Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 00:41   #1

Bangalore - Goa Circular route

Hi,

Which is the best circular route from Bangalore to Goa. Yah, this is a new one - a method for a sales guy to unwind. This could be a long post but could end up being lot useful.

I am planning to travel to Goa on Friday and want to see as much of coastal Karnataka in my trip. Got ample time as I am planning to reach Goa only on Tuesday. I had been wanting to drive the coastal roads of the Konkan coast. Therefore I was planning to go from Bangalore to Mangalore via Shiradhi Ghats. Considering that I had gone all the way upto Uppinangadi in September '08 I was thinking seriously about it until i saw the recent post of the even more pathetic condition the road would be.

My second choice was Madikeri Sullya route. It was very interesting to see the suggestion to go through Charmadi Ghats contrary to earlier ones over the previous years on drive from Dharmasthala to chickmagalur and since the new posts say that the roads are in decent conditions I would love to try that so that I can avoid Mangalore and reach Udipi at the same time try a completely new route for me. I would mind driving 10% extra longer route if the road surface can be 35% better.

I am not familiar with Charmadi Ghats and which would be the best route. Frm eicher maps I could find that the below routes may be good. Can someone provide inputs for me and considering that I am travelling alone with my wife which would be the safest.
  1. Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa(SH-66) - Malleshvara - Karkala - Manipal - Udipi.
  2. Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi (NH 13) - Beltangadi - Kuvetu (NH 37)- Karkala - Manipal - Udipi.
  3. Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi (NH 13)- Beltangadi - Venur - Moodabidri - Karkala - Manipal - Udipi. ( I am concerned as Beltangadi - Venur - Moodabidri is not a state highway as per Google Maps)
On my return from Goa I was planning to look at route 1 below but I am seeing a lot of posts in which people take Goa - Ankola - Yellapur - Hubil. Is this the better alternative to the routes below
  1. Panaji - Londa - Dharward - Hubli-Davangere
  2. Panaji - Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli - Davangere
  3. Panaji - Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - Davangere
  4. Panaji - Honavar - Jog - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Tarikere - Kadur - Arsikere.
In addition to my interest in travel, I am also a foodie. So would love to get some suggestions on the signature/authentic restaurants for local cuisine in Udupi, Dharwad, Hubli, Davangere and Shimoga. Any Reliance A1 on the way?

Also would be nice to get some suggestions of stay in Udipi/Manipal/Malpe , Murudeshwar (is RNS the best) and Karwar.

Looking forward to your recommendations to have a great trip and am gng to definitely update you all after this trip.

Thanks.
Old 8th January 2009, 03:06   #2
BHPian

MODS Please move this thread to Route/Travel Queries.

Ajay, Welcome to TBHP.
There are plenty of threads about Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore in the Route/Travel Queries section.

You can refer to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-8.html

I am planning a similar trip during the first week of FEB. The route I have chalked out will cover most of Coastal Karnataka (Minus Mangalore) and Goa. I am awaiting road condition updates from other TBHPians. I will be doing a 9 day road trip and the following will be the route from Bangalore to Goa and back. It also contains a few places I intend to visit on the way.

Day – 1
Route and Distance: Bangalore - 240kms - Chikmagalur - 95kms - Sringeri - 25kms - Agumbe - 55kms - Udupi
Places to Visit:
Sri Sringeri Sharada Peetham (0 kms) and Vidyasankara Temple (0 kms) at Sringeri
View Point (0 kms) at Agumbe
Malpe Harbor (6kms) and Malpe Beach (6 kms) at Udupi
Stay at Udupi

Day – 2
Route and Distance: Udupi - 36kms – Kundapura - 65kms - Murudeshwar
Places to Visit:
St. Mary's Island (7 kms), Milagres Church (7 kms) and Sri Krishna Temple (0 kms) at Udupi
Maravanthe Beach (15 kms), Kollur Mookambika Temple (35 kms) and Byndoor Beach (8kms) at Kundapura
Ksitija Nesara Dhama (Sunset Spot) (2kms) from Shiroor
Stay at Murudeshwar

Day – 3
Route and Distance: Murudeshwar – 35kms - Honnavar - 50kms - Gokarna
Places to Visit:
Shiva Temple (1 kms), Shiva Statue (1kms) and Murudeshwar Beach (1kms) at Murudeshwar
Idagunji Temple (15 kms) at Honnavar
Kudle Beach (4kms), Mahabaleshvara Temple (0 kms) and Om Beach (6kms) at Gokarna
Stay at Gokarna

Day – 4
Route and Distance: Gokarna - 56kms – Karwar - 105kms - Panaji
Places to Visit:
Half-Moon Beach (8kms) and Paradise Beach (9kms) by boat at Gokarna
Rabindranath Tagore Beach (1kms) and Warship Museum (1kms) at Karwar
Palolem Beach (50kms) from KA-GA border in Goa
Baga Beach (16kms), Anjuna Beach Flea Market (18kms) from Panaji
Stay at Panaji

Day – 5
Places to Visit:
GOA
Stay at Panaji

Day – 6
Places to Visit:
GOA
Stay at Panaji

Day – 7
Places to Visit:
GOA
Stay at Panaji

Day – 8
Places to Visit:
GOA
Stay at Panaji

Day – 9
Route and Distance: Panaji – 60kms – Sawantvadi – 95kms – Belgaum – 70kms - Dharwad – 21kms – Hubli – 72kms – Haveri – 40kms - Ranebennur – 25kms -Harihar – 15kms - Davangere – 55kms - Chitradurga – 40kms - Hiriyur - 40kms – Sira – 50kms - Tumkur – 75kms – Bangalore

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 8th January 2009 at 03:09.
Old 8th January 2009, 03:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard,Ajay!
Sounds like a plan!The roads on the Konkan coast are quite good,and there are some scenic spots that one must stop at.Good food is assured all throught!Once you get close to Goa,you will find a lot of hole-in-the-wall places that serve yummy seafood.
Drive safe,and do click away!
Old 8th January 2009, 11:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi
Please see my reply in BOLD letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaycherian View Post
Can someone provide inputs for me and considering that I am travelling alone with my wife which would be the safest.
  1. Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa(SH-66) - Malleshvara - Karkala - Manipal - Udipi.
Very Narrow roads from mudigere(Kottigehara) to Kudremukha(malleswara), But it will be a bit longer route
  1. Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi (NH 13) - Beltangadi - Kuvetu (NH 37)- Karkala - Manipal - Udipi.
Take this route. But in charmadi ghat some stretches have been very narrow due to landslide & repair works. Rest of the road is doable in any car
  1. Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi (NH 13)- Beltangadi - Venur - Moodabidri - Karkala - Manipal - Udipi. ( I am concerned as Beltangadi - Venur - Moodabidri is not a state highway as per Google Maps)
This road is also equally good

In addition to my interest in travel, I am also a foodie. So would love to get some suggestions on the signature/authentic restaurants for local cuisine in Udupi, Dharwad, Hubli, Davangere and Shimoga. Any Reliance A1 on the way?

In Shimoga, Best is HOTEL JEWEL ROCK ( Kanishka)

Also would be nice to get some suggestions of stay in Udipi/Manipal/Malpe , Murudeshwar (is RNS the best) and Karwar.

Murudeshwar RNS Residency
Devbagh Beach resort ( jungle lodge) in Karwar

Looking forward to your recommendations to have a great trip and am gng to definitely update you all after this trip.

Thanks.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why not go via Wayanad, and then drive up the coast. You can see the Bekal on the way ( fort ), some beach resorts too which were coming up there... drive upto mangalore from Bekal is about 100kms if i remember correctly.

Not sure of the distance between Wayanad and Bekal.

coming back cut across KA, via Belgaum.

cheers!

Most Viewed