 PM and took ticket for Rs.250 per member. This includes Boat Ride, Elephant Park, Deer Park and Crocodile Park. All this are marketing gimmicks and is not worth in my point of view. If you have an interested toddler, the view will be different. For the ticket, you will be taken in a boat ride for 10 mins and you will be dropped at other part of the Reserve Forest. There they are maintaining One Crocodile and Two Elephants (Hence they conveniently calls them as Crocodile Park and Elephant Park). A five minutes walk from there will lead you to another park where they have around 20 Deers. If you have proceeded in your own vehicle from the place where you bought ticket, you would have ended up here and could visit the Deer Park free of cost, though not as nearly as paid visit, but you get my point. There was supposed to be a Lion Safari, but since all the lions are dead, the safari is cancelled.

While returning there is an island in the centre of the reservoir and we noticed some gentlemen standing there. When inquired our boatman informed that, for a cost of Rs.1500/- per member (Food exclusive – They will cook and give whatever you provide to them – apparently there is a building in the centre of the island) you could stay in the island for one day. Since we didn't feel it as VFM, we didn't inquire further. People interested, please confirm, before proceeding further. By the way, the rest rooms nearby the ticket counter are well maintained and the best I have seen in a government facility.

The local Staff informed that the aquarium there is the second largest in Asia. I don't believe the claim, but anyhow, visited the same by paying Rs.30/-. It is well maintained and for the first time I have seen the Piranha (Yes, the same one based on movies) for live along with some other Fishes. The return drive was uneventful

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220814_165103.jpg
Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220816_182706.jpg

Few Points about our Ride:

Ground Clearance – As confirmed by other BHPians who own a 5th Gen City, if you treat the same as a Sedan, the GC is more than sufficient.

Handling – I have not driven the benchmark Germans, but for my driving, the handling of City is very good.

Comfort – Even after driving 225 KMs (Very puny number as per BHPian standards) and the sight seeing and trekking and boating and what not, I felt fresh when the journey was over. Was echoed by all the co passengers too.

Mileage – The MID displayed an average fuel consumption of 14.1 KMPL, while Tank 2 Tank calculation gave me 13.87 KMPL.

Thanks for reading the post and as mentioned in the beginning, this is my first post in TBHP and please forgive me, if there are any errors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220816_182706.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2347168
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220814_114906.jpg  

Magnificent Meenmutti & Misty Ponmudi-img_20220814_164336.jpg  

aravindhunt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks