Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2009, 19:10   #1
BHPian

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]

Did a Kanha Jungle trip on weekend, started from Nagpur at 3.30 PM and reached Kahna Jungle[Krishna Jugle Resort] at 8 PM, the total distance from home to resort was 277 kms, the road after seoni towards Mandla is being repaired, but they are in worst condition, this patch is exactly 60 Kms which starts just after 10 kms from Seoni, but the Jungle safari was worth the trouble was able to sight 2 tigers in 2 ride in Jungle, been to this Jungle 3rd time and am lucky enough to sight the big cat every time, this time it was as close as 15 meter, crossing the jungle road, great sight, second one was resting..
These cats are now so habitual of human and vehicle in the jungle that they don't even care about presence of all the vehicle and people so close.
The only time the guide advice not to be close is when they have made any kill and eating, thats when they are very aggresive and believe every one to be trying to steal there food.

Was a good weekend, spending near about 7 hours in huge Jungle environment, was able to see peacock dancing in full glory, this was first time I saw a peacock dancing.

I have all these captured in video mode, am uplaoding images from video frame manupulated on PC.

Enjoy the Tiger images, will process the other images and upload later.

This is the first time atleast I was able to spot the tiger in the bush and then it crossed the road, else its alway like roaming in the open or near a kill that most of the people sight the tiger

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00011.jpg

See step by step movement till it vanishes agin in the bush

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00021.jpg

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00031.jpg

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00041.jpg

On the road and crossing the road

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00051.jpg

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00061.jpg

going to bush

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_23-pm_00071.jpg

dancing peacock, I was not able to process good image, I have lot of processing to do, will do it later, till then enjoy this

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-1_25_2009-4_39-pm_00041.jpg

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 26th January 2009 at 19:21.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Woa.
Congrats.
I've seen a tiger from as close as 5-10m.
Damn it sure is an experience.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow...this is sure gonna be rocking. Never saw a tiger so close in any of the national parks (except in zoo). Waiting for Peacock's pics also.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Woa.
Congrats.
I've seen a tiger from as close as 5-10m.
Damn it sure is an experience.
Yes, this was as close as 10m I guess, we were all breathless, just 2 gypsy side by side, all waiting for the tiger to cross the road without charging anywhere else .

-Pramod
Old 26th January 2009, 22:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pramod on the great sighting. Was it a pregnant tigress? To my untrained eyes it looks like one. Did the guide mention anything?
Old 27th January 2009, 08:43   #6
BHPian

hi pramod...

would be greatful if you could give road map/route you followed from nagpur to kanha. Plan to take this trip in summer from mumbai.
Old 27th January 2009, 08:49   #7
BHPian

No, but but yes this is a tigress, I saw another one that was tiger but its was not captured in cam properly, as we were about to exit the Jungle and I packed back my cam. when I saw the tiger and started the cam, by that time tiger was in no mood to give any good pose, it sat down and was difficult to get sight, I will try to upload that image later today evening.

I was also able to sight, wild boar, bison and some other birds, with usual spotted dear, sambar and the barasingha that are only in Kanha, no where else in India !

-Pramod
Old 27th January 2009, 10:16   #8
BHPian

More Updates please

Promod, could you please update us with details in distance, roads, places to stay, forest approval required, and other things.

I would be interesting if you post a complete travelogue with more pics.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

From my very limited experience in jungles I have come to realise that even if you don't get to see a tiger a trip to the jungles is really worth all the trouble, money and risks. But if you do get to see a tiger it's a bonus.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your sighting , its good while it lasts , we never know for how much more long these creatures will be there for us to view in the wild given the rate at which poachers are getting to these creatures.

I still remember my first tiger sighting and there is nothing that can equal the feeling
Old 27th January 2009, 10:52   #11
BHPian

Yeah, very true , being in Nagpur is other advantage, we have 5 Jungles nearby, Melghat, Pench, Navegoan, Tadobha and Kanha.. been to all these except Melghat, planning to go there soon.

-Pramod
Old 27th January 2009, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great sight of tigers. On my visit to Kanha national park in 2001 May, We spotted 4 - 5 tigers in jungle. Unfortunately not this way. We hired Gypsy to go into jungle but from Gypsy we spotted only one leopard on tree top and peacocks, bison, boar, deers etc. To spot tiger Jungle people took us (four in a group) on Elephant back to some 100 meters beside road.

Tigers were resting over there and they hardly care elephant standing besides them. We spotted tigers as close as possible. We were fearing if tigers jump we were in their range. But our Mahout assured us elephant and tiger do not disturb each other in Jungle. Unfortunately that time I had camera with roll and my roll just exhausted and I could not able to click pictures. It was very nice and exhilarating experience.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:18   #13
BHPian

Road Map from Nagpur to Kanha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
hi pramod...

would be greatful if you could give road map/route you followed from nagpur to kanha. Plan to take this trip in summer from mumbai.
Nagpur to Seoni 130 KMS on National Highway NH 7, road condition is quite good and you crosses the Pench National park on both side of the road after Mansar.

Nagpur - Kamptee- and Kanhan - 20 KMS, but take most of the time to cross, as Nagpur city is almost till Kanhan, once you cross this point then you feel like on NH, and after Mansar it all pure Natura, you go through Pench national park on both side of the road
Nagpur - Mansar - 40 Kms
Nagpur - Seoni - 130 KMS

From Seoni, you need to take route for Mandla
Seoni - Nainpur - Chiradongri on Mandla route which is state highway and th road condition are worst for 60 kms after 10 KMS from seoni, the road condition after Chiradongri till Kanha is very good.

You have to change take a left from Chiradongri to reach Kanha. which is 30 Kms from Chiradongri.

Seoni - Kanha approax 140 kms

total Nagpur- Kanha ~270 KMS

-Pramod
Old 1st February 2009, 19:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread with the National Animal sighted. Pramod can a Swift DZire comfortably traverse the Seoni-Kanha stretch?
Old 1st February 2009, 21:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

In my visits to tiger reserves, I've yet to see Stripes in its natural environs. One day I shall be lucky....

While Pramod will upload a better picture of the National Bird in full glory, here are a couple that I took in Sariska in Aug '08. Hope you all shall like them:

The Shakira Butt dance

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-peacockdncng.jpg

The full Plume

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-peacockdncng1.jpg

Impressario

Kanha Jungle Safari- [Lucky this time]-peacockpeahen.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Wow...this is sure gonna be rocking. Never saw a tiger so close in any of the national parks (except in zoo). Waiting for Peacock's pics also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks