Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 12:14   #1
Team-BHP Support

Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread

Hi, Since the old thread is not working I am starting this new thread.
Old thread is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-remember.html
Page one of that thread has the previous sections, do not click on page 2/3

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th March 2009 at 12:39.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Day 3, Part 2 : Sutlej, Sangla, Chitkul..... More fun and more frolic

Next step could be two things, go to Nako, 4 hours of drive and come back late night... or go to Chitkul and enjoy
Well, plan B was chosen, since we planned to leave Kalpa next morning.
Plan was to go to Shoja over Jalori pass, a tame 7-8 hours drive from Kalpa, rest there for a day, and then head to Delhi.
But Plans are made to be broken right, though at that moment, we did not realize that.

So we started our drive towards Chitkul, planning to go to sutlej on the way.
The view was terrific!
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492638403_efas7l.jpg
As I slowly and steadily crawled the safari over the nightmare roads, I spotted a dirt track leading down to the river
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492639481_5rnyvl.jpg
The sky was deep blue, and lofty naked mountains all around us
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492640908_krjssl.jpg
The river was quite dirty, so did not venture into the water. Due to lack of rains, there was too much dust all around. Downstream it gets even dirtier
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492642757_7gjvrl.jpg
The white elephant
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492644001_xj7jtl.jpg
Another wide angle view
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492646796_zkzqhl.jpg
After few minutes there, we proceeded towards Karcham, and from there we would head over to Sangla, have lunch, and then go to Chitkul!
Drive to Sangla was uneventful, and we had lousy momos at some Sonu Cafe. Off season means you don't really get much choice.
The place also served Jam Paincakes, and Butter Paincakes.
We did not realize that the signboards were warning us of the pain to come.
anyways, we were enjoying, clicking pics
After all, how often do you see such views. After Sangla the place got better, as we went towards chitkul. We could just gawk and wonder, if the winter had not failed, how beautiful it would have been
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492648590_r2l93l.jpg
Live to drive....
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492649583_iqwb8l.jpg

On the way to Chitkul, I was aware of some makeshift bridges and river crossings, but they had become mere trickes, and I did not even need to engage 4WD anywhere.
By late afternoon, we were near chitkul, and open meadow greeted us.
What a sight it was!
View from the cockpit
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492650975_auitsl.jpg
what a sight it was!
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492651901_4q3r2l.jpg
Where we came from
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492652557_e2nq9l.jpg
It was the first time we had been to 3400mts above MSL, and the air was crisp and thin, and the sky color was... well different.
Chitkul itself seemed like a ghost town, since everything was closed, and at end of the road there was a rocky path, over which I had to make a U turn. Engaged 4L so as not to put load on the clutch
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492654651_gkxnbl.jpg
After the U turn it was back to 2WD mode, and then I saw the famed "Last Dhaba". Alas, it was closed. No tea for us at Chitkul
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492655635_pozt3l.jpg
Spoke to a villager... and same story, no water here too
Started drive back, looking for ways to go to Baspa river, and spotted a track going to some campsite. Campsite was obviously closed, and the path ended much before the river..
anyways, clicked a few pics
The view was magnificient
Name:  492656314_hSmoFL.jpg
Views: 3392
Size:  220.2 KB
The dirt trail. On way up I engaged 4WD L because it was very steep and slippery in places
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492657100_xqk5nl.jpg
The ride, somewhere under the hood trouble was lurking, waiting to pounce
Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread-492657810_3fmznl.jpg

After a few moments, we started back towards sangla.
Planned to have tea there, and then reach Kalpa well before dinner time, and sleep tight because tomorrow was going to be a big day.
Well it was going to be a long big and tiring day, but who has seen the future, at that time, all we were doing was fun and frolic... but good things do not last forever
........................ CONT
Old 17th March 2009, 12:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just what the doctor order!

Finally, the rest of the story.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it was going to be a long big and tiring day, but who has seen the future, at that time, all we were doing was fun and frolic... but good things do not last forever
I hope the beast did not give up!

EDIT: I asked this question since I have been following the other thread too! LOL!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 17th March 2009 at 12:54.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I hope the beast did not give up!
with all the racket going on, you do need to ask this question.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
with all the racket going on, you do need to ask this question.
Ha ha, I guess he did not read the other thread on the problems he's been facing with the Safari.
Tanveer--those pics were real good. The picture of the Safari's side profile against the backdrop of rocky hills is just too good. I am yet to see an SUV in India that has a side profile as exciting as a Safari's. It's a pity that Tata is not persistent with quality.
Keep posting, please.

Last edited by vnabhi : 17th March 2009 at 12:52.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Magnificent views - the photographs are beautifully composed. I somehow feel this set of pics is better than the previous set posted on the earlier thread - better resolution and clarity.

BTW, what's the screen in the middle of your dashboard? A GPS receiver? Which one?
Old 17th March 2009, 13:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Day 3, Part 3 : The Nightmare becomes real

In a Tata vehicle, there is always an element of adventure involved. Someday, somewhere, it will stop, and not start. It can happen just once in the lifetime of the vehicle, but it will happen. In our case it had happened in New Delhi, on a fine winter evening, so we thought the demon had been banished.
But then, if wishes were horses....
there was a real demon lurking under the hood, waiting to throw the proverbial spanner in the works.
As I descended downhill towards sangla, barely a few kms from chitkul, I felt engine losing power momentarily.
Look at the service light, and it was silent. I dismissed it as a minor hiccup, or illusion.
Then again it happened, and suddenly on a very small incline, the accelerator stopped working.
No matter what I did, the engine RPM was 1200, at almost idle speed, I went over the incline and started descending, confused.
MEanwhile my wife noticed that the AC had cut off on its own.

So the ECU was upto something, and was not telling me about it, since service light was silent.
Barely a few moments later the service light also started blinking.
I looked at the sedimenter, and did not see any warning. No water in fuel, nothing.
Finally at a wider stretch near Rakcham, I stopped.
The temo guage was slightly below half mark where it should be. The coolant tank was full, and the fans were roaring away to glory.

With the open bonnet we stood in the middle of nowhere, with no mobile network, and not a STD booth in sight, scratching our heads.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful pictures Tanveer....
Old 17th March 2009, 13:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Magnificent views - the photographs are beautifully composed. I somehow feel this set of pics is better than the previous set posted on the earlier thread - better resolution and clarity.

BTW, what's the screen in the middle of your dashboard? A GPS receiver? Which one?
Umm same camera, same PP steps
The GPS is a mio C320
Old 17th March 2009, 13:10   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With the open bonnet we stood in the middle of nowhere, with no mobile network, and not a STD booth in sight, scratching our heads.
Let's all demand: Safari ke saath Satellite phone free... Tanveer, you deserve one anyway.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

What was the time when this happened Tanveer? Hope you had some daylight to bank on!
Old 17th March 2009, 13:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The GPS is a mio C320
...and is that attached to a receiver on the windshield?
Old 17th March 2009, 13:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm same camera, same PP steps
The GPS is a mio C320
Beautiful pics tanveer
now my next vehicle has to be a 4X4 no matter what.

what is that thing over Speedo\RPM console on windshield?
Old 17th March 2009, 13:14   #15
BANNED

Quote:
In a Tata vehicle, there is always an element of adventure involved. Someday, somewhere, it will stop, and not start. It can happen just once in the lifetime of the vehicle, but it will happen. In our case it had happened in New Delhi, on a fine winter evening, so we thought the demon had been banished.
But then, if wishes were horses....
there was a real demon lurking under the hood, waiting to throw the proverbial spanner in the works. .
Tanveer,

The thread is really coming up well,Wonderful to see such landscapes. Must commend on your photography

Keep it coming.

OTOH: I would beg you to stop making general statements, it really hurts to hear your problem, we are with you. But not all TATA vehicles. There are so many guys on the forum who swear by its reliability, myself (3yrs ownership) being one amongst a lot many others on this forum.

Thanks for giving unbiased reports of problems faced during the travelogue, this would help a lot of members to prepare for the worst during such a trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks