Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 21:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

I cannot see any of the pictures in Post #15. Is it only me?

The rest of the travelogue is beautiful.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:38   #17
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in getting the snaps uploaded properly .

Niharika & Wife Sirisha - All Ready to explore another Day

Bhatgaon Bridge on River Shastri

Hedvi Dasbhuj Ganapathi Temple

Velneshwar

Hedvi Beach

Siva Temple next to Arabian Sea @ Hedvi, All along konkan coast u'l find many such beach & temple settings

Arabian Sea At Hedvi

Velneshwar Temple has Shiva surrounded by temples of Vishnu, Ganesha, Kalabhairav

Guhaghar Beach

Top View of Velneshwar Beach from MTDC Resort

Sunset @ Guhaghar

Serene

Parasuram Ghat @ Chiplun - NH17

Prathapghad Fort , King Sivaji's enemies are packed in Gunny bag & dropped in to the valley, not many survived

We are as cheerful as there strawberries by the end of our 4 day journey. Mahabaleshwar is the land of Strawberries during the months of Feb & Mar
Old 1st July 2009, 15:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice travelogue uday.

I might be taking an unplanned trip to Ganpati Phule this weekend. Is the route you have mentioned below the best route?

Also I dont see any availability in MTDC resort except for Deluxe Non AC room. What other similar price options do I have for staying?
Quote:
Woke up early by 3AM on 19th Feb, get ready to hit road by 5AM, through Wakad flyover, Katraj Tunnel, Satara, reached Umbraj [160kms] by 7AM, take right to Chiplun SH 72. Of the 160kms journey till now, NH4 section between Satara - Umbraj is the best. Thanks to very minimal traffic during early morning hours we were able to cover good distance.

Had reached Pathan @ 7.40AM had 20mins stop for break fast at a road side restaurant. Reached Koyna dam by 8.30AM. Spent 45mins in Nehru Garden. Handy cam isn't allowed inside the garden, as it is part of the dam premises & there are restrictions placed as a security measure. Garden is well maintained with lot of flower plantations & trees. My Kid spent some time with the various play options provided in the garden, was always eager to pluck flowers from the garden. Had tea at a near by Tea shop & started our journey to Chiplun through Kumbharli Ghat.

It is all descent from Police check post @Koyna dam till the plains of Konkan. Yes i did almost 12kms of descent in Neutral gear, ofcourse with engine ON, not sure if this is safe driving mechanism, was enthusiastic to try it out, as i read through some posting that some bikers did 15kms of descent on this road.

Reached chiplun around 11:30PM [250kms]. From Chiplun "G'pule" is 110kms, take left on the Mumbai - Goa NH 17, this highway is my favourite highways as it is for most of the TBHPIans. It offers lots twists & turns, rivers criss crossing the highway & greenery all the way. Within no time we reached Sangameshwar 45kms from chiplun, another 35kms we are at "Nivli Patha", from here we need to take right turn for G'pule. We reached G'pule by 2:00PM, total distance is 360kms & time taken is around 9hrs including breaks around 100mins. Speed drops down in the "Chiplun - Nivli section" due to lots of twists & turns and traffic in the opposite direction.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:52   #19
BHPian

Technocrat,

There is another route that you may want to take. This is Pune - Karad - Kokrud - Malkapur - Amba ghat - Sakharpa - Pali - Hatkhamba - Ganapatipule.

This one is shorter than Umbraj - Chiplun route.

I have not traveled on this road in last 6 months, but in last 7 years, I have rarely found the road conditions unacceptable.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sschivate

What is the distance in this case?

Also which one has less steep ghats, I have an Alto
Old 1st July 2009, 18:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Technocrat: please visit Marleshwar (immediately after the rainly season)
you will miss something if you do not visit there.
it is about 50KMs from Ganapatipule.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:28   #22
BHPian

@ Technocrat: Guhaghar is really having a marvelous 3 kms. beach, also has many hotels there. Its my native place. If you want to live there, feel free to PM me. Will give you the detailed information.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

Added Marleshwar to the list

@dhrishikesh- thanks man, Is Guhagar on same route? or are you suggesting its better than Ganpatiphule
Old 1st July 2009, 19:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Friggin' awesome travelogue! The pictures you have taken make me so wanna get in the car and go out there immediately.
Ive been down the coastal road so many times and still want more - love it.
Old 1st July 2009, 21:50   #25
BHPian

While you are coming from Hedvi, come till place called Modkaghar & then left turn for going to Guhagar, right turn will take you towards Chiplun.
Ganpatipule is good for its white sand but not at all good for swimming but Guhagar has got lovely virgin beach of 3 Kms. very much cleaner & safe than Ganpatipule.
You can live in hotels (Kautilya, Annapurna) & can also have home stay. There are total 2 parts of Guhagar - Varcha Pat & Khalcha Pat.
Hotels, S.T. Stand etc. are in Khalcha Pat & good home stay can be available in Varcha Pat. (For good home stay, I will suggest Mrs. Vasudha Jog, Tel. No. 02359 - 240875). My home is next to her home.
Please PM me your contact number so I will give more details.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again. But the idea behind the trip is to check out some beaches (not interested in Swimming), visit the temple & few nice scenic places around the place.

But yes next time when I want to go to a proper beach I think Guhagar would be a better choice
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Technocrat,

There is another route that you may want to take. This is Pune - Karad - Kokrud - Malkapur - Amba ghat - Sakharpa - Pali - Hatkhamba - Ganapatipule.

This one is shorter than Umbraj - Chiplun route.

I have not traveled on this road in last 6 months, but in last 7 years, I have rarely found the road conditions unacceptable.
+1 to this suggested route. I took it on 7th March 09 and I strongly suggest this route. I have my travelogue on T-BHP and distances are provided in the same.

takecare and drive safely

Rajesh
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:42   #28
BHPian

There are total 2 temples there in Guhagar, in Khalcha Paat - Vyadeshwar Mandir & in Varcha Paat - Duegadevi Mandir.
When you will drive towards Veldur, there a Dhardevi Mandir, here ou have to climb up the hill, a great view of beach can be viewed.
In Guhagar Taluka, there is Velneshwar Mandir & also a famous Ganpati Mandir @ Hedvi.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rajesh, this route looks nice.

The ay I understand it the route in like this

From Pune start on Bangalore highway - Take Katraj Bypass - Reach Karad - Take a right turn from Kalephata - Malkapur - Pali - Nivali Phata - Ganpatipule.

Right?
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks Rajesh, this route looks nice.

The ay I understand it the route in like this

From Pune start on Bangalore highway - Take Katraj Bypass - Reach Karad - Take a right turn from Kalephata - Malkapur - Pali - Nivali Phata - Ganpatipule.

Right?
You got it!! Also once you turn right at Kalephata, enjoy huge Windmill farms on your way to Malkapur.

I wish you have a happy journey and if you need anything, call me on my cell. I will send it to you through PM.

takecare and drive safely

Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks