Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, surprising that there was no snow on the road between Dalhousie and Khajjiar. Especially since I saw that there was heavy snowfall in Dalhousie town a couple of days ago.

Did you manage to go to Lakkar Mandi, the highest mountain in the area, 6 kms off Dalhousie?
Old 8th January 2009, 17:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Himachal had a dry december.
We trekked to Kalatop from Lakkar mandi, however we did not go to the peak
Old 12th January 2009, 15:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

The last full day

Today would be our last full day at Khajjar, so I got up early, around 8:30am to click the pic of the frost covered ground.
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445586519_w85gal.jpg
After that time to sleep again, and it was past 10pm as we ventured out for tea and breakfast etc., I decided to terrorize a sheep
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445587600_9nw7rl.jpg
This is as high you go in the sorry excuse of paragliding
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445590183_8nxq3l.jpg

We idled in the ground. Here is the wonderful pond at the center. Its cleaner than the noida drain and does not smell
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445592117_ilwuul.jpg
Zorbing balls. Lack of tourists meant we were offered to be offloaded of our b'fast for only 50rs per couple. Yay! But no thanks
Name:  445593678_Z8PqML.jpg
Views: 5429
Size:  164.8 KB
Some murga getting Zorbed
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445594578_yxznal.jpg
After that we walked around, and took a horse ride
View from the "other end"
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445595437_4tjjvl.jpg
The forest around the ground
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445600294_ptcwgl.jpg
Khajjiar, "the last choice"-445601244_intdyl.jpg

After lot of ambling around, it was time to hit the Kalatop FRH. So off we drove......

__CONT__
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 19:36   #19
BANNED

Re: Good morning... and good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... for 300rs was no fun, and jumping off the cliff was 2500rs,
Is this a parachute kind of thing being pulled along by a 4 wheeler? If so, what do you mean by "jumping off a cliff"? Can noobs do this, and what are the risks? How to identify competent / safe places and people who run this? Which place is better destination for paragliding, since I can see Bir Billing too being touted as a para gliding destination.
Also, is it possible to trek around the Khajjiar lake without a guide? I know this is a 10 year old trek and things would have changed a lot by now. Any other trek for 3 - 4 km in the woods / meadows?
I intend to stay at HPTDC, can't find an alternative.
How will be the roads in September? I'm flying into Gaggal on 8th, and flying out from Amritsar next Sunday.

So, where exactly is the Chamba Pathankot road closed? Will the McLeod Ganj - Khajjiar road be ok?
Old 20th August 2019, 22:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: Good morning... and good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Is this a parachute kind of thing being pulled along by a 4 wheeler? If so, what do you mean by "jumping off a cliff"? Can noobs do this, and what are the risks? How to identify competent / safe places and people who run this? Which place is better destination for paragliding, since I can see Bir Billing too being touted as a para gliding destination.
No 4 wheeler. You run of a cliff. Risks is parachute not opening and terminal velocity.

[quote[ Also, is it possible to trek around the Khajjiar lake without a guide? I know this is a 10 year old trek and things would have changed a lot by now. Any other trek for 3 - 4 km in the woods / meadows?
I intend to stay at HPTDC, can't find an alternative.
How will be the roads in September? I'm flying into Gaggal on 8th, and flying out from Amritsar next Sunday.

So, where exactly is the Chamba Pathankot road closed? Will the McLeod Ganj - Khajjiar road be ok?[/quote]

Yup, its been 10 years. No idea whats closed, open or changed now. But most treks are possible without a guide esp around touristy places.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:36   #21
BANNED

Re: Khajjiar, "the last choice"

Hi. Returned 10 days back. Had spent 2 nights at Khajjiar, and visited Kalatop on way to Dalhousie.

Had booked HPTDC's cottages, but the staff discouraged us, since it is approx 700m from parking spot and restaurant. Also, my family would fry me for making them walk that much for food. So settled for a family room with a view. The view, of course was scenic. The rooms at Hotel Devdar, (it is actually made from cedar wood) over look the puddle called Khajjiar lake. Except that grazing cows and dirty waters have made the lawns and waters "un- safe due to carpet bombs", it still looks beautiful from a distance. The trekking path round the lake too is well marked with horse dung. :-(
Now, for the brighter side.

Did para gliding. Near and around that Shiva statue. Here, they use an un powered glider. So, you depend on wind and skills of the guy pulling the strings to get around.
It cost 4 of us ₹ 2k each.

A horse ride down the trail passing close to that Star something resort set us back another ₹1k each. The horses were well fed, (compared to what you find in Ooty). and we did not feel like bargaining. The trail took us to a small apple ochard. Time spent here was 1 hour, and the horses waited. Total ride + ochard was close to 2 hours.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks