Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!

My first visit abroad !! And believe me, its been like a dream ever since i landed here

Landed on 5th of Feb 2009

Thought of sharing my trip with you guys !!

Enjoy !!
Old 18th February 2009, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't see much to enjoy here right now. Waiting for the enjoyment portion to begin.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldn't this go in the Travelogues section?

Where is the sharing bit?

Anyways, since you are there now, you will get great deals at malls due to the economic slowdown! BTW, which part of the middle east?
Old 18th February 2009, 16:48   #4
BHPian

My First Outing ! MALL OF EMIRATES :)

I am posting the BEST ones of the day.....

Enjoy...

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-1.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-2.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-3.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-4.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-5.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-6.jpg

Cheers !
Old 18th February 2009, 16:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Shouldn't this go in the Travelogues section?

Where is the sharing bit?

Anyways, since you are there now, you will get great deals at malls due to the economic slowdown! BTW, which part of the middle east?

If this is the wrong place for this, MODs !! kindly do the needful

I am staying close to Abu Dhabi actually. But i am moving around hunting down every place related to AUTOMOBILES ! Anyways... let my snaps speak

Cheers..
Old 18th February 2009, 17:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I can almost feel your excitement of your first visit abroad jump out of this thread

Glad to see your enjoying and that's some cool pictures of cars. Keep 'em coming!
Old 18th February 2009, 17:45   #7
BHPian

Few more spottings made in the first couple of days.

Dodge CHARGER , Lincoln TOWN CAR , R8 , Porsche CARRERA , H2 LIMO , Nissan GTR , Maserati QUATTROPORTE , G Wagon- G55 , CORVETTE , MUSTANG...

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc00261.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc00263.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc00299.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc00336.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc00347.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc04540.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc04554.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc04627.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc04641.jpg

Mid- East!! THE place to BE !!-dsc04679.jpg

Cheers...
Old 18th February 2009, 17:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I can almost feel your excitement of your first visit abroad jump out of this thread

Glad to see your enjoying and that's some cool pictures of cars. Keep 'em coming!

True dude !! Everytime i go to the city, i dont know where to see !! Wherever i see, there is somethin new and awesome

Lots to come

Cheers !!
Old 18th February 2009, 17:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ive been to the place and the Mall of the Emirates.
Its like the most exotic mall ( car wise )

Waiting for more.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

My partner said all the malls are giving things at throw away prices due to the recession effect. Around 20000 indians will return with their jobs lost by March 2009. If you are on a visit, you will enjoy the place, if you are on a job assignment, it may not be that great place to be !
Old 18th February 2009, 18:55   #11
BHPian

Shajufx, Would you know how many Indians work in the middle east. This is just to get an estimate of %-age of people getting affected.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I dont dare to calculate the numbers !! My family (mine and wife's) itself has got over 40 people (direct cousines or uncles or aunties, excluding distant relatives), my previous collegues, friends, school mates or college mates from India will exceed roughly 100+. My above post on 20000 figure is purely an estimation telecasted on Asianet News channel 24 hours back ! Actual figures would be much more. I know almost every house in Kerala has someone in the 'GELF', atleast a relative ! There are reports of 'given up' cars in the airports (my friend works at emirates office), which means some Indians have left mid east leaving their cars (on loan offcourse) at the airport, never intending to return. My another collegue was telling, over a dozen North Indians who lost their jobs in Dubai but having an EMI running on home loans in India, totally heart broken and lost not knowing what next ?

These are things that are plain truths, we know over 25000 jobs are lost in Bangalore alone, more shocking figures are announced from different companies almost each day. Its a situation, everyone is at risk. My cousine who used to do 40 to 50 laks business a month (state dealership for 2 major household brands) is now struggling to touch 7 laks a month. His salary commitment itself is over 90k a month, not counting the wearhouse, telephone, delivery vans and all such expenses that are fixed.

I think I ran out of topic, sorry !
Old 19th February 2009, 06:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Oh, I dont dare to calculate the numbers !! My family (mine and wife's) itself has got over 40 people (direct cousines or uncles or aunties, excluding distant relatives), my previous collegues, friends, school mates or college mates from India will exceed roughly 100+. My above post on 20000 figure is purely an estimation telecasted on Asianet News channel 24 hours back ! Actual figures would be much more. I know almost every house in Kerala has someone in the 'GELF', atleast a relative ! There are reports of 'given up' cars in the airports (my friend works at emirates office), which means some Indians have left mid east leaving their cars (on loan offcourse) at the airport, never intending to return. My another collegue was telling, over a dozen North Indians who lost their jobs in Dubai but having an EMI running on home loans in India, totally heart broken and lost not knowing what next ?

These are things that are plain truths, we know over 25000 jobs are lost in Bangalore alone, more shocking figures are announced from different companies almost each day. Its a situation, everyone is at risk. My cousine who used to do 40 to 50 laks business a month (state dealership for 2 major household brands) is now struggling to touch 7 laks a month. His salary commitment itself is over 90k a month, not counting the wearhouse, telephone, delivery vans and all such expenses that are fixed.

I think I ran out of topic, sorry !
Wow I didn't know the recession has hit the middle east so bad. I thought all you guys were cruising there with all the oil and construction money.

But I guess in a truly global economy, you can feel the ripple effects everywhere.
Old 19th February 2009, 07:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Wow I didn't know the recession has hit the middle east so bad. I thought all you guys were cruising there with all the oil and construction money...
Recession has hit the 'Gelf' really bad with a capital "R".

Top constructions companies like Damas have a lean plan for the year and Nakheel seems to be having most of their vendor payments outside the credit time frame.

Even the construction at Burj Dubai, the tallest building has been put on hold. Maybe the Dubai members can confirm this.

Compound with the 15%+ increase in the rental Year-on-Year, people are being squeezed to death!!

Bottom line - 'GElf' is not the 'GElf' it was, at least for the time being.
Old 19th February 2009, 12:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its interesting that the thread has gone from a 'great place Dubai' to a miserable, recession hit, shrinking economy discussion here. Certain fields are totally unaffected though, apart from people losing jobs almost everyday, I also see people getting promoted with 20% increase in salary + new car given with driver etc. in my compound itself. I have no clue how they do that and what makes them so bold in a time like this !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks