Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2008, 16:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Nice pics

Just back from a "yeti®" style weekend party in London. Nothing like a walk on a frosty morning around London.

Went to drop my niece off in Kensington, outside the Natuaral History Museum, the forcourt was converted into an ice rink and had blue lighting.

There is something about London - traditional yet funky
Old 13th December 2008, 21:17   #17
BHPian

thanks everyone. Glad you liked the pics. I have a lot more to post

The multicultural feel of London is just incredible. Just like in Mumbai, you can hardly ever feel lonely or out of place there. during weekends the city is kiterally invaded by tourists particularly from the meditterenean countries.

Also the city is beautifully preserved. It is just incredible how careful the town planners are to ensure that the asthetic appeal of the city is not lost. The millenium bridge for example is just a foot bridge but is beautifully designed and positioned so that it complements the St Paul's cathedral. I think this is something that Mumbai town planners can surely learn.
Old 13th December 2008, 21:33   #18
BHPian

inside the tube network

London, UK-img_0865.jpg

orchestra at Paddinton railway station!!

London, UK-img_1824.jpg

London, UK-img_1825.jpg

Paddington railway station

London, UK-img_1829.jpg

London, UK-img_1855.jpg

a station on the Dockland Light Railways (DLR). DLR is an overland rail network connecting central london to Canary Wharfe and Greenwich. The trains usually do not have a driver and are controlled from a cental control hub.

London, UK-img_4448.jpg

notice no driver

London, UK-img_4449.jpg

Train arriving at a tube station

London, UK-picture-293.jpg

Performers at a tube station. This is officially allowed and is called Busking.

London, UK-tube-performer.jpg

London, UK-tube-signage.jpg
Old 13th December 2008, 23:22   #19
BHPian

Absolutely superb pics - particularly the late evening and night shots. The composition of some of the pics are fantastic.

Now that I have seen bits of London, I guess I must make it a point to visit. I have been to Germany and Amsterdam in Europe, but never been to the UK. Your pics have convinced me that London visit is definitely worthwhile.

-GT-
Old 14th December 2008, 00:54   #20
BHPian

London, UK-big-ben.jpg

This one is taken from the tower bridge

London, UK-img_0857.jpg

Owner of the local newspaper agent. These are the kirana shops of UK and almost exclusively owned by people originating from our subcontinent.

London, UK-img_0876.jpg

owners of the local indian eatery, Old Delhi. Typical Delhiwalle :-) surprisingly most "Indian" restaurants/takeaways in the UK are actually owned by bangladeshis.

London, UK-img_0878.jpg

when in London do what the londeners do

London, UK-img_1993.jpg

the london eye

London, UK-london-eye.jpg

too bad you have to throw rubbish at it.

London, UK-too-bad-you-have-throw-rubbish-.jpg
Old 14th December 2008, 16:56   #21
BHPian

the london eye. an interesting thing happen after I got off the london eye. I realised that my camera was running low on memry space. and while i was checking how much space i had i accidently formatted the disc!!! what a tragedy that was. i lost every snap i had taken from top of the london eye. since then I have been fanatical about creating backups and never go anywhere near the format menu.

London, UK-img_4053.jpg

The big ben from across the river

London, UK-img_4061.jpg

the fantastic walk along the banks of river Thames between the london eye and the tower bridge

London, UK-img_4075.jpg

The st pauls cathedral behing this particularly ornate bridge

London, UK-img_4077.jpg

a random boat on the river

London, UK-img_4079.jpg
Locomotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2008, 17:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

WOW !! Superb pictures !!

Loved those of the train stations - simply awesome. Keep them coming mate !
Old 14th December 2008, 17:26   #23
BHPian

Hey man simply awesome pics. Your photography skills are simply amazing! A bit O/T but which camera did you use?
Old 14th December 2008, 18:24   #24
BHPian

Thanks mate. still got a long way to go :-) I use a canon 400D and most of these photos have been taken with a with a 18-125mm sigma lens. Some of the earlier photos were taken with the 18-55mm canon lens that came with the camera.

I have also used an ultra low tech Velbon tripod for most of the night shots :-) i had to literally use myself as a wind shield lest the shot became blurry.

Last edited by Locomotive : 14th December 2008 at 18:36.
Old 14th December 2008, 23:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics buddy! The 5th pic. takes the cake! lol
Old 15th December 2008, 13:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Awesome fotos. I've been to London twice but never had the chance to go around in the night time. I was there during the summer and it typically becomes dark only after 9 pm...

Well the fotos bring back a lot of nostalgia (London was the first overseas place I visited) and at what I've missed.

London is such a tourism oriented city, neat signboards, excellent tourism guides and brochures, travelling inside the city is so easy.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:19   #27
BHPian

I agree, it is indeed very easy to get around anywhere in the city. Just brilliant signage all over the city.

I feel that it is also quite easy to see the city on a shoestring budget, just one of those cities where you could spend as little as possible or as much as possible.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:28   #28
BHPian

another view of the london eye. This was taken about 30 mins after the first one. see how the sky changes colour :-)

London, UK-img_4059.jpg

The St pauls cathedral. I was quite facinated by it. got a lot of snaps of this monument. It is just massive. unfortunately I have no pics that put it in perspective, but it is really really big.

London, UK-img_4090.jpg

London, UK-img_4092.jpg

London, UK-img_4670.jpg

tower of london

London, UK-img_4135.jpg
Old 15th December 2008, 22:21   #29
Team-BHP Support

i once climbed right up to the top of St Pauls- it is challenging as it is steep and narrow. The view is to die for.

Did you visit the Tate Modern opposite the bendy bridge. It is a converted power station. Worth walking into. I normally ensure a visit during the morning and then walk along the Thames upto Westminster, taking in a pub lunch
Old 15th December 2008, 22:36   #30
BHPian

wow i did not know you could do that. certainly i will try it next time i am there. how do you do it. do you have to buy tickets or something?

Havent been to the tate museum but have got some nice pics of it. I will post them up soon.

I really like the millenium bridge. beautiful design. what effort for a foot bridge. also the walk along Thames between the tower bridge and parliament house is just brilliant (a bit long though :-))

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks