Team-BHP - Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/53084-flashback-series-coorg-may-2008-a.html)

Flashback series: These are the road trips made while I was not a member of TBHP, or not active in it. No logs were maintained, and even the routes taken have been longer in couple of occasions due to ignorance, so may not serve as a guide. But nevertheless the experience and photographs are shared.

"Are we?" "Are we not?" The questions were doing rounds, as my wife was trying to finish her annual financial report filing scheduled on 30th April, and more than her I was anxiously waiting for it.
Yes, I had done a few phone calls and found out there are only a handful homestays which were still available, but the number was depleting by the minutes as it was a long week-end.
Finally got the green signal, and booked the homestay. Came back home, packed. Called my friend who was anyway going to Coorg, but staying in a different homestay, to synch-up the journey.

1st May, 08
Got up early morning, rolled out my car around 6:15 for the scheduled meet at 6:30 am in Bannerghata road Shopper Stop. But no sign of them even after 6:45. Turned back went to their home, they were loading the staff in the Innova, he has hired with his colleague. His colleague was late. Finally we started off at around 7:15.
The innova stopped at Kamat for breakfast, looking at the crowd, we went ahead and stopped at CCD after Maddur. We waited almost an hour before starting off, as they were yet to give the start-off signal from there.
Went towards Mysore, took the bypass, lost in the middle and then asking for directions headed towards Hunsur. After checking with them, it seems they are ahead, they took some turn near Srirangpatna. Now after being active in TBHP I realise, what I have missed out on earlier. This road was unknown to me and I had to go 15 odd km extra because of this.

Towards noon reached Kushalnagar, took the turn towards Bylakuppe. And the amazing Tibet unfolds before our eyes. The road took us to the Namdroling Monastery.
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2727c.jpg

Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2729c.jpg

Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2734c.jpg

Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2736c.jpg

We were hungry to the core when we came out, and tried the tibetan food - momo and thukpa in the nearby Shanthi restaurant, and though momo was just decent, thukpa was not edible :eek:

After the lunch, my friend and family joined us in my safari, and we started towards Madikeri, as his colleague wanted to spend some more time in Bylakuppe. We went through slowly through the not so good roads till Madikeri. Called up Sobha, owner of the homestay for the directions, and reached her place quickly as it was pretty close from the Madikeri bus stand.

Took some rest; after an hour, the innova came in and my friend departed to their homestay which is 5 km out of the city within a coffee plantation.

Had a good conversation with Sobha, over the cups of tea.

In the evening went out walking, strolled in the city center, and had the dinner (a buffet, expensive compared to its spread, hotel capitol? don't recollect).

2nd May, 08
Next day early morning it was drive to Talacauvery (source of Cauvery river) through those lovely roads through the hills, valleys, paddy fields. Reached pretty early and thus the heavy flux of devotees were absent.
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2755c.jpg

Climbed through the steps of Brahmagiri, the hill beside Talacauvery.
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2751c.jpg

On the way back went to Abbi falls, I remember from my earlier trip to Coorg, it was a long trek. But was surprised to see the road done up almost till the falls.
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2761c.jpg

Lunch was done at Coorg Cuisine near the local bus stand, and oh man what amazing food it was.

Evening went to Raja seat, but could not see the sunset as it was cloudy. The garden was very neatly done and enjoyed the musical fountain. Had dinner in hotel Rajdarshan just across the street. But while eating, was deliberating it would have been better if we had gone to Coorg Cuisine.

3rd May, 08
Had informed Sobha that we will be leaving early, so we had our breakfast ready. And it was amazing, Puttu - a cake made by broken rice and grated coconut, and egg curry. This was the first time I tested Puttu (later, in our office canteen it was made once, I took very eagerly only to be disappointed - it was nowhere near what we ate that day).

After thanking Sobha for wonderful hospitality took the car out towards Dubare. Took the route towards Siddapura, which has a diversion to Dubare, the roads are well marked. After reaching Dubare, crossed the river on a small motor boat and saw the bathing of the elephants.
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2782c.jpg

Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2785c.jpg

The road again joins back in Kushalnagar IIRC. This time took the right diversion from Ilwal towards Srirangpatna, and tracked the road correctly and then it was smooth drive back in Mysore road to reach back.

Extra cover

The homestay
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2767c.jpg

It's me
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2768c.jpg

The road between Madikeri and Siddapura
Flashback series: Coorg (May, 2008)-img_2777c.jpg

Nice write-up,babumoshaiyi! Beautiful pics too.
Coorg is one place I'd love to go back anytime!Been there twice,the last time being in 2001.

Like Hotstuff, now you too Arindam. You people are in travelogue writing spree.

Great photographs. Although been to Coorg twice but never been to Bylakuppe and Dubare. May be for next time.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1161749)
Nice write-up,babumoshaiyi! Beautiful pics too.
Coorg is one place I'd love to go back anytime!Been there twice,the last time being in 2001.

Thanks Nitin. Hearing that after long time, few colleagues in my first job used to address me "babumoshayi".
Coorg is pristine beauty, some time would like to repeat the Tadiyandalmol trek. But then there are so many places to visit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 1161819)
Like Hotstuff, now you too Arindam. You people are in travelogue writing spree.

Great photographs. Although been to Coorg twice but never been to Bylakuppe and Dubare. May be for next time.

Abhi

Abhi, it's people like you, LukeSkyWalker, MJothi, Samurai who kindled the spirit. I do not have the logs of earlier trips but have the photographs :).

need contact number and email address of the hotel pl.
would like to make an advacne booking.

thanks

check with prince.. who owns his homestay at Coorg and a member of TEAM bhp. C
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...p-welcome.html
If you need deatils please PM me

Quote:

Originally Posted by VMG (Post 1174477)
need contact number and email address of the hotel pl.
would like to make an advacne booking.

thanks

Will try to see if I have it. But this one is a house in the city, if you have time in hand, you may want to look for something within plantation.

In Bylakuppe, one can stay at 'Paljor Dhargey Ling Guest House' (91-8223-258686).
Some travel tips and journey recollections are here:

Bylakuppe, Kushalnagar

There were four of us and travelled in tata Indigo, and was a great trip!

Great place and nice write up. It would be help full if you could give us detail on the best time to visit these places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindamray (Post 1161730)
Flashback series: These are the road trips made while I was not a member of TBHP, or not active in it. No logs were maintained, and even the routes taken have been longer in couple of occasions due to ignorance, so may not serve as a guide. But nevertheless the experience and photographs are shared.

Great pictures, reminds me of my trip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsr_rpm (Post 1653598)
Great place and nice write up. It would be help full if you could give us detail on the best time to visit these places.

I feel except monsoon when it is pouring, the rest of the year is a great time to visit the place. During the rains that patch of road (Hunsur-Kushalnagar) is quite bad, otherwise the journey is a lot of fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brilliantlights (Post 1654378)
Great pictures, reminds me of my trip!

thanks brilliantlights. thanks also for adding more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brilliantlights (Post 1654378)
I feel except monsoon when it is pouring, the rest of the year is a great time to visit the place. During the rains that patch of road (Hunsur-Kushalnagar) is quite bad, otherwise the journey is a lot of fun.

I agree with you for time of visit. Though coorg in monsoon, has a different kind of beauty - you might not be able to venture out, but can certainly enjoy the downpour from the balcony of your homestay in a plantation, with a hot cup of coffee and your favourite book.

Thanks Arindam for the lovely write up.
Earlier it was your Mahabalipuram travelogue from which I plucked out valuable snippets and this time it is your ventures to Coorg.

Planning to visit Coorg soon.
The picture of the steps to the hill near Talacauvery was very helpful to give an insight of the area.
Am I safe in assuming that my kids (aged 4 and 6) would be able to comfortable tread up the hill?

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushmenon (Post 3437363)
Am I safe in assuming that my kids (aged 4 and 6) would be able to comfortable tread up the hill?

As you can see from the pics there are quiet few steps, however it is easily doable with kids too. However if you are traveling before rains it may be too hot on top of the hill, if I remember correctly there is not even a tree to get shade during the whole climb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 3437559)
As you can see from the pics there are quiet few steps, however it is easily doable with kids too. However if you are traveling before rains it may be too hot on top of the hill, if I remember correctly there is not even a tree to get shade during the whole climb.

Thanks mpksuhas.
I intend visiting during mid June, presumably during monsoons then.
I keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain when I reach there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushmenon (Post 3437717)
Thanks mpksuhas.
I intend visiting during mid June, presumably during monsoons then.
I keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain when I reach there.

I visited the place at the beginning of June, last year. It was quite foggy and visibility was very poor. Other than the temple we couldn't get to see any view of the place. It was cold, drizzling slightly, and was windy and very foggy.

Kids can definitely climb up the steps, but make sure you have an eye on them, the steps are quite steep. Also, carry enough water and a couple of sturdy umbrellas(or caps), just in case it gets sunny or drizzles while climbing up.

Locating a good place for food is difficult once you leave Coorg/Madikeri area. So prepare accordingly.