Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 15:50   #16
BHPian

Mates,

I read 2 travelogues on GP Kot, I think one was sudipto's , do not remember the second
one . Superb driving directions , In fact I had a couple of Dry run on Wikimapia on Sudipto's passage to GP Kot. I think I should make it.

Re. booking , I looked through at WBFDC website atleast 2 months in advance and
it Showed all full during December peak season, anyway as I was out of India, my
wife casualy chipped in " The Wheels" ( WBFDC booking agent at Ekdalia , Gariahat )
and I got two rooms on the day I wanted . on previous occassions also I booked through "The Wheels" , their service was very good , they are also booking agent of almost all Indian state's tourist departments.

Looking forward for GP Kot. by the way any BBQ or in house bar there IN WBFDC ?

Cheers
Old 18th December 2008, 17:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

The other one would have been Saurabh's travelogue on GPkot which I referred to before my trip. WBFDC doesn't have any bar. So you have to carry your own drinks and associated things like soda, lime cordial, soft drinks, snacks etc. They might give you some ice in the room, I suppose, if at all you need it
Have fun.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:55   #18
BHPian

Re. booking Majumdar Niwas.

Try this one .

CPRO , DVC Towers.
CIT Housing Complex
VIP Road
Kolkata 700054

Tel. 2333 2115

Courtesy : December issue of "Bhraman" Magazine.

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

The CPRO probably talks nicely only to Bhraman and other publications. With my wife they misbehaved like anything over the phone. Whoever picked it up started barking at her right from saying hello. It's nice to have a cushy government job. You can afford to bark at anyone and not run the risk of losing your job.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:14   #20
BHPian

I know sudipto What you meant.
I never dared to approach these babus.

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Was pleasantly surprised to see the name of Maithan in the threads list. 'Coz that's the place where I spent the best years of my life till date.

Was born there and was there till standard 5. This was way back in the 80s and early 90s. Dad used to work for DVC and I used to study in St. Patrick's, Asansol and shuttled between Jharkhand (then Bihar) and WB everyday. Was too naive then too realise what a gem of a place we used to live in. Maithan dam was passe for us then and we'd probably be snoring or playing silly games in the school bus when we crossed it, twice everyday. In fact, Asansol would wake us up as it was like a "hep" place to be in, far from the sleepy colonies of our dear Maithan. Maithan did not have much tourism at that time except for the few picnicers during winter. 'Twas a small, close-knit place where everyone knew everyone. People outside hardly knew of the place.

And now, after so many years, seeing the mention of that place really got me nostalgic. Thanks, Sudipto Da. Would love to see more pics.
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maithan Pics

Was on a weekend trip to Durgapur, and briefly visited Maithan. The place has become much more touristy since my last visit 7 years ago. Thankfully the natural beauty has been retained. A few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta-dsc03328.jpg  

Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta-dsc03330.jpg  

Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta-dsc03331.jpg  

Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta-dsc03332.jpg  

Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta-dsc03334.jpg  

Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta-dsc03337.jpg  

Attached Images

predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi sudiptoda,

Good travelogue with some clear picture. So the hotels are not good there in Maithan. I don't think the advance booking will work with the WBTDC. I hade bitter experiences in 1999 with Jaldapara(Madarihat) and Malda WBTDC Hotels. They didn't even bother to answer the calls those days.
Old 5th October 2017, 14:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maithan - A weekend getaway from Calcutta

My most recent visit to Maithon had been during the 90s. These pictures are so nostalgic. Though at present I cannot relate to any of the images being posted to the ones I remember, but thank you Sudipto da for putting these forward. I sincerely look forward for a trip now towards my hometown.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks