Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 13:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon

Prologue:

This thread has its origin here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...er-2008-a.html

Pankaj Sachdeva (pankaj_sachdeva) was getting married on 7th December at Chandigarh at Hotel Parkview Sector – 24, Chandigarh at 11:00 AM and had very graciously invited me with family.

Since my daughter had not seen this beautiful organised city, I jumped at this opportunity (truth being the Brahminical gene ran amok at the thought of booze and gourmet) and decided to go with family.

I will fail in my duty if I don't mention Sukhpal Kharbanda (married2speed) who was of great help in negotiating Chandigarh as he claimed to be a former resident of that place. Of course it goes with out saying that when I asked him the general location of the Hotel Parkview in Sector-24, Sukhpal very confidently said that no hotel exists in that sector as it is a cremation ground... To give credit to him, he later found out and reverted that indeed such a hotel exists in that sector and gave me a general layout.

There are no photographs enroute as I'm the photgrapher (am a big MCP and would'nt let anyone touch the camera) and the driver. All photographs are taken when not driving.

The Trip

On the night of 6th Dec it was decreed that we would leave latest by 6 am so as to beat the delhi traffic and also the mayhem till Sonepat. Luckily we left on time. There was a fair amount of fog but the visibility was quite adequate and the traffic sparse. We made good speed but kept it under 90kmph as Haryana traffic cop is reputed to spring a surprise when you expect the least. Crossing Karnal we stopped at the midpoint complex (don't remember the name) and had a semblance of breakfast and refreshed.

The drive was uneventful and we reached Chandigarh by just about 11 am. Keeping the infamous IST in mind and knowing that the ceremonies generally do not start on dot, we decided to visit the famous Rock Garden and then attend the wedding. Reached the garden, bought our tickets and were in. Now I shall let the pictures to do the talking.

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-entrance.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-inscription.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-nekchandshut.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-art.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-birdhut.jpg

My son - Anshumali

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-anshu.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-anshu1.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-anshu2.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-brokenpieces.jpg

Anshu caught in the cobweb..

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-anshu3.jpg

Photographs continued.......

Last edited by gd1418 : 13th January 2009 at 13:44.
Old 13th January 2009, 13:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

GD sahab... photographs do looks good Keep them coming..

Hotel park view is there in Sec24 only
Old 13th January 2009, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

More photos

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-anshu5.jpg

My daughter - Gauri

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-gauri.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-bangles.jpg

The family

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-anshugaurishanno.jpg

Wine opener

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-corkscrew.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-figurines.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-gauri3.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-gaurianshu.jpg

HMV

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-gdgauri.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-potbelly.jpg

Contd......
Old 13th January 2009, 14:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

More......

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-pots.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-gaurionsteps.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-hook.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-knotty.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-perfectfit.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-pottedboundary.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-pottedboundary1.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-steps.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-stonecurtain.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-structures.jpg

Contd.......
Old 13th January 2009, 14:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Wow! Was there a movie shoot in progress as well
Old 13th January 2009, 14:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

More......

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-well.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-tree.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-narrowpath.jpg

Rock garden has a couple of very beautiful man-made waterfalls.

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-gaurianshuwaterfall.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-waterfall.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-waterfall1.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-waterfall2.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-waterfall3.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-waterfall4.jpg

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-waterfall5.jpg

Contd.........
Old 13th January 2009, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Ashish. How was I to know the location of the Hotel? Had to believe Sukhpal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
GD sahab... photographs do looks good Keep them coming..

Hotel park view is there in Sec24 only
Dada, did you actually think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Wow! Was there a movie shoot in progress as well
Old 13th January 2009, 14:36   #8
BHPian

Guruji! Having such a LARGE potbelly at your age is risky. Ek taang kabar mein hai, aur itna motapa! Ghor Kalyug!!
Old 13th January 2009, 14:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Dada, did you actually think so?
Definitely! The only thing missing in that picture was a holster & a revolver - the cowboy hat was in place already

Keep the wonderful pics flowing. When is the Jaisalmer one coming up?
Old 13th January 2009, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wedding & Sukhna Lake

Chandigarh, apart from being famous for a well-planned and laid-out city also boasts of two man-made things - The Rock Garden & the Sukhna Lake. They both are about 2 kms apart on the same road. Calling it a lake is misnomer; like Lake Michigan it is huge except that there are no waves. It also has a bridge built across and you can't see shore-to-shore.

Coming back to the story, the rock garden was coming to an end and after waterfalls the path lead to an open ground that crowded and was like a fair. Swings, sweet-meat sellers, soveignier sellers etc. Kids were not interested, feet were aching with all that walking and climbing stairs up and down and the tummy was growling. We were there for almost 1-1/2 hrs. Now was the time to proceed to the wedding party. In about 15 mins we reached the hotel, freshened ourselves in the washroom and proceeded to the venue. There was "chela" with his better-half by his side on the dias and had a funny ear-to-ear grin plastered across his face. Seemed very happy and on top of the world. I glanced at my wife of 23 years and shook my head sadly sideways. Wanted to tell him - Son, you dunno what you are getting into and there nothing to be elated about. Didn't have the heart to say this.

We all went up on the dias to greet the happy couple and after congratulating and blessing them handed over a small token of our love to them that we had carried from Gurgaon. I hope they have liked it and found useful too.

We came down and sat with other guests. With the corner of my eye I spied Pankaj talking to one elderly gent and pointing towards us. He turned out to be his father who greeted us and ensured that we were comfortable. The drinks and snacks were served and were in good supply and after a while the lunch was served. We all had our lunch and washed it down with some very crispy delicious 'jalebis' with rabari. I'm sure my sugar levels would've gone for a six...

After exchanging pleasantries we took leave from Pankaj & his wife and then proceeded towards Sukhna Lake. It was 3 pm and we wanted to head back by 5 pm. Sukhna was crowded since it was Sunday and there was a huge que for buying tickets for boating. We deferred that and generally admired the surroundings.

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-sukhnalake.jpg

The lake has an abundance of ducks of myriad types. People feeding them dirty the surroundings with strewn plastic wrappers of various eatables. Lays, Bingos, peanuts and many other things are fed to the ducks. When are we going to learn....

Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon-ducks.jpg

Prologue

After Sukhna it was time to leave. As soon as the Scorpio was eased out of the parking, I discovered that one end of the road was closed as it was 5 pm. I found that it is closed everyday at the same time. The reason, known to Administration. So had to take the same way back out of the city. This closing of road, I feel is by design - a pact between the housewives, the shopkeepers of Sector 17 and the Administration. You've to go past Sector-17 which is best known market of C'garh.

And before I could even fathom, the Scorpio was safely ensconed in the market's parking slot. So, after about an hour of roaming around and pocket lightened by 5K we returned. But wait, the saga doesn't end here. Like a jilted lover, who on a rebound goes and marries his/her neighbour who initially never was in the crosshairs, I walked into the Woodlands showroom and spent 2.5K to shod my feet.. Did somebody say that Woodlands have a bigger and better showroom in Delhi/NCR? Well, I didn't hear.

Finally, we left Chandigarh at 6 pm. The fog was settling in and was getting denser. Apart from this the drive again was uneventful. We again stopped at that karnal midpoint, refreshed and reached GGN at midnight after being stuck for more than an hour at Delhi's entrypoint....When is this traffic mess going to improve?
Old 13th January 2009, 15:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

That large potbelly is the camera angle. Ek taang to samajh mein aayi; doosri kahan hai? Sumo wrestlers ka pet dekha hai? Panja ladaoge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Guruji! Having such a LARGE potbelly at your age is risky. Ek taang kabar mein hai, aur itna motapa! Ghor Kalyug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Definitely! The only thing missing in that picture was a holster & a revolver - the cowboy hat was in place already

Keep the wonderful pics flowing. When is the Jaisalmer one coming up?
I, now, only need to get the holster & a six-shooter and breeches. John Wayne, here I come.. The Jaisalmer is under process...and then Agra shall follow.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics and log GD saab. BTW I am in chandigarh today. Drove in on sunday, took just 3.5 hrs from Gurgaon to Chandigarh. reached at 11:00, checked into taj. and had nothing to do. So went for long drive, kept driving towards Solan and reached Kandaghat-Chail stetch.

BTW Chandigarh is losing it concept of all cirlcs and not traffic lights very fast. Every time I come here, I see more circles gettting traffic light, and no more free flow traffic.

Sector 35's market is my favorite
Old 13th January 2009, 19:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Rajiv. Do we get to see a travelogue of your adventures with photographs?

Maybe Chandigarh is also plagued by the same problem world over - increasing human and traffic populace..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Beautiful pics and log GD saab. BTW I am in chandigarh today. Drove in on sunday, took just 3.5 hrs from Gurgaon to Chandigarh. reached at 11:00, checked into taj. and had nothing to do. So went for long drive, kept driving towards Solan and reached Kandaghat-Chail stetch.

BTW Chandigarh is losing it concept of all cirlcs and not traffic lights very fast. Every time I come here, I see more circles gettting traffic light, and no more free flow traffic.

Sector 35's market is my favorite
Old 13th January 2009, 20:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thats a lot of pix. Your portrait with pots is nice
Old 13th January 2009, 20:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics sir

after looking at the pics i remember last time i went to rock garden was 12+ years back

Most Viewed