Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 17:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer absolutely brilliant pics man. Sad part is that your vehicle let you down, truly a lemon sold to you. I don't intend to rub salt into your wound but then inspite of all this whole drama the folks at TASS weren't able to deliver to your expectations.

Whats taking you so long to take a call and ask for an exchange of the vehicle ?
Old 17th March 2009, 17:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Whats taking you so long to take a call and ask for an exchange of the vehicle ?
lol, what makes you think I havent asked for exchange...!
Old 17th March 2009, 17:46   #48
BHPian

Nice travelogue man, reminds me of my trip to the same places last year during monsoon. Now raring to visit these places in winters (looking at the snow) Pity about the breakdown though.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the coolant level was alright as it was leak from there. I appreciate the waterfall on SUV picture and can figure out frustration when a car gets struck in these places.
But did you try adding water to coolant reservoir ?
Did you figure out the coolant level was low when you did the inspection second time ? I think that adding a bit of water might have been a temporary help. The other solution is to hit 140 kmph, not possible on mountain roads.
Also its surprising to see some good people in the tourist places. I think they were the real ones to rescue you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
ti guys and unsurprisingly there is a MASS at Reckong Peo. So if you want to tour remote places, buy a Maruti, even if its a 800. You will not get stuck for the want of service!
I dont know if its over-confidence or not, but generally the 800 wont break down in the first place.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:45   #50
BHPian

Wow!! thats some nice pictures.The place is awesome, with your powerful white safari on beside the beautiful scenary becomes even more awesome.
These were my first thoughts when seeing the pics, but as i read along,your safari becomes a powerless creature.You must have a horrible time then.

now i have to wait till tomorrow for the rest of the ride, since i am leaving the office.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

I learnt this lesson the hard way in 2003, when I was holidaying in Bhowali. My wife and I, both, had Airtel connections and it worked in cities except for the mid area on the highways. But in Bhowali I had no signal. Had to climb the top of the cottage and hold my mobile above my head to get a single bar.

Saw a lot of the locals yapping away happily on the mobile; asked them and found that CellOne (the BSNL) connection worked all the way to glory. Tried getting one pre-paid card but none were available in Nainitaal, Ranikhet or Almora - reason - short supply. Cursed my self.

On return to Delhi, surrendered my wife's Airtel and got a Dolphin post-paid. Happy traveller thereafter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller;1217359One of the morals of Tanveer's story: [B
Always head for the hills with one Airtel and one BSNL post-paid connection working[/b].
At 1200 RPM...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The other solution is to hit 140 kmph, not possible on mountain roads.

Last edited by gd1418 : 17th March 2009 at 18:52.
Old 17th March 2009, 19:10   #52
BHPian

Amazing pics and travelogue - waiting to hear the remaining part of the story.
Old 17th March 2009, 19:51   #53

Great travelogue. The pictures are amazing. This part of the country is simply breathtaking. Every time I read a post on this part of world, it makes me miss my country even more.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff Tanveer. Your Safari gave you a bigger adventure than your trip as a whole. I can imagine how it must feel geting stuck in the middle of nowhere without connectivity. Ive been stuck once- not in a Safari - and trekked 8kms in the hot sun.

Imagine what would happen if one were to get stuck between Lossar & Gramphoo. Regardless of which vehicle, that place is no mans land in hell.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@ravibhat: Your would-be ride = a 2009 Safari? After going through this thread, I thought you'd have already changed your signature!

Mr SS Traveller after going through ADC's thread would you mind changing your statement? If no, you should stop making such statements.

Old 17th March 2009, 21:32   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

Mr SS Traveller after going through ADC's thread would you mind changing your statement? If no, you should stop making such statements.
@ rrsteer, ravibhat, adc: Looks like Safaris are best meant for "Bongoshontaans" who have a touch of poetry in their hearts. Tanveer isn't one of that tribe! Maybe a Safari would be good for me!!!
Old 17th March 2009, 22:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
At 1200 RPM...?
The trick is this. Allow the car to cool down, then the ECU will no longer be in the safe mode. At this time accelerate hard and quickly reach a high speed. At the high speed the air coming in is quite fast and this would keep the entire set up cool. But this is simply impossible on mountain roads.

We used this trick in Maruti 800 carb ( I know it didnt have ECU, but I am focusing on the air keeping the set up cool ). We were headed for Mt. Abu in car. Near Mehsana, Guajarat, a dog hit our car. We did brake, but it was late. The pace was around 90. The radiator was cracked. We realized this when we reduced the speed after the dog hit. Decided to come back to Mehsana to get repairs. Dad drove in 100-110 kmph zone. There was no overheating problem till we reached Mehsana.
Old 17th March 2009, 22:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

superb pics as usual Tanveer. more please
Old 17th March 2009, 23:09   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
We were headed for Mt. Abu in car. Near Mehsana, Guajarat, a dog hit our car. We did brake, but it was late. The pace was around 90. The radiator was cracked. We realized this when we reduced the speed after the dog hit. Decided to come back to Mehsana to get repairs. Dad drove in 100-110 kmph zone. There was no overheating problem till we reached Mehsana.
Very lucky/leak was minimal, otherwise engine would have seized up driving at those speeds without coolant. Even if the air draft is there, if the liquid cooled engine loose the coolant it will seize or atleast leave a good amount of scar on the engine.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:55   #60
BHPian

Hey Tanveer,

No words can explain the frustration you must have been in due to this incident. Waiting for rest of the story !!

However, the pictures are simply amazing. Especially the one in the Chitkul.

Naman

Most Viewed