Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 09:24   #76
BHPian

Re: Ancient Homes of India

Hi Samurai,

I have been wanting to visit the "Guddada Bhoota" house for a long time now. Thanks for the pics. If I go to Vaddarse, will I be guided there? Can people walk in to see the house? Can we stay there for a day, ofcourse by paying some rental?

Can you help with these questions? I plan to visit this month.

Warm Regards
Anoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After this we visited the another house in a village called Vaddarse. This house was famous in the 80s as it played the haunted house in the Doordarshan Kannada serial Guddada Boota. The serial unveiled an unknown actor called Prakash Rai, who later become a Tamil Super star. I didn't have much trouble arranging access to this house since it happens to be my first cousin's ancestral home. This house was built in 1880.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2018 at 10:14.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:07   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachanoop View Post
If I go to Vaddarse, will I be guided there? Can people walk in to see the house? Can we stay there for a day, ofcourse by paying some rental?
This is a private home, not a homestay either. Nobody lives there, although it is maintained well. Unless you know the owners, you can't visit the place.

But now there a much better alternative though. The famous Hasta Shilpa Village in Manipal is finally open to public. They have 3 tours a day. Last month my wife took a guided tour with her friends, and was very impressed.

http://indiaheritagevillage.org/Ongo...d%20Tours.html

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2018 at 10:12.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 14:32   #78
BHPian

Thanks very much! This is very interesting

Cheers
Anoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But now there a much better alternative though. The famous Hasta Shilpa Village in Manipal is finally open to public. They have 3 tours a day. Last month my wife took a guided tour with her friends, and was very impressed.

http://indiaheritagevillage.org/Ongo...d%20Tours.html
Old 26th December 2021, 09:01   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Hasta Shilpa at Manipal is a gem!

Was driving back to Bangalore over the weekend and stopped over for a few hours at Manipal. Had been meaning to visit Hasta Shilpa and finally did. Was amazed by the place!

About 18-20 structures, each a beautiful recreation of a heritage structure. Great examples of the types of traditional architecture in the region. Wonderful attention to detail, authentic furniture and household items, traditional music in the background, great lighting. Totally worth the Rs.300 entry.

If this sort of thing interests you, can easily spend a couple of hours or more here. One of the structures was a recreation of a Kerala traditional home from a particular region and I was literally getting flashbacks of my grandmother's place as I remembered it from my visits as a child, as I walked through this structure.

The creators/curators really know what they are doing. One place I wish I had a person to guide us through (usually don't prefer a guide as most of them at historic sites talk nonsense- "Black Taj Mahal", etc.) Because of covid I think they were short-staffed, so we had to download a PDF that gives some information, but a whole lot more can be done.

Totally worth a visit, even a detour if traditional South Canara heritage, esp architecture interests you.

Last edited by am1m : 26th December 2021 at 09:02.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 11:28   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachanoop View Post
If I go to Vaddarse, will I be guided there? Can people walk in to see the house?
Now that the thread has been bumped, it reminded me that the most famous grandson of this house is no more.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th December 2021 at 11:30.
Old 26th December 2021, 14:56   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Hasta Shilpa at Manipal is a gem!

Was driving back to Bangalore over the weekend and stopped over for a few hours at Manipal. Had been meaning to visit Hasta Shilpa and finally did. Was amazed by the place!

About 18-20 structures, each a beautiful recreation of a heritage structure. ... ... ...
In this part of the world we have Dakshinachitra. Hasta Shilpa sounds much bigger, but Dakshinachitra is still well worth a visit. It is one place that I never tire of revisiting if I am taking tourist friends around. It's usually a stop on the way from Chennai to Mahabalipuram, but the last time I took friends there, they happily spent the rest of the afternoon not getting any further!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks