Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 18:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And a 'simple' dinner that takes 3 hrs, man, talk about killing time!!! I hope at least the food was worth it.
The sizzler sauce was really good, can't complain about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
nice pics.
dadu, have you changed your face?
Thats not me in the first pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

Did you visit the Muthapan temple in Parssinni Kaduvu ?

cheers!
Srini
No couldnt do much more than this in the available 2 days for sightseeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its like someone jotted down what a voice guided GPS said .Phew.
I like to take and give GPS like direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You can actually walk across when the tide is low.
Yes, didnt know that before we did it ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Great pics Dadu..I think you might have washed the car after the salt water (sea) shower to it. Otherwise the parts might get corroded. BTW, who was driving the car and who took the pics in the beach.
Washed it throughly including the underbody at the hotel with a hose pipe.

My Wife's colleague got down after the first drive and took pictures, I was the only driver throughout the whole trip.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Street dogs are quite ruthlessly hunted down in Kerala. Cats are quite difficult to catch - hence u find more of them
Old 30th December 2008, 19:05   #18
BHPian

Only driver ?

I love driving in Kerala, but cont driving on those curvy roads can get you tired.
Old 30th December 2008, 19:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue and pics there Dadu. This is a truly beautiful place. You just decided my next trip
Old 30th December 2008, 19:39   #20
BHPian

Nice pics

Hi Dadu,

I did the same trip in Oct. You have refreshed my memory with these nice pics.
Make sure to give your vehicle a thorough wash after the drive in the salty sea water.

-JP
Old 30th December 2008, 20:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue dadu!
Detailed account of the route and the supporting pics were generous beautiful and precise.
Made for an extremely entertaining read.
I hope you have decent rust treatment for your safari after the sea splash you gave it!
Ive added this travelogue to my TRIP list.
Thanks for sharing.
cheers:
Old 30th December 2008, 22:04   #22
BANNED

The Parassinikadavu Muthappan temple is only a few KM from the snake park. And now, the CPi(M) has sponsored an amusement park in the vicinity.

The Muthappan Temple has theyyams in the mornings - most days. You need to give the theyyam fried fish and toddy, and you will be given half of that back after due blessings. ;-)

Just a mention about Kannur - sometimes, it is spelled as "Cannanore" - "Kannan's ooru". There is a Krishna temple within the City (I forgot where), and the folklore has it that the Idol, like the Udupi Krishna Idol, was recovered from the sea / formed part of something gifted by that troubled ship in the sea.
Old 30th December 2008, 23:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Only driver ?

I love driving in Kerala, but cont driving on those curvy roads can get you tired.
Endurance and practice my dear friend will make you drive in any kind of the terrain or even in ghats which > than 50 hair pin bends.
Old 30th December 2008, 23:40   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Also I found no street dogs in the places I saw but more of Cats, seems to be unique to Kerala.
Hmmm... Kannur used to be famous for stray cattle. It seems that the slaughterers brought cattle from elsewhere, and let them loose in the city for feeding and "fattening". Fed up with the menace, the local authorities rounded them (the cattle) up; but the slaughterers ganged up and attacked the "cattle pound" with firearms!!! They used to roam around in what is called the "Caltex" junction - Civil station - Kozhikode road - KSRTC bus stand - Kasargod road, etc. Have no idea about the current state. Will update, if I visit there.
Old 31st December 2008, 04:41   #25
BHPian

Loved the travelogue. The pics of drive on the beach are really good. Added this to my list of places to visit and things to do.
Old 31st December 2008, 08:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dadu,

Am sure the beach drive would have been a great experience. This is the place where I let my wife drive my car the first time, mainly due to the availability of so much space and lack of crowd. And yes, it is such a beautifully maintained beach or rather, people do not mess up the place like other beaches.

Great travelogue, Dadu. Wonderful pictures, which brought back all the memories; have a lot of family history rooted to this place. Also used to head down here during college vacations just to eat the sea food.
Old 31st December 2008, 09:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Theyyam

Next, the guide took us to a temple where theyyam would be performed although the complete ritual is only scheduled for Saturday's.
That is 'Vellattam' where a puja is performed by a 'malayan' and dry fish, country toddy, boiled greengrams+coconut is offered to 'Muthappan'

Theyyam is a more elaborate ritual where choosen people dress up as certain devis or 'kuttichathan' and dance. Its a treat to watch theyyam, with the elaborate costumes and 'makeup.' Its a riot of colors.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
but the slaughterers ganged up and attacked the "cattle pound" with firearms!!!
This is another Kannur speciality - guns, bombs, machates, knives and gang warfare.

Everyone around there seems to believe they are descendants of the legendary warrior Thacholi Othenan (my wife included!) so it is a very violent place.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is another Kannur speciality - guns, bombs, machates, knives and gang warfare.

Everyone around there seems to believe they are descendants of the legendary warrior Thacholi Othenan (my wife included!) so it is a very violent place.
Athreyum veno chetta!!

Avide kore paavangalum jeevikkununde!

Man, what a reputation we seem to have got recently! Totally overshadows the other beautiful things the place has to offer!
But still Mera Thalassery Mahaan! Mera Kannur Athi-Mahaan!
Dadu, hope you enjoyed your stay!
Old 31st December 2008, 11:19   #30
BHPian

Dadu,

Thanks for a detailed travelogue. The Arakkal Museum seems to be worth a visit, though one doesn't hear much about it - invariably it's the forts & beaches which get a mention. You also mentioned the architecture around Kannur - Tellicherry; I drove through this part of Kerala ages back and the old-world architecture really added charm to the place.

With the detailed directions you have given, I have added this to the 'To Visit' list.

Thanks once again .

Most Viewed