Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Driver said, you can see the show and we can leave around 2pm. Still we will be able to see the tigers etc. But I don't want to buy his words. I have read the timing and it closed around 3:30pm. So, we again started to head Kanchanabhuri. It was very long distance and we reached the place sharp 2pm.

On the way I did see couple of Aveos. Khan's wish partially fulfilled right? You were searching for my Aveo, but atlast got another
How can I miss it?

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7056.jpg

I get the ticket [500BHAT per person] and enter. The place was like a open forest. It has a huge compound wall surrounded and you see the deers all roaming around freely.

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7162.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7163.jpg

The moment we cross those place, you will certainly close your nose. Yes, it was smelling so badly due to the open toilet or the food for those animals.

First we went to see the cubs in there. When we went there we were so excited to see those cubs jumping up and down and having Milk in the feeding bottle.

Its so cute!!! Isn't it?
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7057.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7058.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7059.jpg

They had a small queue. We joined the queue and had a chance to sit near the cub for sometime and play with it. One cub was almost on my legs jumping and my pants were all become dirty. But who cares!!! I was holding the cub and suddenly that fellow almost bitten my little finger. Luckily nothing happened except for a feeling like a small scratch.

Very active and naughty cubs!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7060.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7061.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7062.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7063.jpg

Then we left from there and went to the main place where they have the big guys.

Wow, the whole place was like a shooting spot. They have huge fans with water being sprinkled from it to make the area cooler. Couple of big umbrellas for shades. And ofcourse a looooong queue.

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7067.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7069.jpg

We saw 2 queue there. One was very short and other was long. On enquiry they said that the 2nd queue (shorter one) is for people who can pay extra 1000BHAT. This not only gives you quick access to tiger, but you can also get some nice pictures with the tigers head on your lap, you hugging the tiger and a tiger teeth/nail chain something.

We decided to just skip those part and joined the lengthy queue. It was really moving very slow. The volunteers there actually take each people holding their hands, keep the hands on the tiger and take pictures. Two volunteers for one visitor. One takes you and the other takes the picture. They repeat the same with all the tigers over there.

We were waiting for our turn. One volunteer gives announcing that we should not have dark / bright color attire, nothing hanging from the clothes, no reflective specs etc.

Finally we get the chance. We go with one of the volunteers and she takes us to each of the Tiger, we sit next to tiger, touch them and they click us.

Wow, what a feeling. Even if you initially had some fear for these wild cats, after you touch them it will fly away. You will be eager to keep playing more and more with the Tiger. The body is so soft. When I was touching the 2nd or 3rd tiger, it gave me a small hit with its tail. Oh, luckily the tail was clean. Lol...

No use in starring at me, I don;t get afraid!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7071.jpg
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7072.jpg
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7073.jpg

Not even my son!!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7077.jpg
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7082.jpg
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7084.jpg
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7087.jpg

Tiger got a chance to take a pics with a LEO!!! -
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7093.jpg

You can see many volunteers keep on fan-ing the tigers and pouring water to keep it cool. Sometimes the Monks come and do a friendly hug to the tiger and they also help the volunteers. Some one big tigers, it was always these monks who came and lifted the head so the visitor can sit near it, put the lap beneath the head and take the picture. It was the only tiger which was really big among the rest.

After we are done with all the tigers we again went back to the Cub. Played with it for some more time and then left the place. It was 4pm when we came out of the place.

Last edited by mjothi : 3rd March 2009 at 13:39.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics from Tiger Temple

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7097.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7098.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7103.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7113.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7131.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7136.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7139.jpg

Name:  IMG_7141.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  126.8 KB

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7142.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7143.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7146.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7150.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7151.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7152.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7154.jpg

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7157.jpg
I see many artificial trees being constructed around. probably they are building it for tigers to give a homely feel - Oops forest-feel

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7158.jpg

Last edited by mjothi : 3rd March 2009 at 14:51.
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:07   #33
BHPian

Call me a wuss but I don't think I can ever get so close to a tiger at all !! Maybe its all those 'Animals Going Wild' kind of videos that I've seen.
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:13   #34
BHPian

though it is entertaining, feel sad to see wild creatures like the Royal Tiger to be chained and tamed!
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

@mjothi,
nice pics with wild cat.
your daughter is not seen in any pic.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
though it is entertaining, feel sad to see wild creatures like the Royal Tiger to be chained and tamed!
True. Nice travelogue. Tigers look so damn huge,however noone seems to be scared
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@mjothi,
nice pics with wild cat.
your daughter is not seen in any pic.
Yup. She was not joining us. We left her in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
True. Nice travelogue. Tigers look so damn huge,however noone seems to be scared
yes, they have been bought up by the monks in the same environment. Some of the tigers are from Corbett park came here when it was a cub. Since they have been growing along with the humans, they don't have any fear of human. This is what told by those Monks over there.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yup. She was not joining us. We left her in Bangalore

yes, they have been bought up by the monks in the same environment. Some of the tigers are from Corbett park came here when it was a cub. Since they have been growing along with the humans, they don't have any fear of human. This is what told by those Monks over there.
Well looking at there size its we humans who should be having a fear of them
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Sawasdee Khrup!

Quote:
The Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple is run by Monks initially to rehabilitate Tigers. They are born in the center and not captured or tamed. So at they end of they day they are just oversized cats who dont know any different.

Would you rather have tigers bred in captivity or none at all due to poachers??

No offense intended.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:31   #40
BHPian

I would want them to lead a natural life in the wilderness - sans the poachers. They are definitely not timid creatures, and not meant to be reared that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Would you rather have tigers bred in captivity or none at all due to poachers??
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would want them to lead a natural life in the wilderness - sans the poachers. They are definitely not timid creatures, and not meant to be reared that way.
Agreed, best not to upset the balance of nature, but unfortunately we dont live in a perfect world!

Recently I saw a tiger in the wild after 12 years for my dad it was after 30 years, we were both in awe. Future generations might not be so lucky.

Hell I know people my own age who have never seen one in the wild. Have you?

Mjothi sorry for derailing your thread!
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mahesh, so many tigers in the open. Great pics maan. Eager to see more...

Abhi
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Aah..there you are Mtiger...you have restarted the thread and that looks refreshing. Nice pics of tigers.

BTW, wherez the blue jacket? ;-)

Last edited by snaronikar : 3rd March 2009 at 20:02.
Old 3rd March 2009, 21:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Aah..there you are Mtiger...you have restarted the thread and that looks refreshing. Nice pics of tigers.

BTW, wherez the blue jacket? ;-)
Blue Jacket? For what? To get burns!!! Man it was deadly hot there and no chance you can have jacket. Else you would have probably seen it
Old 4th March 2009, 10:22   #45
BHPian

dude....awesome travelogue....one more thing i noticed in bangkok....95 % of the taxis are corollas....
does anyone know...why ??

Most Viewed