Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 13:19   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Add to HVK, I will also never rest my sight on the road for too long on a spot!! I shall keep my eye balls moving (between ORVM & RVMs etc)without loosing focus of the road! This helps me not to get into the 'self hypnotised state' during which most of the accidents happen!!

I am not an expert but would love to hear from others on this!!
Some of my techniques on long night drives:
- Keep dip/dimming headlights to break the monotony of the road and avoid getting hypnotised
- No tea breaks, occasional wash the face
- Music also helps, but I have been driving around for the last 1 year without a music system
- Opening the windows for a few seocnd sto let in fresh air helps
- My co-passengers invariably let me down and snore away to glory - their snores break the monotony of the drive
- I am busy anyway filling up log books and GPS trackers on the move, those are like the dead-man's stick in Bombay's local trains
- Eating fresh fruits helps
Old 6th March 2009, 14:24   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
To avoid sleeping I do these things.
  • Always have a co-driver and that person should not sleep and give company to the driver by chatting.
  • If you feel sleepy, take a break. Have a tea, wash your face, wipe off your face with a wet tissue
  • Keep the windows open for a while. Stale air will make you sleepy.
  • Play some item numbers in the music system
Somehow, none of the above help me much when i am tired and sleepy...And I usually travel alone..

The best is to park up have a nap for 10 minutes and carry on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You'll be fine - nothing lost and everything gained if you stop to take a break.
No Sir, I've lost 10 minutes.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:31   #513
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
No Sir, I've lost 10 minutes.
Not if you take rest / a nap. If you spend 10 minutes just hanging around taking "nice pics", that's a different story
Old 6th March 2009, 14:43   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Not if you take rest / a nap. If you spend 10 minutes just hanging around taking "nice pics", that's a different story
well i kinda agree with you cos..the time spent napping can be recovered in the next hour by averaging 120+ instead of 100+..

one feels more energised!
Old 6th March 2009, 15:20   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Dude if you play Item Numbers your co-passengers who are sleeping behind will kick you,

............... this a good way of getting sleep out.
If an item number is sitting on the co-passenger seat and if you play with it, co-passengers in the back will surely kick you

For me worst times are post-lunch, 30-45 mts after lunch, I feel drowsy even after a light lunch, almost ran off the GQ twice!!!!! I try to put my pet CD, post-lunch, and sing along loudly (much to the discomfort and rage of my sleeping family), when they see the CD, they know what's coming This also warns them I am feeling sleepy, one of them take turns at keeping awake in the co-passenger seat and we sing together!!!!

Taking a sort 5-10 mt. break, a photo-break, a hot coffee/tea and a stop to stretch helps me. I've learned a new trick from HVK from the last GQ trip, munching on biscuits.

--Ramky
========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 6th March 2009 at 15:27.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:40   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If an item number is sitting on the co-passenger seat and if you play with it, co-passengers in the back will surely kick you
Ramky, Thats a cool interpretation of the 'item number/member". I was laughing loud in my cabin after reading your post!!!
Old 6th March 2009, 16:05   #517
BHPian

Good to see the silence broken on this thread. At one point I remember this was the most active thread with updates awaited with bated breath.

Coming to the topic - how to keep awake, every one has a sleep cycle and a normal person feels sleepy 8 times a day. Roughly every three hours. One should know these sleep cycles and consciously work on beating the peak point of sleep cycle.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:36   #518
Senior - BHPian

I just went through the entire thread over 2 days neglecting my work and boy what a drive!

@HVK: Hrag was telling me about their actions in Mumbai while you busy in a business meeting

So is there an encore happening of this anytime?
Old 5th March 2010, 17:49   #519
Senior - BHPian

The link to the Log Book has changed, please note the new link:

GOLDEN QUADRILATERAL 2008 - hvkumar | Google Groups
Old 8th March 2010, 15:21   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Hvk's and MileCruncher's updates this link has come on top of recent updates in travelouges list. Just completed reading whole 35 page's. Dreaming of doing atleast a part of this trip sometime.
Old 31st May 2010, 17:33   #521
BHPian

This is an amazing trip and a superb travelogue.

How many people would be willing to do this kind of a trip if we were to plan something in 2010? I would so love to do this one day and soon.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:48   #522
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Happy to help you all plan a similar trip, depending on the pace you want to set.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks