Old 31st January 2009, 11:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Ben: Nope. No chattering, but plastic rattling within the car
Old 31st January 2009, 13:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No chattering, but plastic rattling within the car
Don't worry much about it! It'll take you wherever you want to go, with a 'song' on its lips! That is the tried & tested Maruti way!
Old 31st January 2009, 21:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yes, enjoyed thoroughly! Gimme Red!
I see a lot of colour co-ordination on this lovely trip: red car, red mobike, red pants, red jacket, all good red things!
Old 31st January 2009, 23:36   #49
BHPian

really enticing pics. tempting me to change my base from Bangalore to Delhi
Old 1st February 2009, 06:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

@Anup ji - The color is mere coincidence

@Arindam - Seriously, how about 3% road tax?
Old 1st February 2009, 09:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Phamilyman - The pic of the day should be made pic of this thread Nice one there...

Man, you had a deadly travel. Great.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Actually winter up here is my favorite time. Electricity from hydro-electric projects is relatively cheap and I have sizeable heaters and a LPG backup. I am about to build quarters with a fireplace as well.

The weather here can be freaky but there are forecasts on the web. You may get lucky and see something like this little valley outside Palampur.
Have you tried sourcing the components for home central heating, heating pump and copper pipe plumbing, will act as a continuous supply of hot water during the winters too . I guess it will be difficult since most still use wood or kerosene heaters.
Old 2nd February 2009, 06:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Have you tried sourcing the components for home central heating, heating pump and copper pipe plumbing, will act as a continuous supply of hot water during the winters too . I guess it will be difficult since most still use wood or kerosene heaters.
Electricity still seems like the simple choice up here, e.g. electric space heaters. I will look into heat pumps and passive solar. I have seen DIY solar water heaters atop some homes here and people have told me they work well. I could just see the blank looks of astonishment if I started talking central heating to builders up here.

Phamilyman, those pics are well done!
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

@Dan: Thanks.

Yeah, oil based space heaters are cool enough. central heating in those regions - now that'll be interesting

Keep us posted
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:52   #55

A few pics from my end:

The happy phamilyman
Attached Thumbnails
Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-dsc09791.jpg  

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-dsc09643.jpg  

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-dsc09428.jpg  

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-dsc09429.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2009, 08:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I could just see the blank looks of astonishment if I started talking central heating to builders up here.
That does seem a bit surprising. Some of the old cottages built in areas where there were natural hot springs available did have central heating, a la British style!
Almost all such original systems have been allowed to fall into disuse and stand dismantled/discarded today!

DD, an extraordinary business opportunity lies therein!
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

oye Dijje, ALL of those have been posted

PS: Welcome!!
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics (redux), all from DJ wonlee:Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-4-solang-snow-3.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-4-solang-snow-2.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-4-solang-snow.jpg

Name:  4 Solang.JPG
Views: 2357
Size:  34.7 KB

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-5-route-2.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-5-route.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-dhaba-anyone.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-dj-relaxing.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-jalori-other-side.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-snow.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-salaa-poser.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-slicks.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-6-warning.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-25-parashar-route.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-26-testing-surface.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-bikers-rule.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-jalori-route-2.jpg

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-jalori-route.jpg

Name:  Serolsar trek route.JPG
Views: 1901
Size:  135.0 KB

Icy trip to Solang valley, Parashar lake and frozen Serolsar Lake-whatay-cow.jpg
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures. Sereleusar brought back painful memories of our last camping trip there. I still shudder looking at the picture of that pathway to sereleusar when we had to carry all our remaining belongings tied with a loose string and strung over our shoulders. I'll write about that experience soon here. It was surreal our tent and rucksacks caught fire when it was raining cats and dogs and we had had a horrid time lighting the fire for tea and food..all because we had certain prohibited articles in our bag. We barely escaped with our lives that night.
Parashar lake used to be beautiful once upon a time but today looks nothing of its original splendour.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
It was surreal our tent and rucksacks caught fire when it was raining cats and dogs and we had had a horrid time lighting the fire for tea and food..all because we had certain prohibited articles in our bag. We barely escaped with our lives that night.
Parashar lake used to be beautiful once upon a time but today looks nothing of its original splendour.
Wow! I'd be eagerly waiting for this log from you, Wanderer!
IIRC you're a Himachali, right?
So ... about Serolsar, what has brought about the change in recent times? The place still hardly has any tourist traffic worth talking about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks