Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:31   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Salem One Day trip

On Saturday, the 21st Mar, my cousin and I went to Salem for a days trip. We were quite exited about the new 4 lane road to Salem from Krishnagiri.

We left at 8.10 AM and passing through the construction zones in Electronic City, Chandapura and Attibele reached Hosur at 8.50. Once we left Hosur, it was a smooth ride. After a quick breakfast stop at A2B we left at 9.40. Once we passed the Krishagiri toll we entered the L&T roads to Thoppur. Needless to say, L&T has done a great job with the road - road signs, highway phones and the works. They are also installing digital roadside display signs which I believe would be used for real time traffic info in the future. Kewl !!

The Thoppur ghat section has been relaid. But a note of caution: The ghat section to Salem has a number of speed breakers - almost 8-10 of them. This is to avoid drivers driving high speeds downhill on these tight curves. The idea is good; but the trouble is that the first speed breaker comes without too much warning. After that, as you are half expecting them the others are not that much of a surprise.

The road section between Thoppur and Salem has not be completed yet. But you should not have a great trouble driving in that route. But the scenery is great

As usual, you need to watch out for the weirdos driving on the wrong side: Tractors, trucks buses and the occasional bikes and worst of all the bicycles. I don't know when the folks would realize the value of life the risk they put themselves and others trying to save 10 minutes or a quick buck in petrol.

My cousin had a good idea: Why not give the L&T patrol guys rights to issue spot fines for the wrong side drivers?

We reached Salem by 11.20AM. Overall a great drive.

On our way back, we started at 4 and were home by 7.15. Except for the part from Bangalore to just past Hosur town, its a great drive overall. I'm not sure when that would change...
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrajdr View Post
On our way back, we started at 4 and were home by 7.15. Except for the part from Bangalore to just past Hosur town, its a great drive overall. I'm not sure when that would change...
Till that change you can use the Bangalore - Sarjapura - Attibele road. Nice 2 laner and fast as well. Specially it is a boon for people residing in East and North bangalore and near HSR / Koramangala.

Abhi
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:30   #3
BHPian

I travelled to Salem (Yecaud) a week back. The Speed-breakers before the ghat are actually well marked, even the first one. But yer, there are so many of them within sucha short distance that they kind of irritated for a while. But on the same strech during the return journye, there were no speed breakers.

Loved the new roads overall, there is a strech of road which is dead straight and a has visibility of many kilometeres. Ideal drag track i believe .

I could do Silk-board, bangalore to Salem town in less than 3.5 hours, and the return journey in even less time. This is with non-sport mode drive.
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wrong section. This needs to be in the Travelogue section and not the query section.
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:45   #5
BHPian

No pics taken? Would love to see how the Krishnagiri-Salem stretch looks now.

Thanks for the informative report.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

That's a nice trip. The roads till Salem are good. I had gone in this route during last month. The toll booth guys are dressed up neatly with wearing ties, shoes etc. AFAIK, I have not seen people wearing ties and dressed up neatly in toll booths. Here are some of the snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Salem One Day trip-image_071.jpg  

Bangalore - Salem One Day trip-image_072.jpg  

Bangalore - Salem One Day trip-image_073.jpg  

Bangalore - Salem One Day trip-image_074.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2009, 18:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

LOL ... that was nice. I hope those guys weren't wondering why you were taking so many snaps of them.

Yes, they've spoiled the downhill track to Thoppur !! Man it was a ripper. I used to love driving down that section. Now its all speed breakers. But I've seen many lorries overturn in those downs as they couldn't control their speeds downhill.

Uphill is even more strange and sometimes funny. I had a lorry roll back at me coz it couldn't pull the load uphill !! Thankfully i was not boxed in and so got away !! Scary thought.
Old 30th March 2009, 18:25   #8
BHPian

Did a trip to Yercaud 27-29th march from bangy. Very nice drive overall with even the uncompleted section of the road well managed by diversions. Some wrong lane mopeds and tractors, but not too much traffic on the route past Krishnagiri.

The uphill from Salem to Yercaud is relatively easy to drive as well, and the whole drive took about 3:45. Some pics:

Mostly the hill roads at Yercaud are wide and easy enough to navigate, but some trickily steep spots are around. Visited most of the common points but couldn't go to see the quartz rock since the road was blocked for construction.

Way back was fast as well, with no speed brakers at Thoppur, and no traffic past hosur since it was Sunday.

~happy tripping
Nipun

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th March 2009 at 18:30. Reason: see note in post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks