Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 13:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
I am planning to cover Delhi to Kolkata in my RD350 during Novend - Dec starting. What will be the weather condition then? Considering I will be riding a bike - will it be a problem to cover 300-350km/day.

Please let me know - except fog - which is the best and safe time I will get during this period.

Weather conditon during the period of end-Nov to 1st week Dec is usually perfect - no fog or rains. Fog/rain may be a problem from late 2nd week of Dec.

Presuming you restrict your top speed to 80km/h and ride for a period of 12 hours (6am to 6pm) with breaks, you should be able to average about 50km/h, and be able to cover about 500-600 km each day. Push a little harder, and you can make the 680km from CCU to Benaras by 7 pm. Else you can stop over at Sasaram. From Benaras/Sasaram again, a good break to target would be Agra (1260 km from CCU). Agra to Delhi is 225 km.

Hope that helps.
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post

I am planning to cover Delhi to Kolkata in my RD350 during Novend - Dec starting. What will be the weather condition then? Considering I will be riding a bike - will it be a problem to cover 300-350km/day.
Planning to do the same, except that it would be in an Alto and earlier- maybe during october. It would be nice to be home during the Pujas. Would the monsoon damage still be there at the time?
Old 7th June 2010, 09:08   #18
BHPian

CCU-DEL.... Lets see if I can make it. Plan to do that in 6 days... Any checklist for me?

going on a CRDi Hyundai i20 just got 900KM on the odo...
Old 7th June 2010, 10:53   #19
BHPian

Folks,

Since I had lived in Orissa (my native tongue is Tamil) in my childhood, I would like to share with you an important tip.

If you are right, you need not fear the cops. The locals give a damn to the local traffic police. Yes, they are corrupt.

Orissa is the only state in India where everything can be bargained for a lesser price.

Private Bus tickets, dakshina to temple priests can be bargained.

If you are stopped by a corrupt police cop, just ask his name, details and inform him that he is going to inform the press and also take up with the Chief Ministers office at Bhubaneshwar. They will let you go.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Except for the standard spares and other safety measures do keep handy the Hyundai helpline and if possible the names & location of ASC enroute..

i20, I heard is a good car.. This long run will do a lot of good to the engine as well...."acchi tarah ravan ho jayega aur khul jayega"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
CCU-DEL.... Lets see if I can make it. Plan to do that in 6 days... Any checklist for me?

Old 7th June 2010, 12:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
If you are right, you need not fear the cops. The locals give a damn to the local traffic police. Yes, they are corrupt.

Orissa is the only state in India where everything can be bargained for a lesser price.

Private Bus tickets, dakshina to temple priests can be bargained.

If you are stopped by a corrupt police cop, just ask his name, details and inform him that he is going to inform the press and also take up with the Chief Ministers office at Bhubaneshwar. They will let you go.
The biggest nuisance of late is at Jaleshwar - cops insisting on payment of "permit" charges of Rs 800 for out-of-state vehicles, also in the OR-JH border on NH6. I have cautioned many of my friends about this cop menace. and they have all got away with it:

On NH6 - my friend simply refused, closed his window and drove away
Jaleshwar - another friend threatened them with having army and press connections, they were apologetic and ushered him on

Yes, the tip about demanding to know identity of teh cops may work most of the time. As long as you stand firm on this issue, I think one can get away with it not paying this illegal extortionist demand merely meant to harass motorists from outside the State.

Is there any helpline/helpmail in Orissa for this? Or email of some senior cop? Then we can pound their mailboxes with our complaints so that they wake up and do something about it?
Old 7th June 2010, 13:41   #22
BHPian

Officers (CMO) Name and DesignationTelephone (O)Email idShri Bijay Kumar Patnaik, IAS, Principal Secretary to CM.2536682
2322164cmo@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.inShri G. Mathi Vathanan, IAS, Special Secy. to CM 2536762
2165 cmo-ps@ori.nic.inShri Dillip Kumar Mohanty, Private Secy. to CM2535604
2322166cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.inShri Debendra Prasad Dhal, OAS, Addl. Secretary to CM2391206
2322168cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.inShri B.S. Deo, OAS, Addl.Secretary to CM2391742
2322169cmo-ps@ori.nic.inShri R.N. Dash, OAS,Addl. Secretary to CM2322167cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.inSmt. Ritarani Mohapatra, OAS, U.S. to CM.2530700
2322825cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.inSri S.K. Panda, PRO to CM2390902
2322170cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.in

Commissioner of Police
Telephone: 0674-2530035
Fax: 0674-2530001/2530017
email ID: commissioneratepolice@nic.in

Last edited by Eddy : 7th June 2010 at 14:29.
Old 7th June 2010, 13:44   #23
BHPian

The link is available in the following website: http://orissa.gov.in

CM
Old 7th June 2010, 14:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

That is great info. I think we must all sent a mailer to these gentlemen to create some noise - may not get anywhere ultimately though - and who knows, we may see some results. So, who will draft the letetr, and how many joining the issue?

Quote:
Officers (CMO) Name and DesignationTelephone (O)Email idShri Bijay Kumar Patnaik, IAS, Principal Secretary to CM.2536682
2322164cmo@ori.nic.in
2322166cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322168cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322169cmo-ps@ori.nic.inShri R.N. Dash, OAS,Addl. Secretary to CM2322167cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322825cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322170cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.in

Commissioner of Police
Old 7th June 2010, 15:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:

One update for you my friend..

Now a days The trffic rules are strict in BBSR and remaining Dist. HQ.
And remaing are more/less same.

The traffic/police in every state are corrupt. That may be Andhra/Tamilnadu/Karnataka everywhere.

And regarding the toll at Jaleshwar, this is totally illegal and this should not be collect. If you know oriya then this may help some/complet discount.

@ HV sir, i agree with you, we can mail to the top officials. Or we may inform press regardiing this.

During long distance travell, we should not challange police by asking name or showing any connection with press or top bracket officer.
Some times that may turn into an ugly situation.
So Bargain is the best idea.

And lastly Not All the police are Corrupt. I have many good experiance with cop at MH/KT/AP/MP/CG/DL. Got help from them without spent a penny.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Why blame just the Biharis? This is the picture all over the country. Also the thing about the West Bengal truckers is a bit too one sided again. On the wide highways all local/empty trucks and buses behave like that all over the country.
. Have seen this in AP, Vijayawada-ongole-Nellore-Chennai streach of NH5. I guess, to save a few minutes and fuel, the locals seem to use the wrong side of the highway. Had a few misses on the way.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
One update for you my friend..

Now a days The trffic rules are strict in BBSR and remaining Dist. HQ.
And remaing are more/less same.

The traffic/police in every state are corrupt. That may be Andhra/Tamilnadu/Karnataka everywhere.

And regarding the toll at Jaleshwar, this is totally illegal and this should not be collect. If you know oriya then this may help some/complet discount.

And lastly Not All the police are Corrupt. I have many good experiance with cop at MH/KT/AP/MP/CG/DL. Got help from them without spent a penny.
Sorry, Kalinga. No disrespect meant to you or intended to people coming from state of Orissa or to Oriyas speaking persons generally or to the cops of that state.

Since I spent my childhood and started my vocation in Orissa (Cuttack / BBSR) and know Oriya Language and observed the culture there, I took the liberty to comment and give an opinion about the same. I am first a human being, then Indian, and then any body else.

Since I am a lawyer by vocation, I can confidently state that cops in all States in India respect those lawyers who know the law and are following the law and are careful not to misinterpret the law to their advantage. It is always to have local contacts in case of any need. It often helps.

As a matter of principle, I never bribed cops in Orissa or any where in our country and instead of speaking to them, and trying to bargain with them, or trying to rationalise with them quoting the law or rule book, I used to merely ignore them and move away, after I heard their purpose for stopping me.

For example, once in Mumbai a traffic cop detained me stating that I broke the signal when I really did not. I merely told him that he is not right and I will not pay any fine nor hand over my car papers or licence for his inspection. There was a moment of silence after that and I glared at him in his eye. He thereafter quietly asked me to go! (it took 3 mins of the time -which in fast paced Mumbai is a huge time buster.)

Therefore, why fear any body if one is not at fault?
Old 9th June 2010, 12:03   #28
BHPian

interesting and informative thread. will be useful for my trip starting from mumbai and covering delhi- kolkata-puri somewhere in the month of Oct- Nov 10.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
CCU-DEL....
Any checklist for me?

Nothing special required with a brand new car.

Quote:
2322164cmo@ori.nic.in
2322166cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322168cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322825cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
2322170cmo-ps@ori.nic.in
cmo@nic.in

Commissioner of Police
Very informative links. I'm sure justice shall prevail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
interesting and informative thread. will be useful for my trip starting from mumbai and covering delhi- kolkata-puri somewhere in the month of Oct- Nov 10.
You might also find this thread interesting and informative.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nothing special required with a brand new car.
I may be a bit here, but had this question for sometime. When i bought my first car (Accent GLE), many of my friends and collegues suggested that i dont do over 80KMPH until the first service. They seem to be of the opinion that speeding above this limit would effect the piston/engine. Is that really the case?

Most Viewed