Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 18:18   #1
BHPian

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..

It was our wedding anniversary over the weekend and another reason to head out somewhere for a long drive! Initial plans were to drive towards Kerala / Wayanad areas, but the news of all the recent forest fires led to us having second thoughts and we veered towards Kodagu.

Route taken (in terms of the order of places covered / touched) was:
Bangalore > Dubare> Madikeri > Bhagamandala > Talakaveri > Byalukuppe > Mysore > Bangalore.

Total distance on the trip meter: 726kms.

In the past few months we had driven through Kodagu – Madikeri areas a couple of times, first when we were on the year-end trip in December and more recently when we were driving to Kukke-Subramanya for the KP trek. We had missed seeing Talakaveri both the times, so we planned to drive upto Talakaveri, covering a couple of other places along the way.

Since there are plenty of travelogues here covering all these places, I thought I’ll skip the write-ups and just post some pics from the drive.

The one comment that I have to make is that Mysore palace is just not what it used to be. I had been to the palace around 10 – 12 years ago and so had Sangeetha. This time around we were quite disappointed to see that not only has photography been banned inside the palace, the number of displays also seems to have gone down. Moreover, the way in which Raja Ravi Varma’s paintings were displayed in the Jaganmohan palace art gallery is quite sad. There are no protective casings and the paintings are visibly deteriorating with age. Insead of soft-muted lighting, spot-lights have been used to light-up the paintings, which results in glare, thus spoiling the display. :(

Route map:
'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-talakaveriroute.png
Map Courtesy: MapmyIndia.com

To be followed with some pics...

Last edited by hotstuff : 10th March 2009 at 18:35.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

This would be nice trip, I would like to visit Dubare after this rainy season in October.
I heard very less animal spotting around Dubare forest but interacting with Elephants in the camp would be great treat in Jungle Lodges. They have day package for that, we need not stay there. I saw in TV elephants play football etc.. I am convincing my entire family to join us for Dubare trip and making preparations from last 3 months.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

You really are going places in your Xing Thing!

Good going, and we're waiting for the pics!
Old 11th March 2009, 22:54   #4
BHPian

Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare...

Before going on to the pics, I would like to thank @ravibhat & @akroy; I picked up quite a few pointers for this trip from their travelogues.

@ravibhat's log:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-pictures.html

@akroy's log:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...revisited.html

Now, onto some pics:

The drive on Mysore road...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-1.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-2.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-3.jpg

The 'Honey tree'!

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-4.jpg

The Cauvery near Dubare...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-5.jpg

Mushrooms...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-6.jpg

Dubare...Note that most activities happen between 9am to 10.30am and only the elephant rides go on till 12.00noon and beyond, so plan accordingly.

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-7.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-8.jpg

The path leading to Abbe falls...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-9.jpg

Abbe falls...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-10.jpg

Sunset at Raja's seat, Madikeri...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-11.jpg

Madikeri...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-12.jpg

Bhagamandala...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-13.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-14.jpg

The Triveni sangam...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-15.jpg

Today's Pandi, Tomorrow's Pandi Curry...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-16.jpg

Talakaveri...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-17.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-18.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-20.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-21.jpg

The steps leading up to the hillock next to the temple...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-22.jpg

View from the top...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-23.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-24.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-25.jpg

Stopped at the Bhagamandala temple on the way back. Very nice temple, featuring typical Kerala style architecture, well maintained, clean...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-26.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-27.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-28.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-29.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-30.jpg

Contd...
Old 11th March 2009, 23:14   #5
BHPian

Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare...

Bhagamandala Temple…

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-31.jpg

The teertha at the temple was quite tasty! So we got a bottle full of it!

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-32.jpg

Stopped in Madikeri for lunch and saw these 'interesting' items on the menu. I'll stick with the curd 'rise' please ;-)

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-33.jpg

We had stayed over here the previous night...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-34.jpg

Byalukuppe...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-35.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-36.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-37.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-38.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-39.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-40.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-41.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-42.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-43.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-45.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-46.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-47.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-48.jpg

Sparrows! They are becoming quite rare these days in Bangalore...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-49.jpg

My souvenir from Byalakuppe ;-) Now there ain't an itch that I can't scratch...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-50.jpg

Near Mysore, on the way to KRS. A flying truck!

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-51.jpg

KRS Dam...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-52.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-53.jpg

Brindavan Gardens...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-54.jpg

The musical fountain at KRS. Actually the one near Raja's seat in Madikeri is better choreographed...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-55.jpg

Should have carried a tripod for the night-shots...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-56.jpg

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-57.jpg

The Jaganmohan palace art gallery...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-58.jpg

The Mysore palace...

'Xing'ing around ! - Mysore, Byalukuppe, Madikeri, Bhagamandala, Talakaveri, Dubare..-59.jpg

------------------------------------------------------
Where to next?
Old 11th March 2009, 23:23   #6
BHPian

Dubare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
This would be nice trip, I would like to visit Dubare after this rainy season in October.
I heard very less animal spotting around Dubare forest but interacting with Elephants in the camp would be great treat in Jungle Lodges. They have day package for that, we need not stay there. I saw in TV elephants play football etc.. I am convincing my entire family to join us for Dubare trip and making preparations from last 3 months.

Regards,

Ravi.
- Right now there is not much of water in the river and it is not exactly so clean either, would definitely be a good idea to visit Dubare during / after the monsoon. Most of the activities get over in the morning, so you might have to start very early in the morning from Bangalore or you can either stay overnight in Mysore and start off early towards Dubare... or stay in a resort in / around the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You really are going places in your Xing Thing!
Good going, and we're waiting for the pics!
- Thanks @Steeroid !
Old 12th March 2009, 09:01   #7
BHPian

Great photographs again, hotstuff. The temple, monastery, palace all look awesome.

Do they allow visitors inside the monastery? I mean, won't too many visitors kill the tranquility of the place? I want to visit the place, too!
Old 12th March 2009, 09:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats good report, thanks for sharing and the information.

Ravi.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:21   #9
BHPian

Neat travelogue and excellent pictures hotstuff.

You have a great sense of humour. Keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
Stopped in Madikeri for lunch and saw these 'interesting' items on the menu. I'll stick with the curd 'rise' please ;-)
Isn't that a "Chinese restaurant" in the heart of Madikeri? Forgot the name.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures again hotstuff.

As for the 'Grave Items' in the menu! No thanks!

Quote:
You have a great sense of humour. Keep it up.
Quote:
Today's Pandi, Tomorrow's Pandi Curry...
Old 12th March 2009, 20:47   #11
BHPian

Nice photos. This travelogue has added yet another route to my ToDo list.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice report and pics hotstuff. Its really nice reading your travelogues. Did you take the road pics while moving in Santro (your 3rd pic)? Its too dangerous man...
Old 12th March 2009, 22:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well the bhagamandala temple has just been renovated. Its the most sacred temple in the district alongside the Padi Iguthappa temple. You should have visited there too as its really tranquil.

Anyone is allowed inside the monasteries. People dont disturb the monks and the monks usually dont bother about you too. Search around this area as you will usually get yummy momos and other tibetian cuisines.

Coorg is the best during the rains.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Anyone is allowed inside the monasteries..
Thanks maddy. Really eager to go there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
People dont disturb the monks and the monks usually dont bother about you too.
Reminds me of one of the stages in Tomb Raider II .. Barkhang Monastery. There are monks walking about, and you (Lara Croft) are free to roam around. But if you disturb them you will discover that they are good fighters and can kick ***. It's a game anyway.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
Bhagamandala Temple…

And I suppose 'stapad' means 'stuffed'!

Most Viewed