Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 05:42   #16
BHPian

Well even i benefited from the trucker's strike. i had never seen the GQ so empty, although passing electronics city still remains a pain !

I started off from Tumkur at 11am on the 7th morning and reached chennai by 5pm (it was a non stop run all the way, not even a pee break or b*tt break) , and it was 446kms one way on my bike, my route was tumkur - bangalore ( i got lost at the ring road thanks to a stupid diversion) - hosur - krishnagiri-vaniambadi-vellore-chennai (the approach to chennai from koyembadu roundabout was hell)

so it wasn't a bad run at all ! considering the fuel crisis I had tanked up in tumkur itself a day back and it lasted me till chennai and (managed an average fuel efficiency of 46kmpl) then on the way back I tanked up just on the outskirts of vellore.

this is one of the 2 pics i had taken when i had stopped on the return once, due the constant 100+ speeds the vibrations somehow dislodged the nut of the horn and it fell off hence this pic
Bangalore-Chennai : Driving time 3hrs:45mts-08012009003.jpg
Old 14th January 2009, 13:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Opps looks like everybody was on drivng spree during last weekend during couple of strikes.

@ram: That was a good timing & good FE.

@Xeno: That was a good FE you hve got. Was it raining while you travelled? Isn't it risky to travel @100+ kmph in a bike in slippery conditions. Now, don't tell me that there was a will of doing it...
Old 14th January 2009, 22:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post

I doubt whether one can do those kind of times nowadays unless we have a truckers strike or we are generally insane
Absolutely, NH4 between Bangalore and Madras was regular weekend commute for me about 9 years back, and the day after when kannada actor Rajkumar was kidnapped by forest brigand Veerappan, I had to leave Bangalore at 4am and reached Poes Garden at 8:20am in my TN regd Fiat Uno. That was my absolute best.

But I don't think i'll ever match my dad's average of 4h30mins from Alwarpet to Sheshadripuram over his hundreds of trips to his in-laws from the 70s till late 90s.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Opps looks like everybody was on drivng spree during last weekend during couple of strikes.

@Xeno: That was a good FE you hve got. Was it raining while you travelled? Isn't it risky to travel @100+ kmph in a bike in slippery conditions. Now, don't tell me that there was a will of doing it...
Hehe yeah , i've never seen the GQ this empty !

yes it would be damn risky if I had no protective gear and had the stock tyres the bike comes with (MRF Zapper FS at front and Zapper Y at rear) the stock tyres are bad in grip and are meant to last well over 40k kms.

Well my tyres are IRC (both front and rear, these are made in Thailand) , these tyres are really really good. The confidence they inspire is great. The braking is spot on even in these drizziling conditions (which by far could be the worst conditions one can ask for) these tyres have done 10k already and will wear out in another 10k for sure. the soft compound really sticks and performs better at high speeds.

I was leaning at the corners at 90-100's even. not even a slight feeling of being getting out of control. and the cbz-x is one helluva performer too

I normally wear full gear while riding on the highways. Doesnt hurt to be on the safer side ! (Helmet, Riding jacket, Gloves, Riding pants, Kneeguards, Touring boots)
Bangalore-Chennai : Driving time 3hrs:45mts-protection.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks