Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 22:47   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

But some people never learn. I am one of them. I have not learned yet that I should not dream, because dreams come crashing down......
Mebbe being twice your age prompts me to say this, but that statement was unnecessary called for.

Bhai thoda corporate awareness rakho, raise a stink, get a Landy/Ranger instead of a Safari.

You get the drift you are in the game,

BTW, karma has one rule = nothing happens without a purpose, on hindsight, I underwent a life threatening accident, without a scratch, car scrapped.

The reason for the accident was that I was saved a potential loss and life threatening incident.

Jo hota hai, bhale ke liye hi hota hai bhai.

Cheers
M
Old 18th March 2009, 23:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

mmmjgm >>Wise words indeed.

The wheel never turned without a reason. Its Karma cola all the way.

My 2 many cents.
Old 18th March 2009, 23:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

I want to rate this as the best travelogue in a TATA Vehicle! I really hope that someone from TATA reads this and start to hire some good engineers and get good suppliers for the parts!
M.A.S.S, as advertised by M.S & experienced by Tanveer, is present everywhere in India!
Old 18th March 2009, 23:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, lovely travelogue, hooked me up completely.

On a hindsight, shelved my plan to get a Safari. Have read quite a few horror stories of Safari's non-reliability and this one puts the nail.
Old 19th March 2009, 00:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

I had the same query, why the radiator was not checked by you in the second place when you repeatedly stopped to let the car cool down. But if it ends well, its all OK.
The nice mystery is 8L ( *8L! ) coolant vanishing. I hope its not consumed up. There can also be some sort of leak from gasket ( wild guess ). What you call oil, are there any chances that it happens to be coolant ?

The response of dealers is quite nice that is what I can make out from this thread. I think its now all upto tata to get a QC dept.

Quote:
But some people never learn. I am one of them. I have not learned yet that I should not dream, because dreams come crashing down......
OT:
I am one with lot of shattered dreams, so now I dont dream. Dreaming just hurts. This is from my personal life specially from my academic career. I learnt not to dream the hard way round.
Old 19th March 2009, 00:22   #96
Senior - BHPian

wow, this log is no less than a adventure trip. I really feel bad about your trip spoiled by Safari.

BTW the character LUCKY is very intesting .

And you will talking about this trip for long long time
Old 19th March 2009, 10:17   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanveer had to get some sleep so he left us hanging with a mysterious ending ;-) Need more crisp and lovely pictures. May be one of two of you smiling too.

OT here and maybe for your other thread but lets face it if this was one off incident you would have not been so bitter. Things happen and you overcome them - as you did. Enjoy that instead of negatives. If I recall may past 25 years of driving so many breakdown balanced with so many event free journeys.

Maybe time to start a thread about travel break downs and how it was overcome?
Old 19th March 2009, 10:31   #98
sps
BHPian

amazing experience dude
What a service on offer from the T.A.S.S.
What would have happened if there after sales was like Tata's QC?
Not that the ordeal which the customer has to go through is taken lightly. But atleast something soothing is there.

I am also a big fan of safari. But decided against it when I finally made the purchase of UV. Now I am a fan of its looks alone. Nothing more than that.

Pleasure to see, but nightmare to own !!!
Old 19th March 2009, 10:42   #99
Team-BHP Support

Maybe the pipe had come off long back and the radiator was open.
No fresh coolant coming in and the opening caused by the pipe coming off caused the coolant to simply evaporate.

When driving in the plains the air was keeping the engine cooler.
As you reached the mountains, two things changed.
The air got less denser and very dry.
The lesser density caused lesser air to be available to cool the radiator.
The dry air caused the rate of evaporation to shoot up.

End result the radiator dried up and the coolant is lost into thin air, literally.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:23   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I had the same query, why the radiator was not checked by you in the second place when you repeatedly stopped to let the car cool down. But if it ends well, its all OK.
I kept on checking the coolant reservoir which was full!
Quote:
I am one with lot of shattered dreams, so now I dont dream. Dreaming just hurts. This is from my personal life specially from my academic career. I learnt not to dream the hard way round.
Well I am already dreaming of my Leh trip and tentatively got 3 weeks of leave sanctioned around mid Aug/Early sept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Tanveer had to get some sleep so he left us hanging with a mysterious ending ;-) Need more crisp and lovely pictures. May be one of two of you smiling too.

OT here and maybe for your other thread but lets face it if this was one off incident you would have not been so bitter. Things happen and you overcome them - as you did. Enjoy that instead of negatives. If I recall may past 25 years of driving so many breakdown balanced with so many event free journeys.

Maybe time to start a thread about travel break downs and how it was overcome?
No more pictures now. The pic of the road is the last one we clicked, after that it was all drive back.
Anyways I am not stranger to breakdowns, and have suffered 3 of them from the indica, and 2 of them from the safari, including this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Maybe the pipe had come off long back and the radiator was open.
No fresh coolant coming in and the opening caused by the pipe coming off caused the coolant to simply evaporate.

When driving in the plains the air was keeping the engine cooler.
As you reached the mountains, two things changed.
The air got less denser and very dry.
The lesser density caused lesser air to be available to cool the radiator.
The dry air caused the rate of evaporation to shoot up.

End result the radiator dried up and the coolant is lost into thin air, literally.
Well I dunno, I am waiting for the service center to tell me exact problem. I have a very long drive planned this weekend, so if I get car back by tomorrow, I can leave saturday, and back on sunday.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:57   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Well I dunno, I am waiting for the service center to tell me exact problem. I have a very long drive planned this weekend, so if I get car back by tomorrow, I can leave saturday, and back on sunday.
BTW, did you drive the Safari all the way back home or you had to take an alternate travel.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
BTW, did you drive the Safari all the way back home or you had to take an alternate travel.
He not only drove it back but also had a nightmarish experience trying to change a punctured tyre - shoddy TML nut quality again
Old 19th March 2009, 12:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Good narration.

It did feel like driving through the Himachal valley. Looks like the roads do offer a lot of challenge there.

Though there is no chance for me adventuring in to the Himachal valleys, the place is worth visting. Yeah - at least in the dreams.
My dear Bijuks, I also had the same combination of aspirations and fears but we managed!! If you need how it feels for a first timer to do the same trip this thread is about, please look for a travelogue called "Three first Timers and Mountains to Cross". Must be on page 9 or 10.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Bijuks, that's a strange statement!
What is holding you back?
Those routes are routinely done by almost all cars! The singular omissions being Mercks and Audis and BMWs, LOL!!
Does this means they are not Capable of doing this May be those are just like another White Elephant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wow, this log is no less than a adventure trip. I really feel bad about your trip spoiled by Safari.

BTW the character LUCKY is very intesting .

And you will talking about this trip for long long time
I dont know how you forget to check the radiator. From a Good Old Amby days we used to see putting water in Radiator if engine heats up.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:22   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
I dont know how you forget to check the radiator. From a Good Old Amby days we used to see putting water in Radiator if engine heats up.
Because this is not old amby.
If you open radiator its dark inside. So the only clue to coolant being there or not is the coolant tank.
Coolant tank was full. Temp guage always stayed slightly below half mark
So no reason was there to suspect overheating.
It took even the TASC guy a while to figure out radiator had no water, He initially changed the temp sensor

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks