Old 3rd April 2009, 04:18   #16
BHPian

Thanks Sudipto

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Sudipto: I heard you can book it from DVC tower in Ultadanga.
Arindam - that's Maithon's Majumdar Niwas which you can book from DVC Tower. DVC has nothing to do with Massanjore. It's the irrigation department. Incidentally, the DVC Tower gentleman who picks up the phone when you dial the relevant number is an absolutely uncouth guy. We had a very unpleasant experience dealing with him once.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sudipto Da, After reading your posts, you made me nostalgic today. My home is there in Giridih and we go there once in a year. But childhood memories down the line simply unforgettable.

There are many sprawling bunglows still present in Deoghar and Giridh of Independence era (mostly built by Kolkata residents as their summer home). Built and finish of those bunglows are simply fantastic. Infact when my father purchased land in Giridih similar type of bunglow was there in our land and later we demolished and built our own house some 30 years back.

I generally pay visit to Deoghar as many of our relatives are there. I just hope from government to keep these much historical places atleast neat and clean.

For member who unaware of things, Sprawling Buglow of eminent Indian Scientist Sir J. C. Bose (Jagadish Chandra Bose) still there in Giridih. Now government taken over and converted it as museum cum library. He is the actual inventor of Radio not Marcony.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Anuj
Thanks that you liked the post. I knew you would. But I regret I didn't take too many photographs of the town. My grandfather built the house in the 40s. It's still there. Whoever bought it has kept it. But he cleared the orchard and chopped off all the 50-year-old fruit bearing trees !!
Sudipto
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:12   #20
BHPian

Good place.been there in april 2 yrs back. brought back lots of pedas !!
Old 15th October 2014, 09:48   #21
BHPian

Re: Deoghar down memory lane

Friends,
Reviving an old thread because I visited Giridih, Madhupur and Deoghar recently. These areas are really wonderful. Here are few photos I wish to show you.

The roads were beautiful and nicely maintained. This is Govindpur (Jharkhand)-Giridih road.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0006.jpg

Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0008.jpg

While driving towards Giridih, you have to cross Usri river. To have a view of the Usri waterfall you have to take the narrow road immediately after crossing the river. Though the road is slightly broken, it is OK even for small vehicles.

A view of the waterfall.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0019.jpg

Please allow me to show a picture of my car at the background of the falls.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0021.jpg

This is where I stayed at Giridih. Though their foods deserved some improvement, it is located right on the main road and had provisions for parking of two or three cars.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0024.jpg

The road to Khandoli lake, located seven or eight KM away from Giridih.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0030.jpg

Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0033.jpg

Boating facilities were available at the lake, though I did not join.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0037.jpg

Honestly speaking, the nearby park was also nicely maintained.
Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0036.jpg

Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0038.jpg

Deoghar down memory lane-dsc_0039.jpg

Thanks for watching these pictures. Feel free if these pictures are found irrelevant with the previous postings on this thread.
Warm regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.
rahul4640 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 11:51   #22
BHPian

Re: Deoghar down memory lane

Deoghar also has(d) one mansion of Shri Aurobindo Ghosh and before he turned to spirituality. He used practice, I am told, throwing bombs in jungles on nearby Digaria hills. Though I don't know where it is. Once I tried locating it but failed. Instead it led me to a nearby village, Goradih where 3 'sepoys' were hung to death by the British perhaps during 1857 revolt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks