Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Elks in Kentucky

This is about a recent trip that I did in one of the State Forests of Kentucky. This was a weekend trip traveling all the way to Kentucky, to witness one of the unique wildlife initiatives the state has undertaken.

Before we go into the details of the trip, here is a teaser.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0147-large.jpg

More coming soon
Old 17th February 2009, 10:27   #2
BHPian

Wow, another one! Waiting for more pics to come
Old 17th February 2009, 13:02   #3
BHPian

Saurabh, just one word, wow!!!

Will wait eagerly for the travelogue.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome is an understatement!
Old 17th February 2009, 13:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice start. Look forward to rest of the pictures!
Old 17th February 2009, 15:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like something great is cooking in KY and it's not chicken !! Will wait for the teaser campaign to end soon and (light, camera) action to start.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 17th February 2009 at 15:22.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Wow, another one! Waiting for more pics to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Saurabh, just one word, wow!!!
Will wait eagerly for the travelogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Awesome is an understatement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice start. Look forward to rest of the pictures!
Thanks for your interest. Will try to keep you glued here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Looks like something great is cooking in KY and it's not chicken !!
Yes, its not just Chicken thats cooking in KY. Its Elks for a change. I tried to track down the first ever KFC, but did not have much time in hand to visit.

Ok, so lets get back to the travelogue.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

amazing pic @Saurabh. Waiting for the rest.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:48   #9
BHPian

Day 1

The Elk story
The state of Kentucky (KY) has one of the richest coal deposits in USA and the third largest producer of coal of USA. Southern and Eastern KY is full of open cast coal mines. Once the coal is taken out from these mines, the land gets wasted. Here comes the Elks.

In order to utilise the land effectively, Elks were introduced in the mine areas. These Elks, native to the Rocky Mountains were introduced 6 years ago. They started with 7 Elks. The Elks adapted to the environment and the Elk rehabilitation became a success story. The State Parks/Forests have a total of 7000 Elks today. Some of these state parks arrange for Elk tours during specific times of the year.

We came across some information about these Elk tours and decided to give it a go. Here is how our plan stood:

Day 1 : Drive from SC, across 5 states and reach Buckhorn State Resort Park, KY, around 380miles away.

Day 2 : Join the State Park tour that would take us to the areas where Elks are normally sighted.

Day 3 : Leave early in the morning, do some sightseeing and return to SC by 6pm, in time to return the rental car.

Day 1
So, as planned, we picked up our rental from Hertz. It was a Nissan Altima 2.5S. I was not very keen to have that, but then, I had never driven a Nissan, so decided to give it a go. The car turned out to be pretty good, with good pull and a smooth engine.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0005-large.jpg

The weather has been exceptionally cold this week and as we started moving north, we could see the first signs of snow and ice on the road. We had planned to take the drive leisurely, planning to reach the resort by 3pm.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0006-large.jpg

After a while into the journey, I discovered that the Windshield washer of the car is not working. During snowy/icy conditions, it is absolutely necessary for the washer to work. I thought that there was no washer fluid, so stopped at a gas station, pour some fluid into the container under the hood, but, things did not change. While the weather remained cloudy, I was getting concerned anticipating what was to come.

Anyway, the onward journey was uneventful. We stopped at a few places for photoshoots and finally reached the resort by 3:30pm.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0008-large.jpg

The state park has a river passing through it and the resort is built overlooking the river from a hill. The overall layout was good.

Entrance to the Park Office
Attachment 102201

As we settled down, we realized that it was getting cooler fast and the wind was also gathering speed. After getting fresh, we decided to have a walk along the river.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0054-large.jpg

To our surprise, the river was frozen with a small rivulet still managing to flow along the middle of the river. It was getting cold fast and we roamed for about an hour and went back to our cottages.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0018-large.jpg

An empty, frozen boat dock.
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0031-large.jpg

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0027-large.jpg

The plan was to get to bed early as we have to join the Elk tour offered by the resort next morning. The tour starts at 6:30am and thats real early.

The view from the cottage balcony.
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0066-large.jpg

Day 2 coming up, stay tuned.
Old 18th February 2009, 23:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Shots are looking good. Car shots are nice. Waiting for more shots. and detailed write up.
Old 18th February 2009, 23:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post

Yes, its not just Chicken thats cooking in KY. Its Elks for a change.
How was the Elk Meat?
Did the Altima pass the "Elk Test"?
Waiting for more

Last edited by 1100D : 18th February 2009 at 23:31.
Old 18th February 2009, 23:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post

Day 2 coming up, stay tuned.
Yes, we are. Photos are nice.
Old 19th February 2009, 00:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Another one from Saurabh da!
Was the Altima a rental too? (The Mazda 6 had FL plates too, if I'm not wrong).
Old 19th February 2009, 04:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Shots are looking good. Car shots are nice. Waiting for more shots. and detailed write up.
Thanks Rudra da. These comments mean a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
How was the Elk Meat? Did the Altima pass the "Elk Test"?
Waiting for more
We did not actually get to taste Elk meat. However, it can be done during the hunting season. Every year, to keep the trigger-happy Americans happy, limited hunting permits can be bought to hunt Elks in these parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Yes, we are. Photos are nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Another one from Saurabh da!
Was the Altima a rental too? (The Mazda 6 had FL plates too, if I'm not wrong).
Yes, this too was a rental and also had a Florida plate. Going by performance and handling, the Altima comes nowhere near the Mazda6. The 6 is waaay ahead.
Old 19th February 2009, 05:04   #15
BHPian

Day 2

As planned, we woke up early in the morning as we had to leave by 6:30am. It was extremely cold outside. We got ready and before leaving our cottage, I called up the reception to confirm the trip.

Bad news was waiting for us. The Elk trip has been postponed until 10:30am, due to icy road conditions and the park is not getting clearance from the State Police to take tourists on that road. We will not be able to leave until the weather situation improves. This dampened the mood of the team. Chances of wildlife sightings are high during early and late hours of the day. I was disappointed to know that we would be going 10:30am.

View from inside the reception area.
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0058-large.jpg

From the balcony
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0042-large.jpg

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0044-large.jpg

The long waited started. To kill time, we took a small hike around the hill, overlooking the lake. When we returned from the hike, we were told that the authorities have not given clearance yet and the trip has been rescheduled till 1:00pm.

View of the lake from the hike
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0039-large.jpg

We were praying that the trip happens because this was the very reason we came all the way from SC. All along, the weather conditions did not improve much. It was extremely cold and gloomy.

Around 2:00pm, things started looking positive. The park authorities went out on a drive to ensure the road was safe. Finally the good news came that we can start at 3:00pm.

We were a total of 16 persons, divided into 2 vans. The drive would take around 1hr to reach the spot where Elks were spotted the previous day. Off we went. The driver was very cautious all along and asked everybody in the van to wear seatbelts.

Finally we arrived at the forest. After driving for around 10-15mins, we spotted a large herd of Elks along a hill slope. As we stepped out of the van, we realized how cold it was. There was significant wind as well and our hands were getting numb. Visibility was also low, due to a thin veil of fog/mist hanging around and also it was a cloudy day coming to an end.

The parked vans
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0113-large.jpg

While most of the other tourists, mostly aged Americans, opted to stay inside the van and watch through their binoculars, me and my friends started walking very cautiously towards a vantage point, from where we can get some good pictures.

The slopes and the trail
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0096-large.jpg

Since vegetation was thin, the Elks could see us. We tried to minimize our movements and proceed with extreme caution. The pics that would follow are not of very high quality, due to the light and weather conditions.

This picture would give an idea of the distance from where the Elks were shot
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0107-large.jpg

My teleconverter helping me
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0109-large.jpg

I spent around 45mins out in the cold before it was time to go. It was also getting dark. As we started walking back to the van, it started snowing.

Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0141-large.jpg

Returning back to the resort
Elks in Kentucky-dsc_0146-large.jpg

While returning back, we decided that we would come back again, to spend more time with the Elks. As we had planned for Day 3, we would leave the resort early, drive the Altima upto the point we came by van and then start our journey back to SC. It would be a hectic day for us.

There are more Elks pics coming up from Day 2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks