Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 14:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes tubeless is what coming next but that at 25k km it would still be early change, looking to change before the Ladakh trip. Also, very low on extra cash after all the travel and EMIs.
It is nothing to do with the early change Anir, it is the way the vehicle and the tyres have taken the brunt in those forest where they created your own roads.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2009, 15:11   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent as usual. And with the information you have shared I am sure others who can go to that area would start planning now. As you said a good and dependable SUV is a asset for such forays.

I remember about 30 years back doing similar night drives in the forests of Rajasthan and one invaluable piece of equipment that can make animal spotting even more enjoyable is a hand held spot light with "lighter" plug in.

Chances are high that the leopard after crossing the road would have crouched by the side and with a spot light would have been visible. This is typical behavior and knowing it helped me view animal as close as ten feet from the car window crouching and looking back at me.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2009, 09:51   #63
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I remember about 30 years back doing similar night drives in the forests of Rajasthan and one invaluable piece of equipment that can make animal spotting even more enjoyable is a hand held spot light with "lighter" plug in.

Chances are high that the leopard after crossing the road would have crouched by the side and with a spot light would have been visible. This is typical behavior and knowing it helped me view animal as close as ten feet from the car window crouching and looking back at me.
You have described the situation perfectly. We could feel the bear was just about nearby but since the moment it was not in the straight line of light of the headlights we could not make it out and the torchlight just cant pierce the pitch darkness.

Next time, if it involves a night forest journey, that kind of a spotlight is most needed

Last edited by adc : 16th January 2009 at 10:06.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:37   #64
Axe

ADC, that was amazing. Hats off to your sense of adventure. So you managed all these jungle tracks with 2wd? Did you feel the need for a 4wd at any point?

Axe
Axe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 15:25   #65
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
ADC, that was amazing. Hats off to your sense of adventure. So you managed all these jungle tracks with 2wd? Did you feel the need for a 4wd at any point?

Axe

Hey thanks, glad that you liked it.

With my 2wd sure I did face a couple of situations which were quite tricky, particularly where one of the front tyres were hanging over a pit without traction and the opposite rear on loose gravel and the other being a steep angled incline - was just about to stall when the VTT made up to the top. This unexplored jungle [Sunabeda] is a OTR paradise, the paths/roads are just being made by forest department.

Whatever, there's no substitute for a 4wd, no amount of driving prowess or torque can replace that. Sooner or later I am gonna be stuck royally if I continue to do what I have been doing with a 2wd, luck has been with me quite a few times for the past 1.3 years.
Old 18th March 2012, 22:38   #66
BHPian

Re: Safari Dicor LX VTT-TMT Xtreme Travel - Orissa's Unkown Forests: Debrigarh & Suna

i have been to sunabeda twice.. in 2010.. and i never know this thread and about the forest! One of my relatives was transferred for 4 years in Sunabeda starting 2006. I have seen bears in the town though! If i get a chance to go to sunabeda again, will definately do the forests! Really amazing thread though!
LP640 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed