Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:40   #76
BHPian

Re: NH2: Delhi to Kolkata, Puri, Benaras, back to Delhi - 5000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Khalsa Hotel is right on NH2, near the crossing of NH2 and the road leading to Dhanbad from Govindpur. While travelling away from Calcutta (travelling in the direction of west) it will appear in your right hand side. Just drive slow and watch out for it. I guess that the place is called Ratanpura.
Rahul, thank you so much . I am collecting all this data now for my upcoming road trip in February.
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:25   #77
BHPian

I was trying to micro-map the route through NH2 and was stumped at some of the route options presented by Google Maps for the Kolkata - Varanasi stretch.

Here is the example of the problem
NH2: Delhi to Kolkata, Puri, Benaras, back to Delhi - 5000 km-gmapanomaly.jpg

This is hardly a few kms and look at the route map thrown up by Google. This also shows up for the Kolkata-Varanasi route causing an irrational increase in the distance and drive time. Can some experts comment
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:57   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar
I was trying to micro-map the route through NH2 and was stumped... Can some experts comment
Not an expert, don't use Google maps often, but I've found that Google as well as the usual GPS mappers i.e. MMI & Satguide, also throw up weird routes at times. Common sense and local people's info are the final deciders.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:27   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not an expert, don't use Google maps often, but I've found that Google as well as the usual GPS mappers i.e. MMI & Satguide, also throw up weird routes at times. Common sense and local people's info are the final deciders.
That is very true sirji. However I have found MapMyIndia more accurate when compared to Google Maps. Since you are a veteran of traveling on this route, would appreciate if you could advise on the following (sorry for hijacking your thread). For traveling from Kolkata to Varanasi I am allotting around 12 hours for the whole journey including breaks. Please validate if this looks good to you.
The timings and the distance is currently approximate and as of now I have assumed driving at sedate speeds to start with.

NH2: Delhi to Kolkata, Puri, Benaras, back to Delhi - 5000 km-kolvaranasirt.jpg

Also I am planning to stay at the Rahi Tourist Bungalow owned by UPSTDC so would it be a better idea to take the Vishwa Sundari Bypass Rd then SH 98 onto NH2 and then going up to Rahi Tourist Bungalow. Would this save more time even though its a greater distance but it bypasses the city traffic in Varanasi? Your advise regarding this would be very helpful.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:55   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
For traveling from Kolkata to Varanasi I am allotting around 12 hours for the whole journey including breaks. Please validate if this looks good to you.
The timings and the distance is currently approximate and as of now I have assumed driving at sedate speeds to start with.
In our recent trip we started from Kolkata at 1 a.m. and reached Benaras at 10:30 a.m. Stopped once at Shan-e-Punjab dhaba at Topchanchi. Got stuck at a huge traffic jam on Kona express way. Followed a truck through a maze of lanes and got out on Delhi road. There was another huge truck jam near Benaras both while going and coming back. Never crossed 100 kmph during the Kolkata to Benaras stretch.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:00   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For traveling from Kolkata to Varanasi I am allotting around 12 hours for the whole journey including breaks. Please validate if this looks good to you.

Also I am planning to stay at the Rahi Tourist Bungalow owned by UPSTDC so would it be a better idea to take the Vishwa Sundari Bypass Rd then SH 98 onto NH2 and then going up to Rahi Tourist Bungalow. Would this save more time even though its a greater distance but it bypasses the city traffic in Varanasi?
(A) You can stop for breakfast at the innumerable 'langcha' shops on the highway itself near Shaktigarh, rather than at Bardhaman.
(B) Better still, pick up the 'mishti' and have it with your lunch at the New Khalsa Hotel at Govindpur. You should make it to Govindpur in 4.5 to 5 hours max. (so reaching there by 1 pm if you left at 7:30 am - your estimate is a little optimistic).
(C) Dehri or Sasaram are ok places for a tea break, but I don't remember any fancy places - just the (rather decrepit looking) dhabas. Suggest you stop at one more commonly frequented by the truck drivers.
(D) Rahi is in the heart of the city, and you cannot avoid the traffic. Given that you'll reach Varanasi in 10-12 hours, the times of 5:30 - 7:30 pm are peak traffic times inside any city. You might want to leave earlier from Calcutta (say 5am) and reach Varanasi @3pm. Heavy breakfast at Khalsa then, and late lunch at Varanasi itself!
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:29   #82
BHPian

Wow thanks so much for a quick response .

Quote:
(A) You can stop for breakfast at the innumerable 'langcha' shops on the highway itself near Shaktigarh, rather than at Bardhaman.
(B) Better still, pick up the 'mishti' and have it with your lunch at the New Khalsa Hotel at Govindpur. You should make it to Govindpur in 4.5 to 5 hours max. (so reaching there by 1 pm if you left at 7:30 am - your estimate is a little optimistic).
None of the traveling party are 'mishti' lovers quite unlike the typical Bongs we are so we might settle for a Punjabi breakfast at some decent place in Burdwan. Since we would have women in the party, I am trying to pace the journey out with logical breaks at points where there are decent dhabas/restaurants with relatively clean toilets to use.

Quote:
(C) Dehri or Sasaram are ok places for a tea break, but I don't remember any fancy places - just the (rather decrepit looking) dhabas. Suggest you stop at one more commonly frequented by the truck drivers.
I originally was planning to drive upto Mohania where there is a decent hotel & restaurant but it would be probably 200 kms at a stretch. I guess this is something I should decide on the go given the general feedback that NH2 from Barhi upto Varanasi is very good to drive. What I wanted to avoid is too much night time driving before reaching the outskirts of Varanasi.

Quote:
(D) Rahi is in the heart of the city, and you cannot avoid the traffic. Given that you'll reach Varanasi in 10-12 hours, the times of 5:30 - 7:30 pm are peak traffic times inside any city. You might want to leave earlier from Calcutta (say 5am) and reach Varanasi @3pm. Heavy breakfast at Khalsa then, and late lunch at Varanasi itself!
So are you saying using the Vishwa Sundari Byepass or continuing on NH2 is awash in terms of traffic and time? I will have to consult the home department to determine if we can start a little earlier . Too early a start sometimes meets with vociferous protests.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 3rd January 2012 at 13:32. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:34   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Incidentally, you'll find better dhabas once you cross over into UP, rathar than in BR/JH.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was trying to micro-map the route through NH2 and was stumped at some of the route options presented by Google Maps for the Kolkata - Varanasi stretch.

Here is the example of the problem
Attachment 863223

This is hardly a few kms and look at the route map thrown up by Google. This also shows up for the Kolkata-Varanasi route causing an irrational increase in the distance and drive time. Can some experts comment
Hi,
Try reversing the direction and see what happens!

This is a fairly common problem on GMaps on dual carriageways in India. Essentially in their internal database, on the dual carriageways, the direction parameters have been set. But in some places, sections have been connected in one direction only, not the other. Together, these throw the routing engine into a spin.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:32   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Try reversing the direction and see what happens!

This is a fairly common problem on GMaps on dual carriageways in India. Essentially in their internal database, on the dual carriageways, the direction parameters have been set. But in some places, sections have been connected in one direction only, not the other. Together, these throw the routing engine into a spin.

Regards
Sutripta
Aah. That explains it. I tried every permutation and combination including reversing but to no effect. Finally I calculated the distance by guessing for that small part using the scale provided in the map
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aah. That explains it. I tried every permutation and combination including reversing but to no effect. Finally I calculated the distance by guessing for that small part using the scale provided in the map
Hi,
Just checked. Reversing direction (Barachatti to Chordaha) works. Shows distance as 3 Km.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Just checked. Reversing direction (Barachatti to Chordaha) works. Shows distance as 3 Km.

Regards
Sutripta
Oops. Yup it actually works. Just verified it. Must have been some mistake that time. I was actually getting multiple issues trying to map the route from Kolkata to Varanasi with the route suddenly showing some state highway detour before reaching Varanasi.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, hope you had a wonderful road trip and a Happy New Year to you. If you have returned back would love to hear your experience on NH2 as I am planning one too from Kolkata to Varanasi and then to a different destination.
YES! Yes I have driven all the way thru NH2 to Kolkata and then on to Bakhali, Bagnan, Bolpur (Shantiniketan) and back to Delhi. On the whole it was a very predictable and a pleasant drive. I was not well (Stomach problem as well as severe cough) on my drive back. I gotten well. Will come back in a day or two and write all about my experience.Sorry to keep you waiting.
contactgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 13:13   #89

SS-Traveller: How can I reach you? Planning this trip again but in a different car and with stop-over with family. Need some help.
Old 9th October 2012, 19:25   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cars View Post
SS-Traveller: How can I reach you? Planning this trip again but in a different car and with stop-over with family. Need some help.
Hi, there's one more very comprehensive thread regarding the route, which you can also refer to. I've emailed you my contact number too, so please feel free to call.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks