Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 00:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice illustrated write up of, not just an adventure, but a whole experience.

Thought provoking.

Thank you
Old 29th March 2009, 15:08   #17
BHPian

It was a decade back that I went on a journey from Almora to Champavat. I don't exactly remember all the names of the places that the state transport bus took me. What I remember was the landslide that wrecked havoc all the way. It was mesmerizing as well as scary. Once I saw an entire hill, or rather half of it simply washed off. I tried to climb up to the top and managed to look down. One of the most dangerous activity I ever did. Usually the south-eastern monsoon makes it presence felt in the himalayas. What perplexed me, a southener, was the nonchalance on the faces of people near weather ravaged places. I believe only people in the mountains can muster that.
To enjoy the himalayas I would recommend anyone this route: Delhi-Almora-Pithoragarh.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Reminds me of the special stages of the Himalayan Rally. Nainital to Ranikhet via Pithoragarh and then onwards to Mussoorie. Landslides were very common.
Old 31st March 2009, 22:11   #19
BHPian

Genesis:

Lovely narration, excellent photographs and a brilliantly honest analysis of the two gentlemen.

You do like kids - don't you?! The pics of those lovely innocent kids are fascinating; the "Sheperd boy" pic is an award-winner!! - how did you manage to capture that absolutely stunning expression on that beautiful face?!

Oh, by the way, the two consecutive photographs with the first one showing the man igniting the dynamite fuse and the next one without him appears that the man got vaporized in the explosion that followed!!

-GT-
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:10   #20
BHPian

@@GT: Thanks for the comments! The breaking of the rocks using explosives was quite a learning experience. The workers were so nonchalant about it.

Stuff the gunpowder, put in a fuse, take a long drag from a bidi and then run...

Here is a photo of the raw materials other than the bidi!

Landslides In Paradise - Lessons In Leadership-22_stoking_the_hole_web.jpg

Also attached are some pictures of village life captured as we waited

A water powered flour mill or panchakki
Landslides In Paradise - Lessons In Leadership-07_water_powered_flour_mill_web.jpg

Water mill operator
Landslides In Paradise - Lessons In Leadership-08_kumaoni_lady_in_mill_web.jpg

Weaving Baskets
Landslides In Paradise - Lessons In Leadership-09_basket_weaver_web.jpg

Another village belle
Landslides In Paradise - Lessons In Leadership-12_tea_stall_owners_daughter_web.jpg

@lejhoom: A picture to remind you of the road
Landslides In Paradise - Lessons In Leadership-24_road_to_munisiyari_web.jpg
Old 1st December 2010, 20:35   #21
BHPian

came upon this while looking up routes to munsiyari. beautiful da!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks