Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 12:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ashish, shall surely keep that in mind. Baramati in MH; isn't this Sharadrao Govindrao Pawar's constituency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Its open invitation to all bhpians, whenever you pass through Baramati, just call me little before and its my great pleasure to have some daal baati with you.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:01   #32
Team-BHP Support

Hey GD, why should I ghost write, don't you recognise my style, it is not the same. I only did the cut and paste from her word file and uploading of photos. Rest is all her.

Wife Says...

Ashish: Careful with your invites. We might hold you to it someday.

gd: Why gd? Do I look incapable of typing. I didn’t get my own ID because this is essentially a forum about boys and their toys. Women have mostly been on the sidelines. I don’t see much point in joining up to post one travelogue.

As Sharath always reports all our travels here, I’ve enjoyed being able to relive some experiences after a year or two just by surfing in here. This trip happened to be one of my best in the recent times. I wanted this experience to last, hence I’m taking the trouble of sorting through the pictures and writing out the travelogue.

Next time I’ll take Sharath along, I too prefer him doing everything!
Old 6th March 2009, 13:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

When I was posting that statement, a part of my hippothalamus cried - don't do it you idiot, you are in for a tongue lashing.

And that is what happened.

Like a true politician, I retract my statement and would like to say that I've been misquoted....

Sam: yes it indeed is not your style.

Mrs. Sharath: my sincere apologies if I unknowingly caused a hurt...

Excellant prose...I must say..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hey GD, why should I ghost write, don't you recognise my style, it is not the same. I only did the cut and paste from her word file and uploading of photos. Rest is all her.

Wife Says...

gd: Why gd? Do I look incapable of typing. I didn’t get my own ID because this is essentially a forum about boys and their toys. Women have mostly been on the sidelines. I don’t see much point in joining up to post one travelogue.

As Sharath always reports all our travels here, I’ve enjoyed being able to relive some experiences after a year or two just by surfing in here. This trip happened to be one of my best in the recent times. I wanted this experience to last, hence I’m taking the trouble of sorting through the pictures and writing out the travelogue.

Next time I’ll take Sharath along, I too prefer him doing everything!
Old 6th March 2009, 13:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wife Says...

sir and madam,
you are always welcome.

Quote:
@gd1418-Baramati in MH; isn't this Sharadrao Govindrao Pawar's constituency?
Yes, Baramati is in MH, @100 KM from Pune, Mr. Pawar's stronghold.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 6th March 2009 at 13:27.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:53   #35
BHPian

Wow! Great thread here. I lived in Delhi for many years but often (and now I realize mistakenly) dismissed Rajasthan as over hyped without actually visiting.
I now realize how wrong I was - and that I truly missed an opportunity. One that I now plan to make up for!!

Quote:
When I was posting that statement, a part of my hippothalamus cried - don't do it you idiot, you are in for a tongue lashing.
You have a hippothalamus? LOL!
Old 6th March 2009, 21:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Instead of "ypo" it became "ippo" and you noticed...
I had gone past my editing time limit and couldn't correct the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
You have a hippothalamus? LOL!
Old 6th March 2009, 21:57   #37
BHPian

Complements to Mr & Mrs Samurai

An excellent logue and excellent photographs too

I happen to go on a similar trip to Rajasthan last December, mainly close to the Border with Pak. Was lucky to be on a road trip and the driving through Raj was an amazing experience in itself,Sri Ganagnagar,Suratgarh,Bikaner,Jaisalmer.
The best roads I have seen,straight and barely any traffic(yeah sometimes with long army convoys)and camel carts and beautiful surroundings, although i admit i never thought that the desert could also be beautiful.

With all due respect to Mr & Mrs Samurai and their excellent travelogue, I'd like to add couple of pictures, on road in Rajasthan.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Rajasthan through her eyes-img_0244.jpg  

Rajasthan through her eyes-img_0246.jpg  

Rajasthan through her eyes-img_0248.jpg  

Old 6th March 2009, 23:15   #38
BHPian

Congratulations, Mrs. Sharath on a nicely written travelogue & some nice pictures. I am more of a mountain/forest sort of guy but seeing yours & some other travelogues on Rajasthan, I think I will visit Rajasthan once I come back to India. Once again, thanks for sharing.

Ranjith
Old 7th March 2009, 00:05   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

You seem to have had a beautiful trip through Rajasthan, enjoying the architecture and the curios, the traditional artwork and the stark scenery,
Rajasthan through her eyes-pict0063.jpg
the camels in plenty and the greenery in hiding. Your trip just reminded us of our own trip 3 years ago to Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner and a place called Deshnoke near Bikaner, to visit a temple of RATS!
Rajasthan through her eyes-deshnoke0047.jpg

Keep writing, I am thoroughly enjoying your travelogue.
Old 7th March 2009, 01:28   #40
Team-BHP Support

Travelogue Continues...

No apologies required gd bhaisaab, it was NOT a tongue-lashing.

Fort palace, the guide explains that the king was often funded by rich jain businessmen in town and the treasury was often empty. That also explains why the havelis are grander than this palace.

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1000990.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1000983.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1000989.jpg

View of the town

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1000992.jpg

Gadisar Lake

Name:  P1000998.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  274.6 KB

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1000999.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010004.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010005.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010006.jpg

It is 5pm when we get back to our hotel. It is brimming with European guests, at least 2 or 3 tours groups seem to be here. The hotel has put on a festive atmosphere with Christmas lights all around. We had to wait a while for dinner table since tour groups book their dinner in advance. The staff was very polite and apologetic about it; we didn’t mind it at all. Their food was good too. We really enjoyed our stay at Rang Mahal.

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010016.jpg

Feb 12th Jaisalmer – Jodhpur

We set off for Jodhpur. One little problem, the AC in the tavera had stopped working on the way to Sam dunes from Bikaner. The driver said something broke in the compressor and the gas has escaped. Jaisalmer was too small a place, I doubt if Freon was available there. So, we were without AC since yesterday morning. Yesterday it was fine, since our drives were short.
Today it was bad, at noon as we were nearing Jodhpur it was terrible. The minute we reached our hotel, I instructed our driver to inform his tour company and get it fixed the same day. He said he would drop us at the fort and go to the dealership, he was confident that it would be fixed at Jodhpur.

We check into hotel Mapple Abhay. They are an international chain? Then I’m missing something. We had opted for 4-star accommodation throughout the trip, this doesn't get even 1-star from me.

The corridor outside our room was dark, there was no window at our end, so we request them to switch on the corridor lights. They would switch on only on request, and promptly switch it off within 5 minutes. This happened atleast three times, they simply would not keep it on until after 6PM
The carpeting in our room was old and dirty. Housekeeping staff gets the extra bed and wants to put it on the floor. I ask for a folding cot, guy pretends he has never heard of it. Only when I raise my voice,and he realizes I am not buying , he says “ek hai, dektha hoon” and gets it. The two guys were unbelievably clumsy at making the bed. Usually it is a pleasure to watch the crisp manner in which they do it.

When we returned from our tour, we find the bathroom dirty. I call room service, they send someone to clean. And he says their drains are clogged so they are having this problem. What a relief!

Our room was got getting cooled, we kept AC at max, but since it is central AC, I think the temperature was kept high at the central control. Only at 8PM the AC started working normally, but somewhere in the middle of the night 1AM maybe, they again start their cost-cutting tactic.

There was no hot water at night. Another call to room service, they say keep the tap open for 10 minutes. Fine, I keep the tap open for 20 minutes, still no hot water. Again I call, they send someone, he keeps the tap open for a long while, there is slight warm water. He said hot water is coming and disappeared. So, did the dream of a bath.

I was tired from the drive and tour, tried of calling room service and front desk umpteen times. I resisted the urge to blown up while checking out the next day. Even left with a smile, after all I am never ever going to come to this hotel again.

It just happened to be a lousy day, with some bright spots.

Jaswant Thada , the cremation ground of Jodhpur rulers

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010025.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010026.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010028.jpg

These graves belong to other members of the royal family, like the king’s brothers, uncles etc.

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010030.jpg

Meherangarh fort

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010038.jpg

To Be Continued...
Old 7th March 2009, 08:59   #41
ECM
BHPian

Glad that she did not Samu,she look to me a natural photographer and I like 6 shots of her v.v.much of camel,desert and palaces to be precise.Most of women are born artist and this is an example,spendid work Mrs.Samurai.I enjoyed each and every shot captured by you keep it up!
Quote:
To be honest, she has not received any photography training from me. She dumped 750 pics on the PC and asked me to fix them. But I ran away looking at the sheer number. Therefore, none of the pics have any manual PP on them, they were bulk resized using Picasa. Only one photo was fixed using CS4 for distortion.
Old 7th March 2009, 11:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mrs. Shetty, allow me to apologise for the nightmare that you went through in the Hotel at Jodhpur. Jodhpur being my "sasuraal", I feel I must apologise on their behalf. It is a wonderful city with wonderful people.

My only grouse is, I wish Sharath had checked with me about Jodhpur. Not that I claim to be the resident expert, but surely would have been of some help.

During my travels, I normally make it a point to stay at the State Tourism facilities/youth hostels that apart from being easy on your pockets also are decent. On an outstaion tour the biggest cost is the lodging, that robs all the charm of sightseeing.

Moomal in Jaisalmer and Ghoomar in Jodhpur are RTDC properties and above average. If I had known, I could've put in a word at Ghoomar.

Quote:

Feb 12th Jaisalmer – Jodhpur

We set off for Jodhpur.

We check into hotel Mapple Abhay. They are an international chain? Then I’m missing something. We had opted for 4-star accommodation throughout the trip, this doesn't get even 1-star from me.

The corridor outside our room was dark, there was no window at our end, so we request them to switch on the corridor lights. They would switch on only on request, and promptly switch it off within 5 minutes. This happened atleast three times, they simply would not keep it on until after 6PM
The carpeting in our room was old and dirty. Housekeeping staff gets the extra bed and wants to put it on the floor. I ask for a folding cot, guy pretends he has never heard of it. Only when I raise my voice,and he realizes I am not buying , he says “ek hai, dektha hoon” and gets it. The two guys were unbelievably clumsy at making the bed. Usually it is a pleasure to watch the crisp manner in which they do it.

When we returned from our tour, we find the bathroom dirty. I call room service, they send someone to clean. And he says their drains are clogged so they are having this problem. What a relief!

Our room was got getting cooled, we kept AC at max, but since it is central AC, I think the temperature was kept high at the central control. Only at 8PM the AC started working normally, but somewhere in the middle of the night 1AM maybe, they again start their cost-cutting tactic.

There was no hot water at night. Another call to room service, they say keep the tap open for 10 minutes. Fine, I keep the tap open for 20 minutes, still no hot water. Again I call, they send someone, he keeps the tap open for a long while, there is slight warm water. He said hot water is coming and disappeared. So, did the dream of a bath.

I was tired from the drive and tour, tried of calling room service and front desk umpteen times. I resisted the urge to blown up while checking out the next day. Even left with a smile, after all I am never ever going to come to this hotel again.
Old 7th March 2009, 12:03   #43
Team-BHP Support

Excellent service @ Rang Mahal

Read what happened to us here

Great to relive things on this blog
Old 7th March 2009, 21:00   #44
Team-BHP Support

Travelogue Continues...

SS-Traveller: We heard about the Deshnoke Rat Temple, EEKS! Uncle wanted to go, but me and my aunt vetoed it.

ajmat: Rang Mahal truly gave us no reason to be unhappy. We walked in groggy from the camp at 10.20AM (check-in time is 12), they gave us a room within twenty minutes. We needed same day laundry service; their policy says clothes have to be given by 10. We gave at 12.30 with a request, and they delivered the same evening. We could see that the hotel was full and they were stretched to the limit, yet we were not inconvenienced in any way.

ONWARD…

Meherangarh fort was founded by Rao Jodha. The fort walls are deceptively built around a granite hill, to keep the enemy occupied at the base. The palaces and living areas are twelve storeys higher than the base. There are many similarities in architecture between this fort and Bikaner fort as Rao Bika is the enstranged son of Rao Jodha.

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010039.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010042.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010043.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010045.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010050.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010052.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010053.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010056.jpg

Howdas /Palanquins

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010059.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010060.jpg

Name:  P1010062.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  228.4 KB

Curved Mughal sword

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010069.jpg

Rajput sword

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010070.jpg

British sword

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010071.jpg

Dewan-e-khaas

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010074.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010078.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010081.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010089.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010093.jpg

It’s a swing, the puppets move when the swing is rocked

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010096.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010098.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010103.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010105.jpg

Private courtyard for women

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010106.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010107.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010109.jpg

Feb 13th Jodhpur-Ranakpur- Udaipur

We start our drive towards Ranakpur. AC in the car was still not working, driver says compressor needs to be replaced, that is expensive and he can’t get it done. I call the tour company, they assure they’ll replace the vehicle at Udaipur. It was a hot drive, I’m homesick and missing the kids now. Uncle is cheerful as usual. My aunt is tired; she’s having a tough time with her arthritis. Her enthusiasm alone is carrying her through the trip. For the seven years that we lived in NJ, their home at NY used to be like my parents home.

I thought we were mostly done with Rajasthan. The thought lasted until we reached Ranakpur… The Jain temples are simply magnificient. Emperor Akbar had been so impressed, he had decreed that nobody should harm these temples.

The dullness vanished and I went ballistic with the camera here, I must have captured every one of the 1444 pillars.

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010117.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010119.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010120.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010121.jpg

To be Continued...

Last edited by Samurai : 8th March 2009 at 08:46. Reason: extra info
Old 7th March 2009, 21:18   #45
Team-BHP Support

Travelogue Continues...

I tried pretty hard to get the front entrance without any people, just as I thought I got my shot, the guard walks in, grrr

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010123.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010126.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010127.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010129.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010154.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010131.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010132.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010133.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010134.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010135.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010136.jpg

Rajasthan through her eyes-p1010139.jpg